• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is WD-40 something that should never be used on any gun?

I used this on my former guns that were lost in a boating accident...

liberal tears-1.jpg

Mobile 1 synthetic works good for moving parts on one of them scary black guns.

Never heard of gun oil? :poke:
So many better options than WD40
Sure I've heard of gun oil lol but don't have any here....and it's raining and don't feel like trekking out in it and would like to see if the bolt on my .22 rifle will loosen up any. I need to get a new gun cleaning kit once I'm out and about.

Sure I've heard of gun oil lol but don't have any here....and it's raining and don't feel like trekking out in it and would like to see if the bolt on my .22 rifle will loosen up any. I need to get a new gun cleaning kit once I'm out and about.
Do you have anything but WD-40?? lol i guess it would work in a pinch.

I've done it before. Those bolts get gummed up and sticky. WD should free it up for a while. Sounds like it needs a cleaning anyways so you're not out anything.

WD also doubles as fish bait if you're in a pinch. Spray a little on a bare hook and they'll bite. Unbelievable but true.

Do you have anything but WD-40?? lol i guess it would work in a pinch.
Penetrating oil, ATF, 3 in 1 oil, PB Blaster, CLP, 2-26, LUB-E.....and a few others including some shoe goo :D

Penetrating oil, ATF, 3 in 1 oil, PB Blaster, CLP, 2-26, LUB-E.....and a few others including some shoe goo :D

PB Blaster will chase a paper target away. Works good but damn, that smell!

Worse thing I’ve seen it do is gum up in cold weather. So much that it slowed the slide down on a .22 woodsman.

If you’re not worried about that, I think it’s ok for cleaning, but a good oil like Cleansoil or one of the newer breed of gun lubricants would be a better choice.

Worse thing I’ve seen it do is gum up in cold weather. So much that it slowed the slide down on a .22 woodsman.

If you’re not worried about that, I think it’s ok for cleaning, but a good oil like Cleansoil or one of the newer breed of gun lubricants would be a better choice.
Yup, but like I said a bit ago....don't feel like getting out in the rain. And have these other products. Penetrating oil, ATF, 3 in 1 oil, PB Blaster, CLP, 2-26, LUB-E and even a few others after walking around looking.

WD-40 is fine as a temporary cleaner on firearms - but keep in mind, it will not offer any long-term
protection and in fact should be "chased" out of the weapon by some proper gun lubricant first chance.
Keep in mind what it was originally developed for - Water Displacement.
Works great in a distributor that's been soaked with water or some such and I believe it's actually
non-conductive as well.

Since everyone is stating their favorites, I prefer Ballistol on all of mine. Stinks like hell, works great
for the last century or so. Good on leather, wood, etc. as well.

Once you try this you'll never go back to traditional gun oils.

Homepage

Once you try this you'll never go back to traditional gun oils.

Homepage
Even though it's not expensive, it's not exactly cheap either plus would have to order it. Was messing with the rifle today. Did you see what I have on hand in post #14?

Auto Transport Service
Back