• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jobs that you FAILED at before finding your way in life....

Reminds me of a guy that became one of my best friends, Ralph. He was a few years younger and had taken a job, my 1st job after graduating tech-school, I quit for another one. As that worked out, had I stayed, I just might have been his boss. Another guy, I got to know, Jason, kept asking me to go to work at his company, but declined. I’d meet up with him and few people from his company for a couple beers after work. He hired Ralph. We spoke a few times at the bar and thought he was kind of aloof or arrogant. But he thanked me for leaving that job he took as he said he was having a hard time finding a job after college. Didn’t stay long there as Jason hired him offering more salary.

Well, I got ousted from my job as the company went down the tank and called Jason saying, hey you still interested in hiring me? He was and took a job with him. I reported to Ralph, being a supervisor by then. Jason said if you had taken the offer, you’d have Ralph’s job. Anyway, Ralph and I got to be good buddies and I got promoted, so we both reported to Jason. Anyway, we had talked about when we had first met and he said I thought you were kind of an asshole. Lol, I said I thought the SAME about you.
Some years went by and we both left that company on sorry terms; but we stayed close and had a lot of fun together, no one could get me laughing to busting my gut than he could. Miss him, as he died of a heart attack at only 50-years old, despite being a health nut. Anyway, so much for first impressions..
Oh man, sorry about your friend. As we get older and lose friends, I cherish the friends I still have which isn't many anymore. Lost several over the last several years....and it sucks! There are very few left that are my age and I'm not all that old (about to be 73) and it justs......behooves me if that's the right word to use.....

Growing up when I did, everyone around me smoked.
I tried but wasn't any good at it.

Growing up when I did, everyone around me smoked.
I tried but wasn't any good at it.
You're fortunate, I never lost the habit; but for a few six-month stints over the decades. My folks smoked like crazy and my dad liked his PBR's and extra-dry martini's. He made it to 94 and my mom to 89. Pretty nice ride they had despite their bad habits. My dad stayed pretty capable until his early-mid 80's then lost his muscle mass. SO glad to say my wife and kids never picked it up or the like for alcohol. I took that over; but been months since I had a beer. When it is hot though, I sure like an ice-cold beer.

Oh man, sorry about your friend. As we get older and lose friends, I cherish the friends I still have which isn't many anymore. Lost several over the last several years....and it sucks! There are very few left that are my age and I'm not all that old (about to be 73) and it justs......behooves me if that's the right word to use.....
Thanks - been 14 years already since he passed, hard to believe. Had what I figured were some survival issues for a few years after he died, every damn night I'd have odd dreams about him. We worked as a team for several years, traveling the country to the 35 branch offices for a week at a time. We got together just a few days before he passed. Spoke at his memorial service, took me a while to prep for that and the place was packed; well-liked guy he was.

Apologies KD - I've hi-jacked your post.

I tried drinking too. Being impatient, I wanted to be drunk immediately.
I'd take a drink, wait 5 minutes and feel nothing, then drink MORE...It often resulted in me drinking too much and falling asleep,
I failed at drinking too.

I tried drinking too. Being impatient, I wanted to be drunk immediately.
I'd take a drink, wait 5 minutes and feel nothing, then drink MORE...It often resulted in me drinking too much and falling asleep,
I failed at drinking too.
Like in everything you do....gotta pace yourself lol

Pretty hard to do when you're self employed.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The boss must be a dick.
awesome.jpg

"I recommend that you do NOT come around here with THAT attitude @moparwacko! Calling me a DICK??!!!

:lol:

Ed Mini-Story Time!
As a furtherance of my previous post, ironically enough today I was out and about getting my "sprinkler on"
(actually a rare treat these days) and got a call out of the blue by a co-worker from the previous gig...

I have been recently referring some of my long-time customers to my former employer out of an abundance
of responsibility to see they get properly taken care of, since where I am now there simply is no support in
place - at least, yet.
Sort of a weird situation - but I don't see a choice in the matter, if I'm being true to taking care of folks...

So, anyways - my former co-worker calls (I'm friendly with many in fire protection in this neck of the woods -
small world and all, you know) and he wants advice on where he's at, a school system in my own county.
I listen, then tell him to sit tight, I'm on the way....
There then commences to be a meeting of competing company service trucks in the same parking lot of the school,
which I got a kick out of since they're both fully marked trucks and all.
There's something you don't see every day....
He and I get our heads together on what he's working on (something I had actually arranged while still at the
old company, just now reaching fruition) and the facilities manager for the schools shows up (another friend;
we've got history) and has a good laugh at the spectacle. :)

Crisis averted, situation resolved...and my bud from the old company then proceeds to catch me up on all the
scuttlebutt from that company, full of how things had gone since my departure.
He had apparently thought it would please me to hear how it wasn't going so well there in the interim...
and to be honest, a younger me might very well have taken some measure of satisfaction in hearing the news.
I'll admit that...
The "me" since all the health hell had descended, however? Not so much.
I smiled, made polite responses and all that - but the gossip didn't honestly do much for me really.
In fact, a series of emotions from slight sadness to borderline nostalgia came over me instead - and I found
it all sort of regrettably avoidable, since I helped build that company and all.

Who knows? Maybe i should have given more of a pass to the "banties" and the corporate climbers and such,
whose motivations were more driven from ambition than any need to take care of the customers....
and to do this damn job properly - to me at least, the prime directive of fire protection, after all.
They in turn could have perhaps tried to refocus their motivations and tried to remember we're in the life
safety gig first - and allowed their own chest-thumping to take a bit of a back seat.
Oh well, such is life...
I don't ask so much why people and things are the way they are anymore...

I've finally arrived at the conclusion that we can only do what we're in control of doing and that human
nature is to bristle up and resist when someone tries to get us to change - the exact opposite of what
we'd like to have happen.
As I go through what is likely to be my last internal organ challenge now, that's got to be good enough...
and I believe it is.
I'm good with my efforts, regardless of the outcome.

So, yeah - the ultimate failure for me is that it took too many years to reach this awareness.

Auto Transport Service
Back