• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've thru every thing but the kitchen sink at it.

Personally I'd want to make sure the choke is operating as it should. With the engine cold I'd take the air cleaner off, open and close the throttle once and check the position of the choke. Should be closed or at least partially depending on ambient temperature. Then start the engine and watch to see if the "choke pull off" opens the choke at all. Of course I'm assuming your carb has a "choke pull off". If it does and is working correctly once the engine starts it should open the choke enough to keep the engine from loading up.
If not, I would think a repair or an adjustment is in order.
If that checks out, I'd open up the carb and do a visual. If today's fuel (untreated with a preservative) sets very long in a carb it can make a mess and cause problems. While in there make sure the float level is set properly, and that there isn't a problem with the needle on the seat.
Not everyone is comfortable doing carb work, but there are good manuals out there. And you have people here that are willing to help if you get stuck on something.
Just food for thought.

As said, this is an easy way to check. When the engine is cold, remove the air cleaner. Choke should be wide open. Hit the throttle, choke should shut closed. Start the engine, the pull-off should open the choke slightly. As the engine warms up, the choke should open fully. If this sequence doesn't happen, you've got a problem.

So after doing some more diagnosing the culprit was the jets in the carburetor they were 64's installed 62's put new spark plugs in it now it runs fine except for the initial hard on the gas it stumbles but I'll figure it out thank you every one for the suggestions and the comments.

So after doing some more diagnosing the culprit was the jets in the carburetor they were 64's installed 62's put new spark plugs in it now it runs fine except for the initial hard on the gas it stumbles but I'll figure it out thank you every one for the suggestions and the comments.

That could very well be your accelerator pump. Other than neoprene, others won't hold up to the unleaded gas. Or sometimes they just dry up, wear out. If you look down in the carb, give it a pump and see if you get a good squirt. If not replace the plunger. Good luck!

That could very well be your accelerator pump. Other than neoprene, others won't hold up to the unleaded gas. Or sometimes they just dry up, wear out. If you look down in the carb, give it a pump and see if you get a good squirt. If not replace the plunger. Good luck!
Ya I just haven't had time to do that yet between work and doing charcoal drawings for clients I've hardly got to drive since this happened.

IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1221.JPG IMG_1252.JPG

So I finally found my answer to the carburetor problem I know we discussed every thing under the sun but here is the culprit .

20180216_160636.jpg 20180216_160642.jpg

So I finally found my answer to the carburetor problem I know we discussed every thing under the sun but here is the culprit .

View attachment 573699 View attachment 573700

Make sure the exhaust heat raiser valve is not frozen shut. The carbon in the crossover might affect a manifold mounted choke, but might be a result of a problem, and not the cause of the problem? Hopefully the piston rings do not have that much carbon build-up.

I went with a whole different set up Edelbrock Performer Manifold and Edelbrock 600cfm carburetor new fuel tank , fuel lines, fuel pump. MSD distributor, coil, wires. A whole different car now.

20180216_162653.jpg 20180216_162703.jpg 20180216_162720.jpg

Make sure the exhaust heat raiser valve is not frozen shut. The carbon in the crossover might affect a manifold mounted choke, but might be a result of a problem, and not the cause of the problem? Hopefully the piston rings do not have that much carbon build-up.
I got rid of all that and went to headers which looking back was why this happened the EGR valve was completely plugged up with carbon and at one time i put a plug on that which I'm sure was also the cause of it all. Plus I found out why my rpm's at idle were always changing the choke would stay open just enough to cause it to do this.

Sounds like it runs much better now.
My first car had a 318 with really bad carbon build-up. The piston rings were frozen to the pistons with carbon it was so bad.

Ya night and day different should of done this a long time ago instead pulling my hair out lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back