• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is WD-40 something that should never be used on any gun?

I’ll take the bait.
I have used WD 40 for years. I’m a die hard waterfowl hunter. Use it for cleaning and wiping off the out side of the gun. When back to the truck the guns get wiped off before I drive home. Now I shoot old Remington 1100 and 1187. Don’t really need a lot of lube inside normally. In a pinch if you have a very dirty gun in the field a shot of WD40 might help it cycle.
Remington oil is a good one for the cold.

Pledge is no joke. Made for metal furniture and wood. Just try it. Works great on my Colts, Brownings, Rugers, S & W's, Weatherby's, L.C. Smith, Walther, Beretta, and My Snap-on tools !
Shines, seals and protects every thing and after handling, quickly cleans up with a micro-fiber cloth or any soft cloth.
Has worked for over 40 years.
Use your own favorite lube for the moving parts, but again use sparsely. Most people drench their guns, not good.
Just the contact areas. Less is good.

Yeah WD-40's lubricity is pretty low but it does have some. The gun oil is better in that department but 3 in 1 oil seems to have even more....and probably too much for guns?

Anything you have listed is better than WD. Take off the stock & put on whatever you want. Trigger just needs to be clean & dry. High-end triggers get cleaned with lighter fluid AND NO lube!!

Hoppe's.

And it smells good, too!

1697241776903.png

I've been using Hoppe's No. 9 and their other products for 40+ years and have no complaints.

I sometimes use this, over the past 5+ years, and have no complaints yet. Also, I use it on door locks.
IMG_20231015_161156494~3.jpg

I bought a case of this to try out...on car parts and a gun or two.
IMG_20231015_161222855~2.jpg

This is good on freeing up rusted parts and probably better than PB Blaster. I use both.
IMG_20231015_161312233~2.jpg

Kroil is pretty good for its intended purpose. BUT, you have to think it all through. What would you use on these? Gotta be careful sometimes….

IMG_1366.jpeg

I like this stuff

About 20 years ago, an older guy told me about it at the gun club.
Interesting history on Ballistol. Most importantly it's good stuff. You can just buy a can on Amazon - don't have to buy a kit or anything. Check it out for yourself. :thumbsup:
(I do like Hoppes#9 too!)

Never use WD on a firearm. I’m actually a gunsmith, lapsed thanks to our horrible gun laws but a gunsmith nonetheless. The rifle in the photo is the first one I ever built, nearly forty years ago. Fired a few thousand rounds through it and there’s probably at least a hundred pix of it and me standing beside dead things, including this years elk.
IMG_0656.png
I still build the occasional custom rifle. Also built a handgun completely from scratch, cutting it out of steel with a drill, saw and files.
Here’s the facts, and it’s not heresay or old wives tales:
WD40, combined with powder residue and carbon will form a varnish that no solvent will remove. It hardens like epoxy. Sure, hosing it into your semi auto will loosen it up to fire. Sometimes. Until it is so gummed up that it won’t fire. It’s a MAJOR *** pain to remove. There are way better lubricants to use that are made for the purpose.
If you do use it because it’s all you have in the moment, and I’ve done it, clean the gun as soon as you can. WD is easily removed while still liquid but a bitch once it hardens.

Last edited:
Never use WD on a firearm. I’m actually a gunsmith, lapsed thanks to our horrible gun laws but a gunsmith nonetheless. The rifle in the photo is the first one I ever built, nearly forty years ago. Fired a few thousand rounds through it and there’s probably at least a hundred pix of it and me standing beside dead things, including this years elk.
View attachment 1542899 I still build the occasional custom rifle. Also built a handgun completely from scratch, cutting it out of steel with a drill, saw and files.
Here’s the facts, and it’s not heresay or old wives tales:
WD40, combined with powder residue and carbon will form a varnish that no solvent will remove. It hardens like epoxy. Sure, hosing it into your semi auto will loosen it up to fire. Sometimes. Until it is so gummed up that it won’t fire. It’s a MAJOR *** pain to remove. There are way better lubricants to use that are made for the purpose.
If you do use it because it’s all you have in the moment, and I’ve done it, clean the gun as soon as you can. WD is easily removed while still liquid but a bitch once it hardens.

That's the biggest elk i've ever seen with the smallest rack i've ever seen. :lol:

That's the biggest elk i've ever seen with the smallest rack i've ever seen. :lol:
This years elk I got in the second hour of opening day and the one my buddies wife got a week later, both on my property. Hers was 545 pounds of meat with a live weight well over 1000 pounds. Mine was 405 of meat and is about average size. Hers is the biggest we’ve ever seen in our area.
IMG_2524.png
IMG_2507.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back