• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it cost effective to cut down pistons?

Try Blake's machine shop in phoenix off 10 street and buckeye road. This place doesn't look like a machine shop but trust me when you talk mopar your talking to some of the best. He has a collection of mopars that we all wish we had. Right now he runs a 38 with a straight 8 at the salt flats. If you could get in his back yard you would be surprised at all the great cars he has.

Hello Moparfriend,

I have done this with 360 forged pistons in a 340, 1972 engine myself.

But I was taking an 11 to 1 down, nearer to 10 to 1.

A 12.5 to 1 pistons is way too big for a street engine I would say?

With aluminium heads I would stay under 11 to 1.
But with iron I will NOT got over 10...

Very few piston domes are solid so its a lottery how much you can remove?
Sell the 12.5's and buy the correct ones for the JOB!

Dome head pistons are 'old school' technology these days anyways...
They hurt the flame travel across the piston and a FLAT top piston, is much more desirable.

Squench technology is the 'new kid on the block'...:lowdown:

Last edited:
It's funny how the original Mopar Engines manual said that flat tops were the way to go! They knew that way back when.

Hello Moparfriend,

I have done this with 360 forged pistons in a 340, 1972 engine myself.

But I was taking an 11 to 1 down, nearer to 10 to 1.

A 12.5 to 1 pistons is way too big for a street engine I would say?

With aluminium heads I would stay under 11 to 1.
But with iron I will NOT got over 10...

Very few piston domes are solid so its a lottery how much you can remove?
Sell the 12.5's and buy the correct ones for the JOB!

Dome head pistons are 'old school' technology these days anyways...
They hurt the flame travel across the piston and a FLAT top piston, is much more desirable.

Squench technology is the 'new kid on the block'...:lowdown:
Thanks John for your insight points well taken. I am going to buy new lighter pistons and not worry about how much metal would be left. Its not all that expensive for a set of 8. Reducing the reciprocating weight and all cnc matched is not such a little thing as well.

Before I can give a realistic opinion, I have to know: what is the CR now, and what do you want it to be ? You can do all the things everyone mentioned, but why ? Let's not jump to solutions before we know what the problem is.
Actual compression is not known but these domed pistons are 12.5:1 based on the heads I have. Way to high for iron heads and shitty fuel in Phoenix. I am shooting for 9.5:1 but also thinking of slapping on some aluminum heads if so then I will go to 10:1

Try Blake's machine shop in phoenix off 10 street and buckeye road. This place doesn't look like a machine shop but trust me when you talk mopar your talking to some of the best. He has a collection of mopars that we all wish we had. Right now he runs a 38 with a straight 8 at the salt flats. If you could get in his back yard you would be surprised at all the great cars he has.
Hey Bearman have you had any work done there? They look like a general machine shop as opposed to an engine building shop. I am gonna probably need a bunch of work done on the bottom end and block to get the refresh done right.

Actual compression is not known but these domed pistons are 12.5:1 based on the heads I have. Way to high for iron heads and shitty fuel in Phoenix. I am shooting for 9.5:1 but also thinking of slapping on some aluminum heads if so then I will go to 10:1
Ok... so here's a thought. IF you're going to aluminum heads, you can tolerate a bit higher compression. Me ? I'd do an actual CC of the combustion chambers, and then see what a change to aluminum heads with a slightly more volume chamber affects your CR.

Hey Bearman have you had any work done there? They look like a general machine shop as opposed to an engine building shop. I am gonna probably need a bunch of work done on the bottom end and block to get the refresh done right.
Yes i have had work done. Please call them and talk over everything you need and want. I can say that nothing is done second class. The do alot of military work i have not yet had a engine done but i hope i get to very soon.

Mf call maurer's performance 480.968.5056 mopar machine shop. I had a 440 done up and work was also great. He is great guy. Even if you don't cut your pistons he is one to bounce ideas off.

You can remove 40 grams and it wont need to be rebalanced, you'll have an overbalance that we paid more for back in the 70s, you'll never notice the difference.

Mf call maurer's performance 480.968.5056 mopar machine shop. I had a 440 done up and work was also great. He is great guy. Even if you don't cut your pistons he is one to bounce ideas off.
You know he moved to Colorado! I went to see him over a year ago. He was packing up the shop!

You can remove 40 grams and it wont need to be rebalanced, you'll have an overbalance that we paid more for back in the 70s, you'll never notice the difference.
What does “overbalanced” mean?

You know he moved to Colorado! I went to see him over a year ago. He was packing up the shop!
I new he was doing alot of racing up there but i haven't been in touch with anybody in over a year. The covid thing put a stop to that. Now getting back into it will find out who's in and who's out.

I new he was doing alot of racing up there but i haven't been in touch with anybody in over a year. The covid thing put a stop to that. Now getting back into it will find out who's in and who's out.
Yeah I was bummed he was old school and reasonably priced for machine work. Still is if you visit his website.

What does “overbalanced” mean?
Balancing to a 51-55 percent factor as opposed to the standard 50 percent, it's supposed to be a little smoother at high RPMs. In a close to stock bob weight Mopar, you would never know the difference between 45-55.

Those TRW's with pins are gonna be over 1000 grams, probably 1100 grams... My new Icon's are 867 grams with the pin... Thats eight ounces off each piston....

Think about how much quicker the engine will rev, think about how much less stress the rod bolts will be under...

Eight ounces of each piston definitely means the engine will need to be balanced... But it means a lighter bob weight so no costly mallory metal & again the crank will be lighter so it'll rev quicker... And less stress on the main bearings & block...

Those TRW's with pins are gonna be over 1000 grams, probably 1100 grams... My new Icon's are 867 grams with the pin... Thats eight ounces off each piston....

Think about how much quicker the engine will rev, think about how much less stress the rod bolts will be under...

Eight ounces of each piston definitely means the engine will need to be balanced... But it means a lighter bob weight so no costly mallory metal & again the crank will be lighter so it'll rev quicker... And less stress on the main bearings & block...
Less stress on the rods, yes, rev quicker, nothing measurable.

Open Chamber heads are so 1970's lol...

That's why Mother Mopar invented 'pop top' pistons for the 'gas of the day'!

Squench is the new/old system now... Flat-tops and 'closed chamber' heads...
A squench system pushes the mixture towards the plug at TDC!

To do this you need the right pistons for the right head...

Small-blocks need light rods and pistons and 7500rpm...:drama:

The 512ci Big-block in my avatar picture will only rev to 6000rpm, HOW LAME is that...:mob:

The 512ci Big-block in my avatar picture will only rev to 6000rpm, HOW LAME is that...:mob:

Better heads and 7500 would be easy...

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 7.13.43 AM.png

Auto Transport Service
Back