• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been 5 years...

Glad to hear you're doing well.
My sister just got diagnosed with cancer and was rushed into surgery this week. Looks like they got it all. She's 50 and never smoked a day in her life. You just never know with cancer.

So glad to hear you’re doing well. My dad had a mass on one of his kidneys, they took it out along with the kidney. He lived many years after with no apparent ill effects with one kidney. Major surgery along with getting older changes your outlook, I don’t hit it as hard as I used to, take more things with a grain of salt, so to speak. Plan on retiring next year, I want to finish a couple more Plymouths.

Awesome! great story and glad you beat the dark side. You had an awesome doctor also. Hope you and that car have many years to enjoy going forward.:thumbsup:

Praise to Jesus Christ first!!! Then the doctor, because God was manipulating his hands! The Lord has a bigger purpose for you, hopefully you will pray on that! DON'T MEAN TO BE PREACHY, but following Christ first is everything, and He will direct you! He also has given you your car to help along the way as I love working on these material things also! Kuddos to your wife also! God bless, and continued smooth rehab!

Quote: "Here I am 5 years later to the day. Thanks to Doc White, my wife and God above, I'm still on the good side of dirt - and I am extremely, keenly humbled to be so."

WOW!
What a humble man!
Great story

You are fortunate!

Thank you for the lessons I have learned from your story

Glad to hear you're doing well.
My sister just got diagnosed with cancer and was rushed into surgery this week. Looks like they got it all. She's 50 and never smoked a day in her life. You just never know with cancer.
Cancer is pure, vile evil. I hate anyone has to deal with it; it wastes so much of our lives, time, health, resources.
Wish it wasn't such a huge industry to "study" it. Wish the monetary gain for research facilities came when they came up with a cure for all of it.

So glad to hear you’re doing well. My dad had a mass on one of his kidneys, they took it out along with the kidney. He lived many years after with no apparent ill effects with one kidney. Major surgery along with getting older changes your outlook, I don’t hit it as hard as I used to, take more things with a grain of salt, so to speak. Plan on retiring next year, I want to finish a couple more Plymouths.
Awesome!
It would be a blessing to have a similar tale to tell for sure.
You're right - things that used to irritate hell out of me, I snicker at a lot now.

Awesome! great story and glad you beat the dark side. You had an awesome doctor also. Hope you and that car have many years to enjoy going forward.:thumbsup:
Yep, he is the best. Apparently he's a pioneer of that robotic stuff on renal issues and teaches other surgeons about it as well.
Razor sharp wit, too; some folks in the med biz are sooooo serious and are a challenge to "play with" for me. He wasn't - he recognized right away that I'm the type that has to keep things light when they are at their most serious and jumped right in there with me.
My wife was like :eek: until I told her why he was doing that, saying we were being morbid. :)
Deadly serious crap can overwhelm and cause stresses that compound things. He knew that and God love him, he humored me when I needed him to.

Fairly new to these forums,but got to say
your one hell of a fighter.
Glad your here tell your story.
Makes you appreciate each day.

Glad your still on this side of the dirt,
Hopefully God gives us many more years with you

Praise to Jesus Christ first!!! Then the doctor, because God was manipulating his hands! The Lord has a bigger purpose for you, hopefully you will pray on that! DON'T MEAN TO BE PREACHY, but following Christ first is everything, and He will direct you! He also has given you your car to help along the way as I love working on these material things also! Kuddos to your wife also! God bless, and continued smooth rehab!
Thank you! Yep, although a lousy Christian... I am one nonetheless.
When you've kicked the bucket a few times, you've experienced things most folks (thankfully) haven't.
When folks ask if I "believe", I usually say "no" just for the shock value. :)
When they're taken aback, I add "I don't believe - I know."

Met Him. More than once. Real nice fella, truth be told. :thumbsup:
I got stories, but I hesitate to tell most of them because well, you know....there are skeptics out there.

Quote: "Here I am 5 years later to the day. Thanks to Doc White, my wife and God above, I'm still on the good side of dirt - and I am extremely, keenly humbled to be so."
WOW!
What a humble man!
Great story
You are fortunate!
Thank you for the lessons I have learned from your story
Thanks so much, Ski, much appreciated.
I've had a lot of "humble lessons" the last few years for sure.
I'll tell another story about that....

When I was in recovery those days after the surgery. I had a few visitors, thankfully. Friends smuggled me in Diet Dr. Peppers (and even a hamburger once!) and I heard from all sorts of friends and family.
The only folks I didn't hear from? My employers of the last 15 years. Not one of the four owners even bothered.
That spoke volumes to me, because I was the first employee they ever had when they started the business and I had as much to do with building it as any of them.
Some folks would have been bitter about that and I'll admit it was a cold fish to the face for sure; come to find out, they were concerned about the hit the insurance policy would take because of my cancer! They had even tried to get me to quit before I went in for the surgery, I kid thee not.

Once out of the hospital, I decided to get my proverbial house in order as much as possible, especially since there were huge medical bills to contend with.
I brokered a deal with my long-time bank to consolidate things and cover my medical debt; I tidied up this project, finished that one around the house.
I was on a mission.

Once all that was to my liking, I quit my job and went to work with another company owned by two of my longtime friends who HAD come to visit me several times. I did so thinking I was starting from scratch, not counting on a single one of my longtime customers following me. Basically figured I was working without a net and was VERY apprehensive about it, despite my friends' assurance that I had all the time I needed to get going in my new gig.

