• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's on the dyno....anyone have a HP Game

Heads ported?

The heads are ported....I bought them that way and then the machine shop's head guy massaged a little more out of them. Here's the before and after numbers:

ported heads.png

I'm pretty pumped about the motor....now I have to get the rest of the car finished to put it in, but I'm getting slowed down with helping my son rebuild a house. Here's what it's going into.

belvedere.JPG

I know it's a 4 door....but it's rust free and the paint is good to go. I'm tying the frames, mini tubbing it, and adding a lot of stiffening parts from US car tool up front. It will be a 4 speed with a Dana 60 3:54 and Caltrack rear supension. Here's where it is right now

belvedere now.JPG

I have all the up front work done, and now need to concentrate on tying the frames and mini tubbing it. I'm shooting for next summer.

I'm a car guy but when you start talking the specs on valve sizes I get lost. What does it cost to build an engine like that?

He just e-mailed me the numbers about half an hour ago and it's 645 HP and 677 torque final. The numbers he gave me on Friday must have been a couple of pulls and adjustments into the dyno session.

He didn't give many details in the e-mail because he's thrashing to get two dirt track motors dyno'ed and out the door yet today. Unfortunately he did not get a video. I've asked him for the curves, so hopefully he will e-mail them to me.

Interestingly he found the timing set that I bought to be eccentric a little bit. They were having troubles with the engine searching for timing at the higher RPM ranges, so they pulled the fuel pump and felt the chain. It felt loose, so they pulled the cover, and the chain would go from tight to loose as the engine rotated. He put a rollmaster set on and everything was good. I bought the timing set through Hughes and it was a "Progear" set. Their site has a big write up on how these are supposed to be top quality....etc. I contacted Hughes and they said to get the set back to them and they would make it right if they found the same issue. Fingers crossed.....

I'm picking it up next week....but it won't go into the car until the spring.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a car guy but when you start talking the specs on valve sizes I get lost. What does it cost to build an engine like that?

I think after paying off the cost of the build and dyno session, I will be about $8,000 to $8,500 into it. I'll have to sit down and add it up some day.

Some times you just do not want to know what it cost
And just remember you cannot take it with you so enjoy it now

Auto Transport Service
Back