• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

interior plastic panels

Hanny

Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
Looking for ideas on how to make the interior plastic panels look better.
what have people done to these panels? as you can see mine are pretty rough.
I have everything out of car to install floor, paint and add sound barrier.
picture is not the best. there is a lot of pealing of the surface. scatches in the door panels.
This is never going to be a show car but would like it better then it is.
Right now I am just thinking removing all loose material and painting.
Any help would be nice. thank you
interior.jpeg

You can re-texture them. I’ve used SEM texturing spray with what I thought were good results. Another member (Snakeoil24) recently mentioned another product in a thread on re-texturing 66/67 seat backs. Here it is.

66 Bucket Plastic Seat Backs

Painting them should work well as above. You may want to consider an adhesion promoter, like the Bulldog product, before paint.

I think if he is looking for a big improvement, he’s going to need more than just paint to address surface textures that are peeling and scratched.

I’ve been successful working on n interior panels like I would a body panel, with fiberglass and bondo

Painting them should work well as above. You may want to consider an adhesion promoter, like the Bulldog product, before paint.
thanks for the input. speaking of paint you wouldn't by chance know the color to use. I know its white but there are many shades of white. just wondering it you have heard of what others have used. thank you

I don’t know the white shades. My interior is not white and it’s not plastic, other than the kick plates.
Here’s what I would do to prep the parts, but it’s difficult to tell from pictures how damaged the pieces are.
I would get a plastic bristle scrub brush to remove the loose paint - start lightly in an inconspicuous spot to make sure you’re not further damaging the plastic. After it seems like the brush has done everything it can, but you still have some loose stuff, you might want to LIGHTLY go over the panels with a red or green Scotch pad. Again start in spot that is not seen, to make sure you don’t destroy the texture.
From there it depends on how particular you are - you’ll need to eyeball it if it’s good enough for you to move forward to paint.
If so, I would go back to the scrub brush and a spray bottle of dish detergent and water and clean the heck out of it - twice or until no more dirt comes off and making sure there is no grease on the surface. Then adhesion promoter - then paint. But that’s me. You’ll need to decided what’s best for you and what results you’re looking for.

I don’t know the white shades. My interior is not white and it’s not plastic, other than the kick plates.
Here’s what I would do to prep the parts, but it’s difficult to tell from pictures how damaged the pieces are.
I would get a plastic bristle scrub brush to remove the loose paint - start lightly in an inconspicuous spot to make sure you’re not further damaging the plastic. After it seems like the brush has done everything it can, but you still have some loose stuff, you might want to LIGHTLY go over the panels with a red or green Scotch pad. Again start in spot that is not seen, to make sure you don’t destroy the texture.
From there it depends on how particular you are - you’ll need to eyeball it if it’s good enough for you to move forward to paint.
If so, I would go back to the scrub brush and a spray bottle of dish detergent and water and clean the heck out of it - twice or until no more dirt comes off and making sure there is no grease on the surface. Then adhesion promoter - then paint. But that’s me. You’ll need to decided what’s best for you and what results you’re looking for.
thank you, all this sounds good. there are spots on some panels that are so bad the texture is gone. I have some texture products on order. I'm not going for a show car but I don't want people to think they need a tetanus shot before getting in. thanks again

Auto Transport Service
Back