• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake bolt question.

Hemi2Much

Local time
2:17 PM
Reaction score
I've heard that on the early 426 Hemi, the intake bolts were hex head, and later they went to an Allen head type bolt.
Can anyone confirm this and if so when did they make this change?
Thanks, JKent

The reproduction kit for 66/67 is a combination of 10 socket head and 6 dowels/nuts for what that’s worth. Might ask dadsbee what his early 66 Hemi has.

I ordered a complete master kit from RTSpecialties, I've seen other kits on eBay and other sites that have the same amount of bolts but they show allen head bolts for the intake.
I thought the earlier Hemi's had hex head bolts for the intake.

My crate Hemi in 02 had hex head bolts, but I bolt a set from Mancini and they were the 10 point head bolts.

I heard the first Street Hemis were allen head bolts, soon after introduction they went to the hex head/stud combo.

Not the greatest picture, but this shows that mine are mostly Allens with 2 studs/nuts and at least one hex. The assembly date was April of '66.

20170809_074053.jpg

Last edited:
That looks similar to the AMK 66/67 kit I bought except that the 4 corner fasteners were also studs with hex nuts, 6 altogether. It wouldn’t be the first less than totally correct part I’ve bought for the car though.

Originally they were 10 allen head including extra 6 for china wall with 6 studs with hex nuts. Unfortunately, over torquing the china wall bolts would break the manifold. So they quickly moved to roll pins only at china wall. 66-67. 68 they moved to hex head bolts, plus the 6 studs. Nothing on china wall.

Question.
I don't have a Hemi but am a HUGE fan of the Elephant.

What is/are (China Wall)?

Slang I guess for front and rear of block where manifold seals. RB has same were intake pan seals against.

My intake is all stainless steel studs along with every else on the engine is studed. However, not really OEM any longer. I tried to keep thing some what stock looking though.

20210918_151018.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back