• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior mold

Splangj

Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
My car didn’t get driven this last winter. I keep desiccant inside, and drain the water and refill it every month or so. It now has some very light mold looking substance on the soft dash padding. What is the best way to remove this? I’ve used rubbing alcohol in the past, but don’t know if that’ll hurt the material in the future. I used Armorall on my dash years ago, and it promptly cracked, no good.

Never heard of armorall cracking a dash, used it for eons. Can’t see whay that would cause cracking. Some areas you shouldn’t use it due to slippery residue, like vinyl seats and the steering wheel, also good for rubber seals. If you store the car in a humid area, I’ve used drying materials like the packs of silicates you find in packages that absorb moisture. There are a bunch of products on the market for this. I’d suggest using a cleaner that kills mold suitable for vinyl and leather surfaces. I use armorall though as it has a UV protectant, other stuff available if you don’t want to use it..

Pretty much your only choice to remove mold/mildew is bleach. I'm not sure exactly how concentrated the bleach needs to be (5%, 10% ?%) & watch out for your clothes and carpet so they don't get their color bleached out

Lysol spray. Spray it good... let it do it's job and wipe. Entire interior in my Bee went moldy while stored inside a marine container for 10 years. Cleaned up fine..

10% bleach/water, wipe it off. Then warm soap and water. Dash will be new again.

Ok, thanks all. I’ll let you know what I used and how it worked.

I had a little bit left over in the Charger. Spray Nine took care of it.

Auto Transport Service
Back