• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing new Borgeson Steering Gear conversion this afternoon

Well, spent about a day of racing at Willow Springs, then a low fuel level, odd low oil pressure and steering pump issues kept me in the pits for the last sessions.

The low fuel level is being remedied when I get a baffled road racing tank in a couple weeks. I have EFI and an in-tank pump, and I literally cannot stand the design of the kit. Fuel slosh happens on turns when the fuel level is about 1/4 tank. So a new tank it is.

Not sure about the low oil pressure, but I think I will need to get a baffled oil pan as well, I've seen one but can't remember who.

The steering gear was great, I really do like the firm feel to it, but it's a bear if the engine isn't running. I'm going to flush the system and use something with a higher boiling point, I'll see what Borgeson says, but it was too much for the PS fluid I had in the pump, and it's a fresh rebuild.

Bottom line, it was fun and I was able to knock about 3 seconds off my previous time, but my biggest problem is that I have a non-race set up with my transmission: low gear set and freeway gears in the rear. When I need a lower gear, I can't use it because the engine would rev too high. So lugging along with 3.23 gears at lower speeds takes a while to pick up speed. Next spring, hopefully: 408 stroker and Tremec trans. We'll see.

The Borgeson gear is going to be a very firm feel and since I race (and drive the car pretty hard) it's a good thing, but might be a bit firm for some. It's not bad, mind you - Moparcrazy drove my car, so he could let you know his opinion, too, if he wants to jump in.

68SS - I should be there, I'll look for him if I go. I think I might, would love to drive the car up there again! Thanks for the info!

After having my PS fluid boil over and overheat, I decided to put some synthetic fluid in the reservoir and try it out. I got as much out as possible, turned the wheel a few times to get fluid out of the gear, then filled the reservoir with Royal Purple's Power Steering Fluid. I let the engine turn over a couple times with the return hose draining into a pan to get more of the old stuff out, and then finally connected the hose and filled the reservoir.

Results? Steering is a little bit softer, and a lot smoother. The synthetic fluid (which Borgeson recommends) has a higher boiling point, holds pressure better, and won't foam up. It's a small investment if you swap to the Borgeson Conversion Gear Box, and although I haven't been able to race with the RP fluid, I can tell that it is better than conventional fluid. Another fluid to try is Redline's Power Steering Fluid.

I'm glad I swapped the fluid out, and it's not that expensive, I only used up three 12 oz bottles (about $4 each at O'Reilly Auto Parts).

If you decide to keep running the poly these will help!
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...Ported-318-Poly-Heads&highlight=cnc+poly+head

I haven't driven the FF setup, so I am curious how firm it is over the stock PS box. I just got my car from the alignment shop today, and of course it poured rain on the way home...and it was dark... so it was nice to have such a firm grip on the road and firm steering. I'm liking this borgeson box already!

- - - Updated - - -

Yep... racing it with the Poly. Unfortunately, not enough horsepower and I need to go faster so the plans are for a 408 stroker by next spring (hopefully).

Can you post a picture of the pitman arm bolted to the new steering box? I've read/heard/seen on other forums about the pitman arm not being able to bolt up far enough on the splines . Almost like the splines were not cut up far enough. This only seems to apply to the large sector, the small sector fits fine. Just wondering if this is an isolated issue ? I was planning on getting one but want this issue resolved first. I run the big sector shaft box currently .

Auto Transport Service
Back