• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a 340 crank and 318 interchangeable?

RemCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
Just helping a guy find one, his 340 crank is cracked.
I believe the older 318s were forged?
I don't dabble in smallblocks too much.
Thanks!

Balance is different. Bearing diameters are the same.

Only 318-3 HD truck or industrial engines had steel cranks... that said I still havent seen one in the 30od years i have been messing with engines. but the cranks will physically interchange, maybe a poly crank? IDK

As I said i have yet to see a 318 with a steel crank.

Not all....last time to see a teen forged crank came out of a 67 engine.....
True that. There is a ton of "what if" information out there about 318 cranks. & 1's that were cast, 70's that were forged, up to 68, up to 70 not including 71, some 71's. I can't seem to find a definitive list anywhere. Small blocks switched to cast in 72. except for may be trucks. Who really knows. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

273 cranks were forged, right?

Only 318-3 HD truck or industrial engines had steel cranks... that said I still havent seen one in the 30od years i have been messing with engines. but the cranks will physically interchange, maybe a poly crank? IDK
Incorrect
As I said i have yet to see a 318 with a steel crank.
I have yet to get a cast crank, LMAO! Total truth here!
True that. There is a ton of what if information out there about 318 cranks. &1's that were cast, 70's that were forged, up to 68,up to 70 not including 71, some 71's. I can't seem to find a definitive list anywhere. Small blocks switched to cast in 72. except for may be trucks. Who really knows. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
IIRC, …. Nevermind…. I can’t remember….

I have seven 318 engines here 68-69. all forged cranks,340 also forged,68-72

Yes, but too light for a 340. You'll spend a fortune on mallory metal getting it balanced. Ask me how I know...
my 69 273 dart is also a forged steel crank.My 73 340 was cast, as was all 318 engines I came across beginning 1973.

318-3 truck cranks were all the rage back in the 70s and 80s. A very strong crankshaft. The crank had solid throughs where the rods sat. Strong but heavy!
7402498-2cranks.JPG

Yes, but too light for a 340. You'll spend a fortune on mallory metal getting it balanced. Ask me how I know...
You would have to use 273/318 rods and some real light pistons and pins.

I believe a 66-67 318 Poly Crank is Forged and will 'physically' interchange in the LA 340, however,
I seem to recall a problem with the T/Convertor hole size at the rear ?
and they are a far heavier Bobweight that will require Balancing ?

I believe a 66-67 318 Poly Crank is Forged and will 'physically' interchange in the LA 340, however,
I seem to recall a problem with the T/Convertor hole size at the rear ?
and they are a far heavier Bobweight that will require Balancing ?
That would be interesting to find out. I bet those Poly pistons are pretty heavy though. The 273/318 cranks were basiclly the same. The 273's used heavy wrist pins to help the bobweight.

... that said I still havent seen one in the 30od years i have been messing with engines.
Bumping this somewhat elderly thread back up with a question: An associate has a 318-3 crank that I can buy....anyone want to opine a ballpark on what the current value of a "std. x std." one might be? I don't really have any particular 'project' for it to go into, but it's one of those - "yeah....I should probably buy this if I can" situations.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I bought a 1967 318 (build date 12/29/1966) the previous owner stated was pulled out of 1967 Coronet by his buddy, who was the second owner. Before I dropped it in my 68 Coronet wagon I changed the oil pan for a cleaner one and change the head gaskets. It has a forged crank and standard bore factory pistons.

Auto Transport Service
Back