• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Items you no longer see in stores

3Io_PfhjRzUma-l5gcEI_aSiTzoslFFodP906QuipOw.jpg

What would be nice is happy, helpful, and competent employees in retail stores. Enough with the damned self-service cashier lanes!

In New Zealand smokes are around $US24.00 for a pack of 20. And a 1.7 oz (50 grams) of tobacco is $US85.00. I gave up smoking in 2001 when the 50 gram packs hit $10 ($US6.30) thinking it was ridiculously expensive then.

You guys remember Woolco stores? A Woolworth Company branch of stores that were similar to, and competed with K-Mart. I had a part time job in the Automotive Dept there while in high school. I spent HOURS with a label gun putting the little orange price stickers on every darn can of oil, ATF, and chemical that was on the shelves. And then going back and putting new stickers on top of the old when the prices changed. When's the last time you saw individual price stickers on oil cans? (And these were the old style metal and cardboard cans that used the filler spout that had to punch through the tops.)
Woolworths ... the original five and dime store. The forerunner of today's dollar stores.

What's missing today are the lunch counters many stores had. Woolworths an Kresges all had either long lunch counters or the one's that snaked in and out. I remember full course meals were 25 cents.

A cashier or at least one who can give you change with-out a brain aneurism.
LOL! In Canada we stopped using pennies years ago so prices are rounded to the nearest nickel if paying cash - which really adds to the confusion.

I remember pulling on the handles to see if any would drop.

View attachment 1415884
Back in the 70's I worked night shift in an office. One night I went in and the girl on the earlier shift says "do you need a pack of smokes?" and hands me my brand. I offer to pay, figuring she'd bought the wrong brand or something. "No, don't worry about it, they're free" she says. Huh? How? She says "ok, keep it quiet and we can smoke free for a while" No problem!! "you don't put any money in the machine, you pull the handle and it'll stop a couple inches out, then you pull it again and out comes a pack of smokes". So this went on for a good two weeks - we'd each take a pack per night and two extra on fridays for the weekend. All was well until one idiot cleaned out the whole machine one night and then went and shot his mouth off about it. Charged with theft and fired that day!!

Back in the 70's I worked night shift in an office. One night I went in and the girl on the earlier shift says "do you need a pack of smokes?" and hands me my brand. I offer to pay, figuring she'd bought the wrong brand or something. "No, don't worry about it, they're free" she says. Huh? How? She says "ok, keep it quiet and we can smoke free for a while" No problem!! "you don't put any money in the machine, you pull the handle and it'll stop a couple inches out, then you pull it again and out comes a pack of smokes". So this went on for a good two weeks - we'd each take a pack per night and two extra on fridays for the weekend. All was well until one idiot cleaned out the whole machine one night and then went and shot his mouth off about it. Charged with theft and fired that day!!
You all got fired for stealing? Or just that one guy?

Marie, Dawn, Judy, Cathy, Susan, and Debbie.

Auto Transport Service
Back