• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It happened a year ago at this time (Christmas Story?)

Bumping this thread for those who may have missed mine and KK's "Christmas stories"
(see my post #1 and KK's #5 in this thread).
It's that time of year again - who else has a good Christmas story?

Ed, you triggered my memory on something that happened to me once.

It was 1980 and I was working at the local hospital on the grounds dept. This particular morning I walked down through the basement area and to where we kept the equipment for mowing ect. When I entered the equipment room, for some reason I walked over to the garage door and hit the button to open it. I had no reason to do this, I just did it.

When the door opened, I saw a car drive past. This is just an access road to a couple of loading docks behind the hospital. Then the car backs up and it disappears behind a cooling tower that was there. So I walked out to the road to see where the car went.

There was the car and a elderly lady was out and walking toward me. When she was right in front of me she collapsed in my arms. She wouldn't respond to anything I said so I carried her back to her car and got her in the passenger side. There's nothing around the back of this place, nobody is hardly ever back there. Doing CPR would almost be out of the question because I would probably need it myself by time someone noticed. Best bet is to get her around to the front of the building and into the emergency room.

Luckily the keys were in the ignition so I jumped behind the wheel, turned the car around and hauled *** to the ER. It was about a mile around to the front as I ran two or three stop signs and really blew the carbon out of that engine. I held her wrist and could barely feel a slow, faint pulse.

I came flying into the emergency entrance, jumped out, ran inside and shouted out "we have a Code Blue outside!" Well the girls looked at me like it was a joke or something. They all knew me and didn't it seriously. I hollered out again and they finally came running out.

Later that day I came through the ER and asked about her. They said she was ok and told me they had admitted her. The next day I recieved a Thank You card from my supervisor that was sent by her. I stopped by her room and we had a nice talk about what had happened.

She was a substitute teacher that day and was having chest pains while teaching class. They sent her home! Well she didn't make it too far and decided to drive herself to the hospital. She was from out of town and didn't know the area. That's how she ended up around the back.

Now you can't tell me that wasn't planned out...
Great job for you. Yes you were sent from a higher power. I believe it was from the Big guy upstairs. Hats of to you my friend

Why does someone drag up a 5 year old thread to make their first post here?

Last edited:
Gee, that doesn't sound very complimentary to either who you intended it for OR for me....
All the same, it apparently got a few more people to read my original post, which I believe to be
a good thing in this season, eh?

No offense intended for you, but my question is how a guy new to the forum finds a 5-year old thread and makes a comment on it as his first post?

I missed this thread previously. Very touching stories...

These kind of things happen to my wife. A small example...traveling through an airport recently, she saw an elderly man fall backward down the "up" escalator causing him to tumble and roll along the moving steps. She had the presence of mind to run over and quickly hit the emergency stop while others were either unaware or unsure of what to do.

Thankfully, the gentleman was unhurt, likely due to her quick action. A security guard saw it happen and came over to check on the man. He asked my wife how she knew what to do. She didn't know. She just did.

When I think about the times I have felt HIS presence strongly in my life, most of the events that come to mind are more about HIM saving / protecting / helping me...for whatever reasons.

I missed this thread previously. Very touching stories...

These kind of things happen to my wife. A small example...traveling through an airport recently, she saw an elderly man fall backward down the "up" escalator causing him to tumble and roll along the moving steps. She had the presence of mind to run over and quickly hit the emergency stop while others were either unaware or unsure of what to do.

Thankfully, the gentleman was unhurt, likely due to her quick action. A security guard saw it happen and came over to check on the man. He asked my wife how she knew what to do. She didn't know. She just did.

When I think about the times I have felt HIS presence strongly in my life, most of the events that come to mind are more about HIM saving / protecting / helping me...for whatever reasons.
I do believe that - I think He's always "talking" to us. The problem is that usually in life, we've got so much
other stuff going on that we can't hear Him is all...
I've been trying harder to be more receptive to the signals these last several years, though.

No offense intended for you, but my question is how a guy new to the forum finds a 5-year old thread and makes a comment on it as his first post?
I appreciate that. Yes, he's only been a member since April, but out of almost 40k members, most are "lurkers"
who read but don't feel comfortable joining the fray is all.
I was like that when I first came to this forum also - but Lord knows, I ain't shy anymore, for better or worse. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back