• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jobs that you FAILED at before finding your way in life....

In college I started my own company building professional speaker cabinets on the side.
The business grew and after college I worked a few years as yard foreman for a construction company in South Florida that built high rise buildings, and lots of them. With the first gas crisis 74 the construction industry took a big hit and I went from having 50 workers to having three employees including myself in the yard. One day I was instructed I needed to lay off another person. One of the workers was Bostic, been with the company for 30 years, he was sixty, the other employee was Jessie, been with the company 24 years, he was 55. Both nice guys and hard workers.
So I fired myself, and never looked back.
Been my own boss/company owner ever since in the technical end of the concert industry, traveled the world, made a decent income, earned a good reputation, got to build a lot of cool/neat stuff in our machine shop, and retired 1/23 after 2 years of shutdown from COVID.
So not sure I qualify for the "failed" label employment wise, at least in my eyes.
Life is great, and I appreciate my blessings.

Last edited:
We lived a half block from where my father worked. In between was a Sohio gas station where, at 16, I got my first real job - after caddying at the local country club for a few years in the summer - as a "Petroleum Installation Engineer"...I pumped gas. Soon, I learned to do light mechanical work at the station as well.

About a year later, I was abruptly fired by the manager for no apparent reason. I found out later that he wanted my father, who worked there in the evening for pocket money, and I gone because he thought we wanted his job.

In between then and now, I've worked armed security at an airplane landing gear factory that had defense contracts, drove a tractor trailer with a haz-mat endorsement, ran movie theatres and video stores, owned my own electronics repair shop...back when there was money in doing so...and managed an auto parts store for a while too. My current gig, as a computer systems analyst for a major insurance carrier, ends this month when I finally retire. It's time to get the 70 Coronet back on the road!

Mowing yards, scooping snow, the normal bale hay, walk beans , detassel corn as a kid.
Couple gas stations as a teen then OJT in high school working for a plumbing outfit.
Married in 76 started in a foundry for 3 yrs.
Then big pay raise ! In 79 started with Oscar Mayer packing house and was there 10 yrs later when it closed.
Local guy with 5 semis & hopper bottoms gave me job and I learned how to haul grain. From there i spent 13 years driving and as a owner operator , flats, drops, hoppers , tanks.

Our family ran body shop / mechanic shop ... my step dad came down with Parkinson, in 2002/03 I went to work in the body shop until I retired Oct 2023.
It's been a hoot , I see the thread title has ( failed ) in it. I guess i failed all but auto body , its the only one I stuck with to the end.:drinks:

Last edited:
JC Penny retail sales in HS during Christmas, and blow molding making milk bottles, quit both at lunch and never went back.

My first job out of college in 1975 was the greatest failure of my life, in my parents' opinion, and it was a product of what they viewed as an earlier academic failure. My freshman year at Penn State, I had washed out of pre-med. Trying to salvage a four year degree, with basically free tuition, I switched my major to English, where I was nearly a straight A student. I still graduated with over 40 credits of science courses, with relatively low grades, which would cost me down the road, though I didn't realize it at the time. My dad was a professor in the journalism department, and had built a good life based on academic achievement. I was adopted, and wired completely differently.

As I neared graduation, in the wake of the '74-'75 recession, the job market for liberal arts grads was nonexistent. I responded to a classified ad in the Washington Post, placed by a medical newspaper group looking for new grads with a combination of writing and science background. The editor called nine applicants in for the initial interview. I'll never forget the young woman seated next to me telling me that she had completed a degree in biochemistry with a 3.8 average, and had been editor of the college newspaper. The boss explained that he might hire all, or none of us. We were given a portfolio of medical research papers, and told to write them up in newspaper format. Based on the results, successful applicants would be invited back for an expense paid trial period, and if they made the cut, would receive a full time job offer.

I was one of two that made it to the trial run, the other washed out, and I was the only survivor of the nine. Three months into the job, I knew I didn't have a future in it. Just like college chemistry, for me, it was a tedious, boring slog. On the other hand, the gear head in me thought that driving, and getting paid would be a good fit. I saved $1500, and when I didn't get a raise after my annual review, told my parents I was quitting to enroll in truck driving school.

It was a nuclear event for my parents. I'll always remember my mom telling me she still loved me, even if I was "lazy and unmotivated." For me, it was the right decision. I had a successful 42 year career in the tank truck industry, peaking with a general counsel job for a top 100 carrier. There was one bump in the road. After my first three years on the truck, I saved enough money to pay for law school. After I graduated, I spent a year in private practice, won my only jury trial, went broke, and quit. I never looked back, but my mom never got over it, and my dad didn't make peace with my path until he was in his 80s.

Last edited:
I worked a lot of different jobs from middle school through college - cut grass, cleaned offices, bagged groceries, waiter (at a coffee shop in Japan), roofing, shop work running a drill press or pipe threader, loading trucks, probably a few more. Some lasted a few years while other times I only needed to fill a hole in my schedule for a few weeks. I always knew going in that these were fill in jobs while I was working my through school. I didn't fail at any and they helped motivate me because I could see that they were not how I wanted to spend my working life.

I did fail at becoming an Electrical Engineer. I thought that was what I wanted to do until I took my first circuits class sophomore year and absolutely hated it. Fortunately, I realized it early in my college career and switched over to Aerospace Engineering. That turned out to be my calling and I have enjoyed a 36 yr career in that field so far.

