• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been 5 years...

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:15 AM
Reaction score
... since the day my life was saved:
156508_10200645862525524_1272835703_n.jpg

On that day, Dr. Wesley White performed a marathon session of robotic surgery at the UT Medical Center in Knoxville, TN on me.
I had a cancerous tumor on my left kidney that grew from a hunch on my docs' part two weeks prior to what eventually was discovered to be a grapefruit-sized growth that was hellbent on killing me.

This is what I look like at 5:30am right beforehand. If it looks like I'm casual in the pic - I wasn't, but I had made my peace. To be perfectly honest, I was good with whatever was about to happen having received solace from prayers on the ride down there that morning (about an hour and a half drive from home).
Silly me, I was just thankful the paper thingy they gave me to wear didn't expose my backside. We seek comfort from the slightest things in such events...

Originally scheduled for 3 hours, the surgery instead lasted almost 9, as the team fought off my running out of blood and going into cardiac arrest mid-surgery - the mass was so large that it became quite the war in there from all reports. Dr. White was bound and determined to not only remove the cancer but to also save as much of the kidney as possible, as my other one wasn't much to write home about, either.

I woke up on the top floor of the recovery wing that evening about 7pm or so. I don't remember a lot of the next few weeks, but I remember that night well. The surgeon came in shortly thereafter and said he had 3 things to tell me:
1. "We got it all". Tests had shown the cancer hadn't spread.
2. He managed to save over half my left kidney in the process.
3. He had promised my wife not to tell me how big the tumor had been.
When I started to raise hell about that, he patiently raised his hand to stop me, smiling - and handed me a scan.
"I promised her I wouldn't tell you" he said.
When I looked, the scan showed the true size of it and for the first time, I freaked the hell out. I looked at him and he took his two hands and made the biggest circle with them to indicate the size.
All I could stammer out was "How long, Doc?"
The smile disappeared from his face and he paused, then said "a week. Maybe."
He was telling me I was a dead man had this thing not been removed right the hell now...

There was a ton of pain to sort through afterwards (I am deathly afraid of painkillers, so we went that route - I was a miserable SOB I'm sure in those days) and there were threats of putting me back in the hospital when I was hellbent on getting out early, then had setbacks because I left too soon.
Just me being me, getting my mojo back, fighting the only way I know how.
The doc liked calling what was left of me "the new you", a catch-all phrase that covered how some things didn't quite work like they used to and how much work it would be just to function some days.
The day of the surgery had actually been the third time I've flatlined on docs, always from running out of blood but always, without fail, coming back from the dead.

Here I am 5 years later to the day. Thanks to Doc White, my wife and God above, I'm still on the good side of dirt - and I am extremely, keenly humbled to be so.
The GTX has been my reason to get up out of the bed or chair in recovery and to keep motivated when my own body wants none of life. I started on it when I was told to do "nothing" as a way to have something to give my mind to do.
I wasn't guaranteed to make it this far - heck, they didn't expect me to - but I'm darn glad to be offered the chance and I appreciate all the great help and support so many here in these forums have offered these last few years.
God willing, the GTX nears completion. I'm hellbent on that, too. :)

Right on!! Now get back to work on the car, lol!!

Glad your still here too Ed!

The Man upstairs isn't done with you yet so keep doing what you're doing! :thumbsup:

Hell yeah, brother!
I had surgery last October for something similar and am quite grateful for it as well. I was scared leading up to the date but the day before, I was in an auto parts store and saw a man that worked with my Wife. He told of his kidney surgery success and how complicated it was, it had been about 5 years ago. That moment felt like the hand of God himself....As if he stepped in and made our paths cross just to give me comfort and to ease my fears.

Last edited:
Oh man....my nasty divorce seems minuscule after reading that!! God has his ways to wake us up sometimes.

Praise the LORD for His (countless & unkown) mercies!

Glad to hear you are still with us and pressing forward with life! Stay humble and appreciate everything....now get that damned 4 speed installed!:drinks:

That's quite a story my brother. God bless you, your family and thank the good Lord for his mercy and many blessings. Many more birthdays to you.

Moparedn, very touching story and I am happy for you and your future. I've had 3 major surgerys and flatlined all three times but this last one on 11-31-11 I stayed gone to long and the team was calling it a day when I opened my right eye and a nurse started yelling he's back he's back. That time it did something to me and i'm not the same person that I was before. Tomorrow morning I am due at the Hospital again to do an invasive probe to see if I really need a new hip and they are going to put me under again but I'm not afraid any longer either. But, my clutch leg is still good! Good luck to you Mopar friend.

Whoa...What do you mean NOT the same person?
It is NOT the same but we had a dog that had a seizure in 2015. Prior to the event, he would bark and howl at bagpipes, certain words and music. He would eat backyard turds too. Afterwards, he did not respond to music at all. No more turd snacks. It was as if his system "REbooted" and not all of the files came back.
Did you have changes like food or music preferences? Did your sense of humor change?

