• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there an aluminum 440 option?

Nice, about the same as a decked out LS so the prices are going to be the same.

I was talking to my builder and he said the engine masters was won by a 426 6.1 with a carb a few years in a row now, $6000 rockers but the base was the 6.1 and the heads were ported stockers I think as well.

I'm getting excited about it now, might need post a project thread or just ask to re-title this one? The car ie being picked up and trailered to me. Its a Sport Sattelite clone that has a 72 440 in it with a 727 trans. I don't know a thing about a 727 trans?

I want to get it running and drive it as is until the new engine is completed and paid for.. going to be a few months away for sure, so I'll need help getting this thing running and road worthy until I can do a full restoration. It supposedly runs with a jimmied in electric fuel pump but its caused a red wire through the fire wall to melt?
Anyway I guess I need a Chilton's and can use all of the help I can get. I''ll post pics as soon as it gets here.
thank you all

Nice, about the same as a decked out LS so the prices are going to be the same.

see.. no offense, but this is where you are going about it ALL wrong. Do not compare makes with each other.. you will just get frustrated and confused. Look at mopar for what it is, not what you think it should be (or in this case, how much it should cost). People do not OWN mopars because they are cheap.. they own them because they are the best. Just throwing that out there.

Its a Sport Sattelite clone that has a 72 440 in it with a 727 trans. I don't know a thing about a 727 trans?

I do know all about the 727's, so if you got a question, let me know and I will help you.

Anyway I guess I need a Chilton's and can use all of the help I can get. I''ll post pics as soon as it gets here.
thank you all

No chiltons, get a chassis service manual... found easily on ebay. This will be the BEST purchase you could ever make for this car.

GOOD LUCK!!!

and :worthless_thread:

All American at it's best....

see.. no offense, but this is where you are going about it ALL wrong. Do not compare makes with each other.. you will just get frustrated and confused. Look at mopar for what it is, not what you think it should be (or in this case, how much it should cost). People do not OWN mopars because they are cheap.. they own them because they are the best. Just throwing that out there.

and :worthless_thread:

Damn skippy!!!! :beavisnbutthead:

Here's a little Christmas poke at the Chevy Guy, soon to be MoPar guy...:poke::p

:christmas cancelled

You guys have it all wrong. I can appreciate both platforms. Comparing costs is something you do when you look at things. I'm selling the 79 z28 and buying the Sport Satellite but I have a 99 Camaro SS with an LS2 457 in it as well :steering:

I don't like the t-tops on the z28 and have been looking for GTX or Charger/Cuda project for a while and the opportunity came up to grab this Satellite/clone car.
Its for my second car.. to haul the kids around in and drive in bad weather. The kids are getting bigger and the Z28 backseats are tiny. More room in the Satellite back seat. I almost got a sweet 66 Chevelle but it was sold before I could out money down.

The Camaro SS has Nitto Nt-01's on it and even though they are a legal street tire they are scary as &*#% in the rain.

But even though its my second car it needs to have respectable power....
and thats where the engine cost comparisons come into play.. just thinking out loud.

I could do a 6.1 440 and keep the GTX theme or return the car to a Sport Satellite and do a 6.1 426 or do the 6.1 426 in the GTX but if its a GTX its need to have a 440... maybe even a 6-pak...LOL
Or I just rebuild the 72 440 and have someone work the heads over and try and keep it on the cheaper side.

For now though I am going to try and resurrect what ever is in it and drive it like that for a while .. maybe...hahaha

Ok, finally got it ! Dark out to late to post pics but this is what is was supposed to look like and maybe did at one time? It has the nice wheels on it.

anyone found complete rear quarters for less than $720 each?

drives.. has a stand alone 1 gal gas tank under the hood....LOL he said the gas has been in the tank for over a year and it wouldn't start.
So it has a hot wired elec fuel pump to feed an edelbrock carb. I'll post pics, its classic but it works and was cheap and very effective. Classictube might be getting a call though for some new lines maybe..LOL

Attachments

• 71_X.jpg
    71_X.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 132
Tooks pics anyway

project begins!

