• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this the correct air cleaner for '68?

The photo in post #1 is the exact same as our 68 Coronet R/T that was bought new.
Working for a Dodge dealer back in the 60's-70's We got allot of cars in that Chrysler never made.
Line workers some times grabbed what ever that would fit. Most often were the Plymouth/Dodges that were built on the same line.
Late 70's were the worst.
I've always said never say never when it comes to Ma Mopar.
I agree, in 67 I bought a 440 Gtx at my local dealer and a St Louis car , the air cleaner was large unsilienced and without snorkels which is totally wrong as I understand! AFB carb as correct but this cleaner! So there your statement is well supported!

Yeah, 68 First year for a AVS. Well early ones may or may not have had a AVS.
The owner of the dealership would by mostly sales bank cars. Odd color combos, weird things like RamChargers with A/C and manual steering/brakes, or loaded cars without A/C. The one I remember was a 76 Dart SE. Every option available. manual steering. We called 'um Factory F&^k Ups.
We got a 76 Charger in that was split down the middle. Half Charger Half Cordoba. Somebody at the factory Had fun with this one. Quality Control was very poor at Chrysler those days.
Back to Air Cleaners I think this is a C body from 1968 as it has oval snorkels and is for the AVS 5 1/8'' air horn.
Photo just for reference .
IMG_2871.jpg

Yes worked at local dealership in late 67 to late 69 , saw many strange things from factory , I noted and thing to rattle in places , gotta love them though!

View attachment 1112591 while i agree that air cleaner is correct for 68’ i thought the early built 68’ air cleaner was the bigger one.also used if it had A/C or was a California car.

This was the air cleaner on my November '67 built Charger with a/c....

charger2-jpg.jpg

This is the more common 440-383 1968 & 1969 air cleaner....

img_20200415_165550-jpg.jpg

Yes , first pic as one on the 67 440 Gtx I bought in June 67 unsilienced no snorkels

Got one of those early 68 Unsilenced air cleaners which are not as cool looking as the '64 426 wedge air cleaner..

67 Air Cleaner 1.JPG IMG_2235.JPG IMG_2240.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back