• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've been scarce around here lately. Here is what happened.

I've always held the door for Theresa, on one occasion, while I was holding it open, two women were behind her. The problem with holding the door is, how many are behind us and when to stop and move on.The first behind her was about our age, she looked at me and smiled, followed by a thank you. The last was a young lady and she just looked at me and said, I can do that myself. She was waiting for me to let go of the door. You know how 3 seconds can feel like 3 minutes sometime, this was that time. It wasn't just the way she said it, it was the look too. I stood in front of her and let it close, leaving us both outside. She opened the door for herself and I grabbed it and opened it all the way and followed her in. Theresa said the first women heard it and just shook her head and say thank you to Theresa and said, That's the problem with our society today, no common decency. I still hold the door open for Theresa and anyone following, but I not afraid to let it go now and move on.
I had that happen once, and for one of the few times in my life, my brain didn't freeze up, and I retorted 'I'm sure you can but my MOTHER taught me manners and to be courteous'. She shut up.

Being a carrpenter/ builder for several decades I always flew by the seat of my pants regarding safety. Since I've changed to working for a very large ninternational facility management company, my thought process is totally different.

Fall protection, fall restraint, and ladder safety is a huge consideration for these guys and it is "drilled" into our heads regularly. You can die from a fall in as little as 6' since the upper part of your body is heavier and will most likely strike your head. The OP was very lucky.

Be safe out there!!

Fall protection, fall restraint, and ladder safety is a huge consideration for these guys and it is "drilled" into our heads regularly.
As a safety engineer/authorized osha trainer, in all my years the worst hassles I encountered were the fall protection reg’s. Different btw mfg and construction and when those applied. Then there was fall ‘protection’ vs fall ‘restraint’ and a written ‘plan’. Mfg – 4-feet, construction 6-feet, off a scaffold 10-feet. On and on. Then all the violations and meetings at osha offices. Self-employed guys didn’t have to comply (unless they were bound by the site rules) and then hassles on-site when some were employees and others self-employed. Oh, then there were the hassles btw new construction and remodeling contractors. Where to tie-off? Ok to remove shingles/siding and nail in anchors? Home owners good with that? Ok, we’re just going to remove vents to install anchors there opening some cans of worms. Damage and it voids warranties. Lol, not unusual to find guys wearing the shock-absorbing lanyards or using a rope tie-off when if they fell, only the ground would stop them.

The last big construction site I worked on, ladders were prohibited. Had to obtain a permit to use one. It was continual traffic jams and bitching with a hundred or more scissors-lifts driving around and guys having to wait to work in an area until the guy there was done and could move his lift out of the way.

Yes, a fall of only 6-feet can be bad. The son of my mother's close friend, 19 years-old, fell from a wall guiding a crane load, he landed in a sand pile, but broke his neck - paralyzed from the neck down. Sad, he got to the point where he begged his mother to kill him.

I've always held the door for Theresa, on one occasion, while I was holding it open, two women were behind her. The problem with holding the door is, how many are behind us and when to stop and move on.The first behind her was about our age, she looked at me and smiled, followed by a thank you. The last was a young lady and she just looked at me and said, I can do that myself. She was waiting for me to let go of the door. You know how 3 seconds can feel like 3 minutes sometime, this was that time. It wasn't just the way she said it, it was the look too. I stood in front of her and let it close, leaving us both outside. She opened the door for herself and I grabbed it and opened it all the way and followed her in. Theresa said the first women heard it and just shook her head and say thank you to Theresa and said, That's the problem with our society today, no common decency. I still hold the door open for Theresa and anyone following, but I not afraid to let it go now and move on.
I had that happen once, and for one of the few times in my life, my brain didn't freeze up, and I retorted 'I'm sure you can but my MOTHER taught me manners and to be courteous'. She shut up.
So far no one has ever told me 'I can do that myself' but if they did, I would also say that my folks taught me manners and to be courteous but would probably also say to them 'if you can't accept good manners and courteous actions from strangers, why bother to keep on living' and then let the door slam shut.

I would also say that my folks taught me manners and to be courteous
Used to be a ready helper if someone was in trouble like a car breakdown, not so much anymore. More are wary for good reasons. One time I came across a lady with her little kid in the back. She was in a dangerous spot in the road near a hill, so stopped and pushed her car to a nearby driveway. Car was a POS and determined she was out of gas (her gauge didn’t work). So went to a gas station about 2-miles away put down a deposit on the can and got gas. Drove back and dropped gas in the tank with a little leftover to prime the carb. Got it started. But noticed a dangerous condition I think it was the throttle linkage as I recall. I described what I saw saying it needed attention soon for her safety. What’s she do? Started yelling at me that I damaged her car! Couldn’t get a word in edge-wise. I wanted to tell her off, but with her kid in the backseat, refrained. I said here’s the gas can I paid a deposit for you can get the cash back plus skip the cost of the gas I bought and take a flying leap, reminding her to get her car looked at least for your kid’s welfare.

Used to be a ready helper if someone was in trouble like a car breakdown, not so much anymore. More are wary for good reasons. One time I came across a lady with her little kid in the back. She was in a dangerous spot in the road near a hill, so stopped and pushed her car to a nearby driveway. Car was a POS and determined she was out of gas (her gauge didn’t work). So went to a gas station about 2-miles away put down a deposit on the can and got gas. Drove back and dropped gas in the tank with a little leftover to prime the carb. Got it started. But noticed a dangerous condition I think it was the throttle linkage as I recall. I described what I saw saying it needed attention soon for her safety. What’s she do? Started yelling at me that I damaged her car! Couldn’t get a word in edge-wise. I wanted to tell her off, but with her kid in the backseat, refrained. I said here’s the gas can I paid a deposit for you can get the cash back plus skip the cost of the gas I bought and take a flying leap, reminding her to get her car looked at least for your kid’s welfare.
Sounds like a person that blames everything wrong in her life on someone else and never takes ownership on anything she does....been there with trying to help too and got yelled at for it. Only thing different I would have done was to take the gas can with me. :D

Sounds like a person that blames everything wrong in her life on someone else and never takes ownership on anything she does....been there with trying to help too and got yelled at for it. Only thing different I would have done was to take the gas can with me. :D
Felt sorry for the kid in the backseat in that rolling wreck having a whacko mother. Hope he did well, he’d be nearing 40 now I’d guess. And I was on my lunch hour getting back to work 45-minutes late.

Felt sorry for the kid in the backseat in that rolling wreck having a whacko mother. Hope he did well, he’d be nearing 40 now I’d guess. And I was on my lunch hour getting back to work 45-minutes late.
Yeah.....I've felt sorry for the kids of those kind of parents too but what can ya do? Short of 'ki**ing' them, there's not much one can do.

My wife has a huge feminist, woke and I'll stop there, cousin in Washington DC. She's a lawyer that makes HUGE money. She's the only person I'm afraid of. I have watched her in action and she will rip a man apart. She's not a lesbian, but has a rainbow flag in her front yard and ate the neighbor for breakfast for making a comment about it.
man up , tell her to f--- off...

Auto Transport Service
Back