• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IRS for a B-body

Pbmanuel

Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site and am glad to see so many enthusiasts keeping the B-bodies alive! my question is probably one that has been thrown around for a long time. anyone know about an irs that can be grafted or fabbed into a b-body. and from what cars can they be sourced from. Also what places can I get parts and info from. Thanks

Internal Revenue Service :D Independent Rear Suspension....and no, I don't know from what cars they can be sourced from. That's something that most of us here do not do. Yeah, we like to make our cars handle better but most of us like to keep our cars pretty close to how they were manufactured.....

thought some where a while back some one had a post or link to an article about this :icon_scratch:

The modern LX cars have IRS and could be grafted but you'd have to do the work yourself. Nobody I know of makes a kit and if they do nobody on this site has probably used it. I'd venture a guess that north of 90% of the cars on here use leaf springs still and the other 10% probably a 4-link or ladder bar setup for their track days.

Best of luck and if you do it please start a build thread as I'd like to watch it.

I'd be curious about how an IRS would help compared to a nicely tuned live axle, which can be made to handle well. I remember in the 60's when Carrol Shelby tried IRS in the Shelby Mustangs and found no improvement, so stayed with the factory HD set-up.

The problem with a IRS on a A,B or E body is that more parts would be added and made more complex. On the other hand a IRS from later T-Birds or Explorers could be adapted. Some or most still use a 5x4.5 pattern.
As it is now if you want a softer ride change the springs and the shocks used to dampen.

There is a 69 Dart on Pro Touring Mopar that is getting a full Viper setup to include engine and trans. It is a work in progress but is really nice.

http://www.protouringmopar.com/showthread.php?19-Project-SCUD-69-Dart&highlight=viper

69 Dart IFS.jpg69 Dart IRS.jpg69 Dart Engine.jpg69 Dart.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. he is building it in his garage on a home made frame jig.

IMO... as general info.... for smooth pavement handling, a live axle can be made to do OK, especially if you add a track bar (panhard rod) which does 2 things: Locates the live axle much more consistently side to side to get rid of twists in the leafs (which show up a erratic car attitude in the transitions into turns) , and more importantly, lowers the rear roll center. That is the one of the issues that cannot be easily fixed on a leaf sprung, live axle car. (You CAN put lowering blocks under the axle to do this to a degree but that is kinda clumsy, IMO, and can create new problems.)

For rough/bumpy pavement or off-road, the high unsprung weight of a live axle is the killer and there is nothing you can do about that expect put in a lighter live axle but that only goes so far. An IRS is the solution for that; 3- or 4-links don't fix the unsprung weight problems of any live axle.

art morrison.com
roadstershop.com
shwartz performance.com

etc.

Internal Revenue Service :D Independent Rear Suspension....and no, I don't know from what cars they can be sourced from. That's something that most of us here do not do. Yeah, we like to make our cars handle better but most of us like to keep our cars pretty close to how they were manufactured.....
Good for you but you dont have to be such a jerk! I see this is an old post but I am looking to upgrade my resto mod 68 Charger with IRS. Your probably one of those guys that think you have too keep the 14" wheels with polyglas tires!

Heidts, also late model Mustang Cobra IRS.

Good for you but you dont have to be such a jerk! I see this is an old post but I am looking to upgrade my resto mod 68 Charger with IRS. Your probably one of those guys that think you have too keep the 14" wheels with polyglas tires!

If this is going to be your attitude, take it somewhere else. A sense of humor is needed not only in life, but in dealing with restoring old cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back