• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This A Mopar Switch?

It’s just me

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
I picked up a 74 challenger a few months ago and a few extra parts were in the trunk. I got everything installed and this switch was the only extra part.

From the pictures he sent me it looks like he has a few B-bodies in the background. If it’s something rare I want to try to get back with him to make sure he gets the part back. I didn’t see a part number, but didn’t really look that hard.

Thanks for the help fellas.
IMG_4392.jpeg
IMG_4394.jpeg

Is it spring loaded? Power top switch

Does it click twice each direction? Rear defrost switch.

Either way it is for a 1970 B-body

Is it spring loaded? Power top switch

Does it click twice each direction? Rear defrost switch.

Either way it is for a 1970 B-body
Not spring loaded. What do you think it belongs to?

Did you read my post? You quoted it,

It is a 1970 b body rear defrost switch.

Did you read my post? You quoted it,

It is a 1970 b body rear defrost switch.
Actually it's a rear window switch for a station wagon which is also used as a power top switch for a convertible.... And yes, it is a fairly rare Mopar part...

He says it's not spring loaded. So doesn't that make it a defrost switch? The convert switch is spring loaded. The top stops when you let go of it.

Yes I own one.

Last edited:
You are probably right but I've never seen one of that style switches used as a defrost switch... But I've seen a Top switch that was crusty & didn't act like it was spring loaded till I took it apart & cleaned it....

You've never seen one so I'm wrong? LOL

His wires are white light green and black.

Wiring diagram attached.
#1 defrost white, lt green, black
#2 tailgate window brown, red, yellow

781C97B6-DEC0-4782-8014-9509B6B3301B.jpeg

2C5CB958-82C2-4196-A670-864A5947D62B.jpeg

You've never seen one so I'm wrong? LOL

His wires are white light green and black.

Wiring diagram attached.
#1 defrost
#2 tailgate window
Funny I don't remember saying anything like that... In fact what I said was....

You are probably right but I've never seen one of that style switches used as a defrost switch... But I've seen a Top switch that was crusty & didn't act like it was spring loaded till I took it apart & cleaned it....

I'm out...

Randy, I was probably poking fun at your comment. You had me thinking I'm steering the guy wrong for a minute.

No sweat, have a good evening!

As Rodney King once said.... Can't We All Get Along... Well... Looking at the world today... Apparently not... :lol:

If spring loaded and rests in the center and can be moved both front and back it is a convertible top switch for cars with the rallye dash option.
If it just switches without returning to center, then rear defrost for rallye dash option. The standard dash has a place for a rocker switch for those options, but the rallye dash used that switch and bracket.

Rear defrost switch for 70 B body....the knob is reversible for power top. However, the switch is different as mentioned already. I am pretty sure this style switch was also used on 69 B bodies (edit: rallye dash only).

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

Last edited:
These switches are the same for rally dash and standard dash in 1970. I have owned more than one both examples. I currently own 3 1970 Plymouth b-bodies and have owned 8 total. First one was 1990 so I've been at this a while. I have also gleaned parts from dozens of cars at salvage yards. I try to answer when I know something, Not making things up or answering questions with what "I think" it would be.

These type of switches were not used on 1969 Plymouths with standard dash. The top/defrost switch was in the common switch panel that fits inside the lower dash pad. Photo below from a wagon. I have a friend with a stock 69 Satellite convert and it is here also.

I don't know what a 1969 dodge Super Bee or a Coronet RT with rally dash uses for a top or defrost switch. Perhaps someone knows and can educate us on this.

8ADADEEE-5C9C-40C9-AFB2-280492F7E527.jpeg

72B05B3A-DA9E-48E6-AEF8-C403ED6B27CC.jpeg

Thanks for all the help to everyone that educated me on this switch. All my cars are 71-74. I’m waiting for the right 69-70 to come along, unless I can wake up with a bunch of cash under my pillow.

Rear defrost switch would not be labeled “TOP”. Interesting that they moved the convert top switch location; my ‘68 Coronet R/T convertible with Rallye dash had the top switch next to the wiper switch.

Rear defrost switch would not be labeled “TOP”. Interesting that they moved the convert top switch location; my ‘68 Coronet R/T convertible with Rallye dash had the top switch next to the wiper switch.
68 Rally dash has a pop out plug where the top switch or defrost switch goes... They eliminated it in 69 & 70... 69 has a Hazard switch on the dash, gone in 70..

Auto Transport Service
Back