Then it started....
One by one, my old customers came looking for me!
It happened so quickly, and in such numbers, that it was all I could do to keep up with it. Went on like that for the first three months or so on my new job.
It blindsided me so hard that I didn't know how to act, really - I was absolutely stunned!
Phone call after phone call, day after day, it typically went something like "hey, where'd you go?" or "oh no ya don't, you don't leave me with those people!"
I looked at my wife one evening, bewildered, slack-jawed and asked her what the heck was going on.
She smiled and said "for all your banty rooster routine, you actually don't know, do you?"
When I asked what she meant, she said "all those people don't do business with a company name or logo - they choose to do business with you because you take care of them."
I was floored....
So very humbling and I had no idea any of them would do that. I felt so unworthy of such a vote of confidence in such a big number.
For a guy who strives to know everything about what I do for a living, it was quite the lesson. :)

I'll let you all figure out the moral of the story. :)

Happy to hear your feeling better, up and around. Cancer is a dreaded word. Myself i dislike when folks write cancer can be beat with positive attitude and prayer. The fact is thats just not true. Some cancers cannot be beat and try as one might it will take your life. Thats the cold ugly truth. My thoughts are in your case The Lord already knew what he intended for you. It wasn't your time and you have a new lease on life, cherish it and enjoy it.
There is no rhyme or reason with cancer, lifestyle choices play a part but not all the time. I grew up playing with mercury we salvaged and use to shine coins with it. Washed parts and my hands in leaded gas all the time. Used Carbon tech for cleaning. Worked with chemicals, asbestosis, all sorts of contaminates, plus welding no breathing protection over 35 years now. Who got cancer? My wife. A stay at home girly girl. Never did any drugs in her life, nothing and she has a Stage 4 incurable cancer that we have come to terms with the fact that when they cannot operate anymore. Well enough said.
Today, the cancers that would have killed you 20 or more years ago, you can live with for many many years or even be cured. Maybe in another 20 years we will even be that much more ahead but it takes money, lots of it.
I dont take anything for granted anymore and id suggest nobody should. Again great news and I'm happy for you!

Happy to hear your feeling better, up and around. Cancer is a dreaded word. Myself i dislike when folks write cancer can be beat with positive attitude and prayer. The fact is thats just not true. Some cancers cannot be beat and try as one might it will take your life. Thats the cold ugly truth. My thoughts are in your case The Lord already knew what he intended for you. It wasn't your time and you have a new lease on life, cherish it and enjoy it.
There is no rhyme or reason with cancer, lifestyle choices play a part but not all the time. I grew up playing with mercury we salvaged and use to shine coins with it. Washed parts and my hands in leaded gas all the time. Used Carbon tech for cleaning. Worked with chemicals, asbestosis, all sorts of contaminates, plus welding no breathing protection over 35 years now. Who got cancer? My wife. A stay at home girly girl. Never did any drugs in her life, nothing and she has a Stage 4 incurable cancer that we have come to terms with the fact that when they cannot operate anymore. Well enough said.
Today, the cancers that would have killed you 20 or more years ago, you can live with for many many years or even be cured. Maybe in another 20 years we will even be that much more ahead but it takes money, lots of it.
I dont take anything for granted anymore and id suggest nobody should. Again great news and I'm happy for you!
Hey thanks Steve.
Yes, much of what you say about cancer I know to be true; wish nobody had to have any level of expertise on the subject, but evil does exist on the planet and cancer is certainly evil and attacks without conscience.
I sometimes wished cancer could be personified so that I could have the express pleasure of beating it into the ground, really.
Instead, just as with your wife, it often goes after the most innocent of us, young and old. That REALLY pisses me off, makes me have some inadvisable discussions with the Man in charge upstairs. I'm not one to blindly accept things - I insist on knowing why and demanding answers, which of course we don't get oftentimes.
(Again I repeat - don't anyone do what I do; I'm a lousy Christian, but I am most definitely one. If you need any proof God is tolerant and has a sense of humor, look no further than me :) ).

When my mama, then little brother were struck down, I tried so hard to make a deal with God to take me instead because they were both so much better people than me and it wasn't fair they had to suffer, then pass.
No dice, He wouldn't make the deal.
Same thing happened when my Pop suffered so long before finally passing. I got so damn mad at God at that point, demanding He put all that pain and grief on me, I can carry it and deserve it more but to leave my dad alone DAMMIT!
Nope, no deal then either and I watched my hero go...

Well, ever hear the phrase "careful what you ask for"?
Yeah, well....oops. :)

To be fair, choices to smoke and drink way too many diet sodas no doubt probably had a bit to do with mine, but by the same token, they can't say that for certain, either. Kidney issues run in the immediate family (my little brother died from it, for example). Cancer ran rampant all over my Pop for years before he passed, etc. Heredity has a lot to do with our physical makeup for sure.
Some of us are just dealt a better hand than others, simply put.

I pray for your wife and you, Steve. I know too well the stress and strain that cancer puts on folks, relationships, families; I think sometimes that's as bad as what the actual disease does to us. It's easy for someone to say "fight the good fight" or "never give up" that hasn't actually fought that fight.
I have and still don't have any better advice than that.
Don't let the bastard win, to quote Hawkeye Pierce. We all have to go sooner or later, but that doesn't mean we have to accept that we got beat.
I fully plan on having a stranglehold on the bastard (death, to quote Hawkeye Pierce) when I go; he might win the battle, but he's gonna know he was in a fight, dammit. :)

Last edited:
Moparedtn, wish I lived closer to Tn. as I would love to hear your stories of meeting God! With God ALL THINGS are possible, as you already know from your journey!! I used to hesitate to speak and witness for the Lord, but do it now any chance I get, with all respects to other's views. The Lord tells us that we are suppose to witness. NO MORE PREACHING! God bless!

Thanks for sharing your story,
good to see you made it & another good 5 years

Auto Transport Service
Back