• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a 904 to 727 hard to do?

SteveSS

Local time
7:25 PM
Reaction score
I saw an Abody that was cheap but needed a new trans. If I did a new trans I would use a 727 as the car has a 318. Is it a hard swap? My skills are limited. I know I would need a new driveshaft and yoke. Where should I look for a Mopar 727 preferably locally to Colorado Springs? It's a 76 Volare.

If it's a Volare, why do you want all of the extra drama switching to a 727? Rebuild the 904.
it will be cheaper and it's a good trans! I just wouldn't put 500 HP in front of one.

Get a 727 out of early pickup with 360 and no electronic controls. It will have better guts inside.

I agree with xyzzyx. I have a 904 behind a rather stout 340. I had it rebuilt with a TF1 kit about 10 years ago and I’ve never had a lick of trouble with it.

I'd use the 904. But to do the 727 deal; Needs a new or shorter driveshaft. A Duster 727 shaft fits. Then you may need a conversion U joit if the new shaft doesn't match the axle yoke. Needs a 727 converter and flexplate. The front bell housing stone shield id different so if you use one get that as well. If you currently have floor shift make sure the 727 tailshaft has the 2 small bosses on the bottom fror the shift bracket. Other than that it'll bolt in.
Doug

Stick with the 904, costs about the same to rebuild or modify, lighter, shifts faster, and the car is already set up for it.
My opinion, and that and 5 bucks might buy you a beer.

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back