• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"INTRUDER ALERT" -new guy needs some help.

Not Right

Local time
7:42 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys & gals. My name is Not Right from Independence, Virginia. I am a C Body guy, from over in For C Bodies Only. I just picked up a '73 Coronet Custom....318, A/C. I plan on making it a Daily Driver. (It is not "Mint".) I have named it Forestgump. I have a Fedora hat that I will wear when driving him. I am an oldster, so I can get away with it. The car is in remarkably good shape.., 20/20. And I already have a long list started. Items #1 & #2: find the rainleak that is making the front passenger floor wet and replace the Driver Door Seal/ Formed Weatherstrip. I have had no luck finding the door seal yet.
The car has always been under roof and so the floor pan is still in great shape.., but it won't be that way for long if I don't find the leak. I suspect it may be in the cowl / vent / drain area. It is not anti-freeze. Any ideas on the rainleak or where to find the door seal will be most appreciated. Thanks for letting me aboard! -Not Right

photo0.jpg photo0(1).jpg photo0(2).jpg photo0(3).jpg photo0(4).jpg photo0(5).jpg photo0(6).jpg

There's something not right about your UserID @Not Right :lol:

Welcome to the site. :welcome:

You can post your questions in the relevant forums contained within this site....answers will follow as long as you provide pictures. :D

Welcome to the forum and hope you get it right.....lol

Welcome neighbor from Wythe Co.
Wow, I got two of you VA boys right here living in places I've been many times before.
I know where Independence is, been through there many a time out of Galax.
Also been to Wythe Co. more times than I can remember.
My work used to take me all over SW Virginia. Gorgeous country, even with Smoky hiding behind every bush. :)

:welcome: from the foothills of NE Tennessee!

Welcome from Indiana! Common leaks that I am aware of that could soak your driver side floor might be windshield or around the posts for your wiper arms.

Welcome, like the car.
Are you related to Not Sure?
As far as the leak, it could be the windshield or check that the drain ports under the cowl are free of debris.
You can check the windshield with a hose, cover up the cowl somehow to isolate windshield from cowl so you can pin it down.
EDIT: Read your post again, sounds like the door seal is the problem. You may need to find something close and kind of make your own. I think a trunk seal might work with super weather strip adhesive.

Last edited:
Welcome from Vermont. Agree with Don, get a helper to run water over it and get inside with a flashlight and search for the offender.

Welcome, like the car.
Are you related to Not Sure?
As far as the leak, it could be the windshield or check that the drain ports under the cowl are free of debris.
You can check the windshield with a hose, cover up the cowl somehow to isolate windshield from cowl so you can pin it down.
EDIT: Read your post again, sounds like the door seal is the problem. You may need to find something close and kind of make your own. I think a trunk seal might work with super weather strip adhesive.[/QUO

Thanks FrnkNsteen, the wiper shafts and windshield seal are a good clue. And thanks to you, Don and Ghostrider, drain ports, windshield and isolating the two to eliminate possibilities..........and a helper would be nice to have. I guess I will just remove all the cowl covers (but hopefully not the fender) and check everything from the roof to the bottom of the firewall. All the door seals are in great shape except for the driver door. And it's the passenger front floor that's getting wet. The whole frame of the door tucks in way beneath the upper door frame/roof moulding by about 3/4", so unless the car gets a high pressure spray of water coming in sideways, I kinda don't think it's the door seal....but I will test that as well. And the antenna cable, etc., etc.. Also, will investigate trunk seal material for use on doors.....thanks everybody! Oh, p.s........I don't know about Not Sure, but I definitely know that I'm Not Right.

Auto Transport Service
Back