• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Into.. 1974 Charger

RJLOBO55

Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’m Ryan from Cleveland and my father pasted away and left me a 1974 Dodge Charger 440. She’s in bad shape, rust, head gasket blown, and unfortunately the Ohio weather has taken its toll on the barn where he kept. I’m in the Army and I’ll retire in a couple years, but I’m looking to start restoring this behemoth. Any tips, insights, and overall suggestions are all very welcomed. Nice to meet everyone.

(Current pics attached)

Respectfully,

Ryan

IMG_2326.jpeg

IMG_2327.jpeg

Hello Ryan, sorry about your dad. Thanks for taking on the project to resurrect his Charger, it looks like it was a great car in its day!

QL576665_1.jpg

Welcome to FBBO. Nice car. I just finished a 74 Charger last year. First thing I'd do is get the car moved to a dry indoor storage. Then I'd start ordering parts. You know the engine and transmission will need to be gone through. All rubber parts will need replacing. All brake and fuel systems components will need replacing. The carpet, headliner, seat covers will need replacing. Any rusted body parts will need repair or replaced. Look in the parts for sale section for metal body parts. There's a member on here from western Colorado that seems to have a lot of sheet metal parts. Have fun. It's not for the faint of heart.
Terry W.

Welcome! The car is special since it was your dads! Factory 74 440 cars are rare.

Thanks for your service :usflag:

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras
good luck with dad's old car, 74' is still a great looking car/year

welcome to FBBO nice charger project also thanks for your service

Welcome aboard from the Pacific Northwest. Thank you for your service. From what you have said this is a special car for you and you will find lots of great people and information here to help you get your car back on the road.

Have you thought about what you want the car to be when you’re blasting down the road with a huge smile on your face??? Do you want it to be like it was back in the day, or maybe some updates or somewhere in between. Great to see another 3rd gen Charger heading back on the road.

IMG_0672.jpeg

DSCF9007.jpeg

DSCF9014.jpeg

DSCF9006.jpeg

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0251.jpeg

My sympathy on your dad passing.

The 73 and 74 Chargers have a different suspension than the previous Chargers, so parts will be a little more difficult to get.

The guys on this forum are a great source of information.

Keep posting.

1700873277339.jpeg
and sorry for your loss. Get that baby moved so it doesnt get anymore damage.

Welcome to FBBO from a fellow Army vet Ryan!! First things first, the sooner you can get the car out of the dirt and out of the weather the better. Best wishes with your retirement and your restoration project.

newwelcome.jpg
Condolences on the loss of your dad.
Tips? Get the thing out of there and somewhere dry until you can begin work on it!

Welcome from Alabama, if everything is as you say you have an ambitious project. Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress. All sorts of help, parts, and information available here.

Welcome from NJ. Good luck on the project!

Cool car and well worth saving even without the connection to your Dad.

Thank you for your service sir.
And greetings, welcome to FBBO from NY.

Auto Transport Service
Back