• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it just me or do led work lights suck?

I use a rechargeable LED headlamp for working on the cars. Love it. I have been slowly replacing everything at the compound with LEDs since the price for them came way down.
I'm an old guy and I love them.

I’m not found of them for headlights in vehicles... especially when you stick them in a halogen housing.. offensive to oncoming traffic. Halogen will cut thru the bad weather effectively and not blind..

Many folks are installing LED's in these older cars. Know of very few that actually like the results. Especially with tail lights.
I'll stick with a good ol incandescent bulbs. Just my opinion..
I installed them in a dash.. And They are actually better than the incandescent bulbs. Makes it nice and bright. Otherwise I hate LED lights because they hurt my eyes.

I’m not found of them for headlights in vehicles... especially when you stick them in a halogen housing.. offensive to oncoming traffic. Halogen will cut thru the bad weather effectively and not blind..

Night driving is tough now because of the intense oncoming brightness of modern vehicles and aftermarket headlights. I’m not fond either. It seems the traffic/highway safety board would regulate it. I recently saw a story about, maybe GM, recalling cars because their headlights were too bright but it was like 2012-2018 models.

As far as led lights in general in the garage I like the battery operated ones that attach to a ball cap. Aims right where you look/want. Garage is far brighter too and when shutting down for the night it’s takes longer to adjust for the outside darkness.

In the house I added a few dimmers to adjust intensity for early morning or when necessary.

There are nightlights too and some of those need some softening so the bathroom one is tall, round & red. I wrapped one layer of 3m plastic red electrical tape around it. That makes all the difference in the world.

There is self sticking light filtering sheets available too. Cut to fit.

I’m not sold on LED lighting though. I understand that they can slightly flicker causing headaches and it’s not noticeable. Professionals said that if you see it flickering that means it’s flashing really quick.

I'm using up the CFLs in my drop lights that were in the house that got replaced with LED bulbs. Also using several utility clamp-on lights over my toolbox and and certain work areas. Also like the forehead headlight. A buddy had one of those clamp-on under hood lights at the drag strip one night that I like. It was like 3 ft wide and didn't seem to be too bright....

I have fairly early LED lights (only) in my shop and they are a good 15 feet above floor.
I was concerned at first but I've had no issues at all.
I even took one of them and converted it into a "hang from the underside of the hood" work light.
Works great.
Additionally I have three super bright rechargeable LED lights for various applications and am super happy with all of them.

It's "all about"- lumens, color range and reflector placement (if applicable).

Personal preference i have 8 4’ lights 32000lm in my garage 9’ ceiling love them can’t see without them. Will also be installing same in my new shop Under my mezzanine.

I like neon
1678285321084.jpeg
Nd9GcSBAl-QXB4W2qivsW8xglfECJnZ6ay6WqEfiA&usqp=CAU.jpg

Early in LED's availability, I put some strips under the shelves in my tool truck. It made a huge difference and they didn't use much battery power. .8 amp per 8' strip.

tool truck.jpg

Last edited:
The ones I bought for the shop were just after they figured out how to make them not blue.

Interestingly, they have been installing LED street lights around where I live within the past year.....and they have a VERY blue tint to them.

I have some good ones and terrible ones. I have a magnetic Snap On one (gift) that is super handy but unless it is pointed at the exact space you are working you have to move it constantly. Now if I had 20 of them...the drop light ones I have aren't that great and are very limited to area. As far as the ones in the cars, they look nice enough but I wouldn't put them in mine. Personal preference.

...and we've gone from tens of thousands of watts of incandescent lights at our house to just over a few hundred.

It was 1350 watts just for our car port alone.

Now it's 117.

A "sun" in the same room as me is too bright. When I'm at work we have LED flashlights. I always ask somebody to, "Hand me a little piece of the sun" when I need one. I don't like them. If you shine them at something, it is so bright you still can't see what you want!
That is why I like to have flashlights that are variable brightness; I usually click the button a couple of times to dim the light when working up close.

Many folks are installing LED's in these older cars. Know of very few that actually like the results. Especially with tail lights.
I'll stick with a good ol incandescent bulbs. Just my opinion..
I'm not a fan of led headlights. Looks too artificial for our cars. Where I do like led lights are interior courtesy lights, dome lights, console lights. They make an led that has the same color as incandescent plus they do not get hot. I use to burn my leg on the console light...not any more. No more melted connectors or lenses either.
20171014_211524.jpg

An "old school" sealed beam look with an LED element sure would sell, I'd bet.
Hell those "imac" looking ones sell and some are crazy expensive.
Not sure why no one has offered one for us old car guys.

I have led lights in my new shop that work pretty good. I'm a fan.
20230306_104824.jpg

I like LED's for my shop lights, drop lights etc, but never on a classic car. Everytime I see them on an older car I think they ruined the classic look.

Auto Transport Service
Back