• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installation ???? - elect fuel pump........

trip

Local time
9:59 AM
Reaction score
ok - the latest plan to help my 66 Hemi Satellite start - is to install an electric fuel pump - theory being the re-built Carters don't hold much fuel
and it evapoates quickly - so it will not start without a shot of gas poured
in - (already tried new fuel pump, even tried relacing the push rod) - SO
the questions are to install Holley Blue Electric Fuel Pump...
1. Bypass the stock one or keep it?
2. Where to install on B body?
thanks, Trip

Start by disconnecting the carb inlet fuel line and inserting into an antifreeze container or anything like that.You may need to put a length of hose on to get it into a container.Now engage the starter to see if you are getting fuel up to the carb.If not,then the pump could be bad or your pick up system is suckin air.If you are getting a fair amount of fuel,than the fuel inlet needle and seat need to be checked and readjusted.If you do in fact already have fuel in the carb,then the accelerator pumps may be bad.Check that before messin with an electric pump:grin:

An alternate solution - if you don't have any other problems with the fuel system other than the evaporating fuel - is to use a small electric at the tank to push fuel into the carbs before starting. You can hear the noise from the pump change when the system pressurizes and then you can shut it off. The fuel will pass through the electric when off and the mechanical can take care of the rest of the fuel delivery duties. This way you won't have to listen to an electric pump at all times (if that's an issue for you - it is for others).

When you put that electric pump in, you might want to wire in a low pressure oil switch if you plan to leave it on continually. If you really want to do a thorough job, you can also wire in a vacuum switch that kicks on below 4 inches of vacuum.

Electrics scare me because they dont have the ability to shut-off in the event of an accident and fuel leak, unless you are still awake.

thanks for the advice - I am in process of mounting - evidently I am not the only one
who has had this problem....will put switch as dash. I hope this works -
appreciate it
Trip (66 Hemi real deal Satellite, 66 Coronet)

You are right about this becoming a more common problem. I believe it has something to do with this new blends of gas being foisted on us. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back