• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior handle Lock Release Function on 70 Charger

Islandkent

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:57 AM
Reaction score
Good morning Fellas
Quick question. The interior door handles on my 1970 Charger should be able to unlock the doors with out pulling up the lock knob right?? My drivers door works like this but my passenger mechanism seem to override that feature. When the door is locked the rod coming back from the interior door handle doesn't move the latch mechanism. When unlock the mechanism moves??? I looked fairly deeply at this yesterday. I can't seem to see any difference between the two. It must be something simple that I'm over looking. Adjustment on the rod position maybe?? Yet both side are mirrored. Does that little cap screw/bolt (allen head bolt) have anything to do with it? I will dig into the service manual but highly doubt it will be mentioned.
One more thing while I'm begging. Turn the key to the right or left to unlock? Both doors should be the same eh?? I know just a matter of taking off the e-clip on the lock tumbler and reversing the little rod holder.
Thanks guys. Going to see if I can master it this weekend while I'm off work.

You have two options: A) In '70, Dr side unlocked from inside while Pass did not or B) Somone replaced the Pass side latch assy with a '68-'69 assy. The key should turn CCW to unlock and CW to lock and yes, both doors are the same.

I thought keys turned away from the jamb to unlock.

Not that I checked.. but wouldn't that require a a L and R specific lock cyl? Or just flipping the rod actuator on the back? Never gave it much thought.

That's the way mine were. While I was at it yesterday I switched the actuator. Yes just flipped it. CCW=unlock CW=locked

Mopars you turn the key toward the front of the car (either door)--because you're getting in to go forward in life with joy--my '04 Ram is still like this. Fords, you turn the key toward the back of the car to unlock, because getting in one is like going backwards in life...:D

Auto Transport Service
Back