• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've been scarce around here lately. Here is what happened.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:44 PM
Reaction score
Forgive me for appearing self serving with this thread. It is not my intention to troll for words of encouragement or well wishes.
Last Saturday I fell from my roof at my home. I'm recovering and doing well but this accident is taking a bit more out of me than it would have 20 years ago.

A little background:
Over the past year, I've been busy trying to reverse some neglect on this place before listing it for sale. I replaced the redwood deck with lumber prices at an all time high. I buttoned up the final details on the shop to get a "final" inspection and now am fixing stuff on the house itself to get top dollar for the place.
I retired from construction last year since the work available shifted away from my true passion. I've always preferred residential work but the Union priced themselves out of the game. There was no way to compete with South of the border workers that willingly worked for 1/3 what I made. I figured that in retirement, I might resume some limited roles in home building again once we move out of state.
I'm still in good shape to work so I went about my normal ways and started making some changes at home. Late in the afternoon Saturday, I fell from the roof where the gutter was maybe 12 feet from the soil.

IMG_3032.JPG

Many of the rafter tails were rotting on the ends. The gutter was rusted in some areas. This project includes shortening the rafter tails, adding 2 x 8 fascia and new rain gutters. I've never cut or installed gutters before so I used some of the old stuff as testing patterns to get a feel for how they need to be cut at corners and seams.

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

I'm learning as I go and it seems to be coming out right. I had to get creative hanging the gutters alone.

IMG_3051.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

This is a concrete tile roof so I'm able to reuse all the tiles that I need. I'm just pulling them up and stacking them out of the way, then measuring and cutting the tails to the number I'm after.

Late Saturday afternoon, I was at the point where the overhang was furthest from the ground due to the home and lot being on a bit of a slope.
Forgive the following because I'm having to piece it together but....At some point I was on the ground in a plume of dust not knowing that I fell at least 12 feet foot to soil. Add almost 6 feet to that to account for the distance to the top of my head. It is frustrating to NOT be able to remember slipping, falling, landing or any of it.
In a bit of a blur, I apparently called out to Mary who was inside the house. I must have yelled loud enough to get her attention.

Wood was piled on a sawhorse while some of it was knocked off and had blood imprints.
My tool belt was on top of the lumber stack but tools were missing from the pockets and found nearby.
The results.....Mild concussion, broken Scapula, bruised legs, waist, thighs, right upper arm.
What is a Scapula?

01 scapula.jpg

Yeah....the shoulder blade.

The ambulance came and carried me away. I was in the hospital two nights and part of Monday.
Back at home, I'm still unable to positively conclude what happened with 100% certainty.
In my 36+ years of construction, I've never hurt myself like this. Yeah, I've fallen before but always popped right back up and resumed working even if I was scratched up. This time the situation maddens me because I can't remember details.

12feet is a lot higher than it was 20 years ago. Glad you’re on the mend.

Since I have been home Monday morning, I have recovered nicely. Not completely but that will follow.
I started off on Sunday needing a cane to walk,(in pain) I'm able to walk unassisted as of yesterday.
I've been on a short list of medication that requires food to cushion the impact of it yet I've not been hungry. Soreness all over my back and waist.
It may be 5 more weeks before I can resume work on the house that requires 2 hands. I may end up painting and doing other low physical demand tasks until I can resume the roof work.
This has tested my acuity. Reading things online is more difficult. My typing skills were never great but posting stuff with text is frustrating because I'm making so many errors that take time to correct.
Reading medication instructions was difficult at first.
I've never had a concussion so whatever effects it carries is completely new to me.
I've been drunk and forgotten what I did the night before but with help from others, I've usually been able to piece together events.
This time, I'm drawing a blank.
I'm comfortable walking on roofs. I am not nervous since I have good feet and legs and no balance issues. I had a leaf blower up there to clean off debris. (still up on the roof)
In summary, I'll be perched on the damn couch for several weeks and am not too happy about it.

Geezus KD ....... I was hoping you'd make a surprise appearance at Carlisle......... you're lucky it wasn't much worse.....please be more careful

I fix pretty much everything around here, but I've learned to stay off the roof

Take the concussion seriously. My Wife is now over 6 years since her last one and she's still not 100%. She improved herself IMMENSELY using a Wii game and it's balance board.

Out here, the roofs are not as steep as it is in snowy and icy climates so the slope here is comfortable.
I've been in a funk lately, even before the fall. I've been so driven to make these home repairs, I haven't had time to tinker on the cars and I really miss that.

Glad to hear you are OK. Just saw on Facebook a few days ago a high school friend fell off a 20ft roof... Broken shoulder, broke a few ribs, messed up his leg/ankle with multiple cuts and bruises... In hospital for 7 days I think so far. Not much is new except one of the members approves of Lab made chicken.... :lol:

Sorry to hear about the fall Greg. I'm pleased to hear you're doing OK considering the fall.

Take it easy bud....keep smiling and don't be a stranger around here.

I'm still feeling a few bruises myself after crawling into a kitchen cupboard to re-install our dishwasher after my wife dragged it out for cleaning last week.
Damn hoses and power lead got caught up behind the machine.

I remember when I was about 50 I was on the opposite side of a 6’ stockade fence from where I wanted to be. No problem, I used to jump off single story roofs when I was a kid for fun. This should be a cinch. I climbed to the top and jumped down and as I landed it felt like every organ in my chest and abdomen rebounded about 6 inches. I thought - that felt a lot worse than when I was a kid. A 12 ft fall would be tough - sorry for the injuries - but glad they weren’t even worse. Get well and enjoy some retirement.

Glad you're on the mend.

giphy (22).gif

Greg, I hate to say it but it might be time to call a professional ..... :rofl: :rofl:

Well, at least that's what I keep getting told.. Whether it's my GF Coral or other people that have never fixed a damn thing themselves.... They'll never understand why we won't pay someone else that won't do the job the way we would want it done...

Get well & get your *** back up there....

Glad to hear you are on the mend. People have moved on from lesser falls.

Maybe I am looking at something wrong, but isn't that the power line in the one picture? You sure you didn't bump it while working? That would explain why you can't remember anything. Just a thought.

I had to look...... and wish I had bet money......science! :rofl:
Fine, you made me go look too....and yeah, about an easy bet on that one. :lol:
Dude needs to be eatin' out of that food synthesizer on the Enterprise on Star Trek.

I was on the roof twice in the last two weeks.

It's been a while, like maybe a year...and I noticed it wasn't quite as easy as I remembered it.

I wasn't what I'd call "uncomfortable", but I felt I had to work harder.

I kept thinking- great, another thing I'm gonna have to pay someone else to do sooner than I want to.

Last edited:
So glad to find you are recovering. Not going to make fun of my spouse any longer (she began using the staircase here one step at a time recently-good idea I guess when one turns 70 years old).

Auto Transport Service
Back