• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is underhood fender bracing factory or a custom add-on?

Dibbons

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
I am seeing black tubular braces that run from the inner fenders to the middle of the firewall on some Satellites and Roadrunners at about a 45 degree angle. I'm not sure if they are on 1971 and 1972 or just one of those year models. Most of the underhood pictures I see don't include these braces. Are these factory items that some owners take off their cars or are they an additional brace that strengthen the underhood integrity that some owners fabricate for themselves? Thank you.

The first 72 I bought in 1977 from Original owner didn't have them or any sign of them being removed.
This second one I have now has them. Wish I knew what dictated them.
Ron

72 -74 all motors.
72 are different than 73-4.

Attachments

• DCP_0028.jpg
    DCP_0028.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 183
The statement that all 72s had these is not correct. Mine was originally a 340 4bbl car and it has no traces of the braces. Nice to know that the 72 parts are different from the 73-74 parts. Unfortunately I bought some 73 braces which do not fit. They are for sale if anyone who has a 73-73 wants them.
Rolland

Auto Transport Service
Back