Attachments

• P1010237.jpg
    P1010237.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 141
  • P1010239.jpg
    P1010239.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 140
  • P1010241.jpg
    P1010241.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 150
getting to the bad spots..LOL

Attachments

• P1010243.jpg
    P1010243.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 139
  • P1010244.jpg
    P1010244.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 142
  • P1010242.jpg
    P1010242.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 136
  • P1010238.jpg
    P1010238.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 130
more

Attachments

• P1010252.jpg
    P1010252.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 146
  • P1010247.jpg
    P1010247.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 133
  • P1010246.jpg
    P1010246.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 135
  • P1010245.jpg
    P1010245.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 134
Just so you know the lugs on the drivers side of the car are left hand thread so if and when it comes time to take the wheels off you'll have to spin the lugs in the opposite direction. Just figured I'd let you know so you don't have to learn the hard way like alot of us did, and don't let some pimply faced grease monkey put an impact on there with out telling him that. And Mopars are more expensive for the same reason Crown Royal costs more than water.

Interior is rough..LOL is all I say about that.. I'm psyched.. already looking for parts.. it will need the two rear quarters and that piece under the rear window. deck lid is good and so is the nose and a few other spots are good as well. Wife doesnt know yet.. but I've been prepping her with the need for a bigger back seat and the trunk is huge too!

Decoding of Fender Tag: Botttom to Top, Left to Right
Code Description
E44 318-2 Barrel
D31 Light Duty 904 Automatic Transmission TorqueFlite
RP23 R = Plymouth Belvedere/Satellite
P = Premium
23 = 2 Door Hardtop
GOG G = 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
0 = 1970
G = St. Louis, MO, USA
E83 Paint Code: Unknown At This Time
P385 Trim Grade/Style/Color
P = Premium
3 = Cloth and Vinyl Split Bench w/ Center Armrest
85 = Unknown
EB7 Upper Door Frame: Medium Blue Metallic / Jamaica Blue Irid
216 Date Built: 2 / 16 / 1970

VIW Roof Type OR Color: Unknown At This Time
A01 Light Package
A04 Basic (Radio) Group
G33 Left Hand Outside Mirror - Manual / Chrome
J25 3 Speed Variable Wipers
L31 Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
M21 Roof Drip Rail Moldings
M25 Wide Sill Molding
R11 Music Master Radio AM
V78 Accent Stripes - Delete
END End of Codes

The original color and white vinyl roof are going back on the car :beerchug:

Attachments

• P1010248.jpg
    P1010248.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 136
  • P1010250.jpg
    P1010250.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 131
  • P1010249.jpg
    P1010249.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 144
  • P1010251.jpg
    P1010251.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 137
Just so you know the lugs on the drivers side of the car are left hand thread so if and when it comes time to take the wheels off you'll have to spin the lugs in the opposite direction. Just figured I'd let you know so you don't have to learn the hard way like alot of us did, and don't let some pimply faced grease monkey put an impact on there with out telling him that. And Mopars are more expensive for the same reason Crown Royal costs more than water.

SAY WHAT?!?!?

SO front and rear are reverse threads on the drivers side? Why did they do that? ( early anti theft.hahahaha) Just to make it clear I'm not complaining about the cost, and it was comparable to a chevy engine so I'm not sure why that keeps coming up. The block cost was more. Thats all, not big deal.

well, we MoPar guys don't like being compared to anybody else...i think that why that keeps comin' up; we're our own breed...lol :happy6:

either way, it looks like you have a great starting point for a resto!!! '70 B-bodies are one of the coolest....

btw the exterior panel between the trunk and rear-window is called the dutchman panel...it'll make it easier when you search for it.

Left-handed threads were done more for safety than anything else..IMHO.
it was done 'cuz the lugs wont come off if the are spun left handed...some times they do get changed for "regular" thread at one point, like my GTX. so just take a gander, you'll see it. :headbang:

Thank you
Looks like about $2200 for sheet metal to do it right and I want to look for the rallye dash

Just to clarify the left hand thread lugs are on the left side of the car. It was a safety feature the lugs spin in the opposite direction that wheel spins when going forward, this way they cant work them selves loose from the inerta. Like MarPar said alot have been changed over the years to make life simpler for the owners. It took my tire shop 2 months to get me 10 left thread shank lugs I'll be changing minre out next spring.

Looks nice and solid in the engine bay-
Are you going to finish it orange or original blue

I think either original blue with the white top or a custom color and hardtop. It was probably a real sharp looking car when it was new in that blue. Iv;e seen a few of them and really like it. It's got some real good potential, i'm pretty stoked to be honest. And the wife didnt even say much about it either.

Auto Transport Service
Back