• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing new Spark plugs

Canadian1968CoronetR/T

Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
Ok I just bought a set of plugs for my 1968 coronetR/T, 440 hp.
I thought I was all set I can see them fine I dug out my spark plug socket and ratchet.
That's when every thing came to a stop, my socket will not fit between shock tower and engine, so for the question is do I need a special socket or what's the trick??? Help
Bryan

Some motors you needed to loosen a motor mount and raise the engine slightly to get the plugs out.

I'm guessing #2 plug, for stock heads I think you can get a combination wrench on the plug to get it out, for aftermarket heads with the recessed 5/8" Hex, Snap-On makes a nice short plug socket that will slip over the plug and then you can get a wrench on it.
S9724RHS.jpg

I'm guessing #2 plug, for stock heads I think you can get a combination wrench on the plug to get it out, for aftermarket heads with the recessed 5/8" Hex, Snap-On makes a nice short plug socket that will slip over the plug and then you can get a wrench on it.
View attachment 187774
Thanks I think I have sockets like this, will try tomorrow

Most spark plug sockets have a hex head you can put a wrench on, that's what I do anyways.

Most spark plug sockets have a hex head you can put a wrench on, that's what I do anyways.

X2 You shouldn't have to buy a socket.... use never seize on the threads of the plugs and dielectric grease on everything else

Get help. Every gd task is critical. Hope you got NGK's. Anti seize, torque, gap etc.

I like to set the gap (.035) and prep up everything then change them out one by one and ngk platinum are the best....

You need one of these - offset box wrench. Works every time.

image.jpg

I have have set the car up on jack stands and removed them from underneath PIA but at least you can see what you are doing.

View attachment 187774

Besides of another brand ill do it the same way

I used a 3/8ths drive socket on my 440 Challenger.....but I think I still used an open end to turn it. Dang...30 years passed by in hurry!

Thanks I think I have sockets like this, will try tomorrow

I have the 440 Source heads on my 440, and the #2 plug is so close to the shock tower than I could not get a normal spark plug socket on it, and the spark plug hex is recessed in the head so you can't get a wrench on it. That is why I mentioned the socket above.

Auto Transport Service
Back