• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake manifold gasket install on 383 big block

Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but I,ll ask anyway.
How do you install the gaskets on a 383 engine??
Felpro set 1214 comes with 4 of the same gaskets. Two go between the intake and the valley pan, but where do the other two go??
Putting them between the valley pan and the heads create a gap.
Do you just use silicone sealer for the bottom of the valley pan or what??
Thank you for all responses!!
DO YOU SEE THE SATELLITE ABOVE!!

Modified by staff-Email addresses are not permitted in posts, the rules are plain to see...use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really don't need them. A little RTV on the corners of the Valley Pan and then the Manifold. Torque the Bolts down to FSM specs and you are good to go....

I never use the gaskets. I spray the valley pan with copper coat and let her rip.

I went through this on mine too this past summer.
Used a new trey and hi temp rtv

if u really dont want to use those 4 gaskets and just use silicone like they say ill send u a tube of it for the 4 gaskets! yes the other two go under the tray and use silicone on the ends to seal the gap.

I'd be surprised if you can get extra paper gaskets in there. The factory never used them for the 60's cars and I never have either. As mentioned above, copper coat, aviation sealer, RTV is all good. Just don't use too much but do make sure the corners are sealed.

Auto Transport Service
Back