WOW!! Great story moparedtn!!
View attachment 593738
Thanks. I went from asking the usual "why me?" questions to understanding in a hurry that it's all actually a blessing.
Life itself may have changed somewhat (some would call it "limited" even) but the change in me it has brought has been amazing.
I notice stuff I never paid attention to before; I hear things more keenly. I actually enjoy meeting strangers (I used to keep to myself like most do)
and get a kick out of simply going shopping with the wife.
It's hard to describe, but I try to enjoy everything more basically.

Glad your still here!
Glad to be here! :)

Right on!! Now get back to work on the car, lol!!
I am I am sheesh. :)
You know, the car pretty much sat in the garage for quite some time before the surgery, always waiting on something else to get done first.
Priorities changed big time after they put some new holes in my chassis, though.

Glad your still here too Ed!
The Man upstairs isn't done with you yet so keep doing what you're doing! :thumbsup:
Thanks kk! Yeah, there's supposed to be two great enlightening moments in our lives:
1. The moment you let go of worrying what others think of you
2. The moment you realize what God has planned for you (your purpose in life)
I have the first one pretty much licked - almost. I'm hellbent on having a good time with folks, even if they don't always want to. :)
In fact, when I run across an a-hole here and there, I tend to have even MORE fun with them. :)
The second one I'm still working on, although I do have some really cool talks with the fella upstairs.
A friend blew my mind when they asked "what if you're already doing what God wants?"
Mind blown. Tossed that suggestion aside real quick. :)

Hell yeah, brother!
I had surgery last October for something similar and am quite grateful for it as well. I was scared leading up to the date but the day before, I was in an auto parts store and saw a man that worked with my Wife. He told of his kidney surgery success and how complicated it was, it had been about 5 years ago. That moment felt like the hand of God himself....As if he stepped in and made our paths cross just to give me comfort and to ease my fears.
Awesome to hear. Yeah, He does that stuff to folks all the time; we just don't realize it. I see it a lot more than I used to, though - it's like those receptors in my noggin recognize "signs" easier now, I dunno.

Oh man....my nasty divorce seems minuscule after reading that!! God has his ways to wake us up sometimes.
Nasty divorce, you say? I can relate. Nothing miniscule about those. :eek:

Praise the LORD for His (countless & unknown) mercies!
Amen. I'm living proof He has a sense of humor, too.

Glad to hear you are still with us and pressing forward with life! Stay humble and appreciate everything....now get that damned 4 speed installed!:drinks:
Monday - well, if all goes well! :)

That's quite a story my brother. God bless you, your family and thank the good Lord for his mercy and many blessings. Many more birthdays to you.
Thank you kind sir. We all pray in our own way, of course. Mine are sort of matter-of-factly and often quite humorous; I'm sure I don't do it right. Some days, it's like a running commentary. Wife used to think I was just talking to myself sometimes (crazy enough) but she knows now it's usually me talking to Him (probably even crazier). :)

Moparedn, very touching story and I am happy for you and your future. I've had 3 major surgerys and flatlined all three times but this last one on 11-31-11 I stayed gone to long and the team was calling it a day when I opened my right eye and a nurse started yelling he's back he's back. That time it did something to me and i'm not the same person that I was before. Tomorrow morning I am due at the Hospital again to do an invasive probe to see if I really need a new hip and they are going to put me under again but I'm not afraid any longer either. But, my clutch leg is still good! Good luck to you Mopar friend.
First of all, good luck this morning!
Hate all the medical "attention" required anymore; that's a drag, but a necessary one I suppose.
They're going to be poking and prodding on my thyroid the 17th; apparently that's the next "hunch" they're having.
Hate that long-assed needle. Yeesh.
Still, glad to be here if only even to be the lab experiment. :)

Whoa...What do you mean NOT the same person?
It is NOT the same but we had a dog that had a seizure in 2015. Prior to the event, he would bark and howl at bagpipes, certain words and music. He would eat backyard turds too. Afterwards, he did not respond to music at all. No more turd snacks. It was as if his system "REbooted" and not all of the files came back.
Did you have changes like food or music preferences? Did your sense of humor change?
I can't speak for cryplydog, but in my own case there was most certainly changes in personality - but it was mostly what was already my "nature", only amplified a bunch. :)
When you grow up sort of goofy looking and possessing a voracious capacity for reading anything and everything (my Mama had a full set of World Book and Colliers encyclopedias, later supplemented by Funk and Wagnall's and I read every page of every one of them), you tend to shy away from social/public encounters as you age.
I still hate large crowds (claustrophobic?) but I'll strike up a conversation with absolutely anybody, anywhere, anytime now.
My emotions have likewise been unleashed quite a bit more as well - I am far more sympathetic to others and feel music, taste food, see things better than I ever did before. I don't think I have enhanced senses so much as the harnesses to what I do have seem to have been taken off.
Lot of that is to do with not worrying so damn much about what others think anymore. Man, is that liberating.

Great story & glad to see you're still here with a new lease on life. Thanks for sharing.

:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back