• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is there a differanceon air grabber hood for 383 or 440?

70RR2GO

Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
some one has a hood for sale and said it was for the 383 air grabber. said the 440 one's are easier to find. the main reason i ask is that i may put a 440 in my 70 road runner that has a 383, but won't if i got to buy a different hood or air grabber set up.

The hood and hardware should be the same. The difference is the air cleaner base. The 440 will have a shorter overall base than the 383 and that's so the air cleaner ends up in the same place regardless of engine.

My '70 rr came with a 383 and an air grabber. I never thought about the height difference when I put in a 440, didn't have a problem with it.

My '70 rr came with a 383 and an air grabber. I never thought about the height difference when I put in a 440, didn't have a problem with it.

What breather / breather height are you using? Maybe it's for a 440. My hood has to be adjusted up to clear the oval 69 383 cleaner I'm running on my 440 and it's still tight as hell.

I'll be in the market for a the 70 style eventually though or come across one.

I have now the oval filter on the 383. sound like it will be fine.

What breather / breather height are you using? Maybe it's for a 440. My hood has to be adjusted up to clear the oval 69 383 cleaner I'm running on my 440 and it's still tight as hell.

I'll be in the market for a the 70 style eventually though or come across one.

1970 used a round air cleaner lid, I don't have the oval one that you have. I'm sure that makes a difference. Stock height air filter in place.

1970 used a round air cleaner lid, I don't have the oval one that you have. I'm sure that makes a difference. Stock height air filter in place.

Yep I keep an eye out for one and may get one eventually or maybe a 440 height base instead.

The air cleaner BASE is the important part to consider here. The 440 engine will sit up higher in the engine bay than a 383 because of the taller height. So a 383 base is taller than a 440 base so it will meet the duct work properly. I am running a low deck engine in my 69 RR, with air grabber hood, but I have a 1" carb spacer on it. So I ordered a 440 oval air cleaner since it has less height. And it meets the duct work in the right spot. PG Classic parts in Canada has all the various air cleaners in stock. Oval base and round top unit for the various years. Mine was $345, without the filter element. Fits good, and looks like the orig one. Now they have lowered the price to $275. And they are metal, not fiberglass.

Where do you see them for $275? Their website is listing $345 this morning. Did you get an email with a code?

Classic Ind. is having a 20% off sale right now, should be cheaper. And BE&A has the same parts as PG's and you don't have to pay shipping out of Canada. Good Luck Ronnie

Code RTC13 until the 8th at classic industies 20% off

Auto Transport Service
Back