Retired now looking back over only five jobs, counting summer work, before starting my biz at 45, fond and not fond memories. Most of the latter was corporate politics, ***-kissers, ********, and liars. When working at a machine shop starting as a junior in HS, the co-owner took me under his wing teaching me tons about running the shop. Had me doing about anything putting his trust in me even as a goofball, before any clues about what to do in life. One thing was, whatever job was given, wanted to do it right. Got that from my perfectionist dad. Long story trying to keep it short, stayed at the shop around five-years. I was semi-prepping to go to the local tech-school for industrial engineering when we got osha-inspected. Kind of a joke, already knowing some unsafe things that inspector didn’t find, but my boss put me in charge of the safety program, among the 10 other typical jobs I had. Prodded me to learn more about it, having no clue. Looking in the job section, found lots of safety engineering jobs at some huge companies around. This was a couple years after osha so yeah, it was a thing. Come to find the tech-school had a degree in occupational safety. About 70% of the courses were the same for the industrial engineering degree, so enrolled, taking extra credits toward the industrial degree.

Well, even before graduating, a P&C insurance carrier offered me a job as a field engineer and took it. It got old with the traveling and visiting every po-dunk town inspecting buildings. Add doing grain-elevators was a bee-itch as some were blowing up around that time. Geezuz, da chit I would see. Took a job with a large machine tool mfg, that went to chit with the deluge of Japanese goods then. Offered a job by a work friend at another carrier in work comp. Young company and right timing climbing the ladder to exec staff. Then the politics got nasty, especially from my once friend who became president. We had been close, then he became a cut-throat tyrant. Nice severance allowed me to start my own biz and it worked well, based on who you know, vs what you know, making it work. My living for the last 20 working years.

Sure, I got to become an expert at it, the legal BS was nerve-wracking, depositions, court, asshole lawyers, combating osha, etc. depending on what side of the table I was representing…an employee or the employer.

Never could say I was happy with what I did for a living, it paid decent, but never was my cup-a-tea. Plenty of other ways I’d a preferred to make a living – if having a do-over. Oh well, I’m comfortable financially in retirement so far.

A few three years ago or so my childhood buddy talked me into starting an electrical apprenticeship. Being former military got a me a leg up in the program. I was already in my late 30s but not really in a rut. I lasted about 5 months and before I even started the college classes I quit. I’ve never worked around so many arrogant ********, I couldn’t see myself in that profession for any amount of coin. Plus my buddy was my journeyman and that was ruining the friendship, his constant whining and complaining was too much.
I did learn quit a few things in the little time I worked.

6 to 12, cleaned my families' taxi cabs, that was sold; cb/van accessary & Puch moped shop THEN their gas station til 16: swept floors at local mall on weekends from 14 til 16 1/2. Fire destroyed their businesses: appliance store "stock boy" for 4 months, then pumped gas at an ARCO before leaving for Navy at 18.

@Kern Dog there was a "fit" chick (Tina) that ALWAYS came to my island, DDAAAMMNMMM!!! 4' 10, SMOKIN!! Always got out & plopped her *** on the truck!!! :lol:Her husband was huge like a linebacker!! Nice guy!!

Gas station attendant did have it's perks.

There were two "older ladies" (early to mid 20's, one a single mom) that would come by about the time things were slowing down.

Went out with one of them a couple times, the other one once.

Being flashed by females either leaving the station or passing by was also a perk. Never worked another job that I got flashed so often.

Besides the grass cutting and snow removal and my brothers and mine paper routes when we where just kids......
Honestly, well my first real job was a busboy a block down from my high School at 14yrs old, that lasted exactly 4 hours! I had to get the **** out of there, restaurant business was never for me..?

Then I got a job at Highland Appliance.... worked my way up from stock boy to small apliances to car audio, and then to home audio in less than one year..at 17 years old I was making as much in wages and commission as many men where making for there family.
Payed my own way to college at lawrence tech univesity, with help from state of michigan programs that I applied for personaly, no help from my family!
My parents never even knew where larry tech was.....

Then I started.....

Higland appliance was owned by Dave and Eugine Mondray, honestly good guys!

Their biggest competition at that time was Fretter appliance. (I'll give you 5 pounds of coffee if i cant beat your best deal) wonder if anyone remembers Oliver?
He took me into his arms.
We became close friends along with his son Howerd.
Together we made a ******* **** load of money that most only dream of!

Then another great man belived in me, and gave me an industrial property on a handshake, all said and done it set me into my own company when I was just 24 years old!
At that point I was on my way.....
Retired at 48 with more than most would ever need in a few lifetimes.
All in all I am quite blessed, but don't kid yourself, it wasn't easy.

Why dont I have a **** load of old cars you say, well I have the one I want... and I keep my money in real estate where it makes me even more money every day.

Warren Buffett said... if you don't know how to make money while you sleep, you never will!

Last edited:
Sure I could dump a lot in this post. Family of nine children. Father or mother never providing “any” mentorship, life lessons, guidance of any kind. I suppose they never had any either. And they were very good folk, hard working and faithful in spiritual beliefs. But honestly I’ve always kind of resented the fact that they basically let you on your own and frankly criticized most of what you did or didn’t do. How was a very young kid supposed to know unless helped along, even just a little. Consequently I learned most everything the hard way. Probably a lot of us can relate to what I saying here.

Anyway, as far as failures - sure I did number of early jobs, most for about $1.10 or so an hour. I don’t call those failures for the fact I simply could not stand any of them and the meager taxed check at the payday so usually quit w/I a week or two. I did fail at only one - A grunt in an auto repair shop making $2.00 and hr. Truthfully I really didn’t know how to take initiative and do my share and a bit more unless told. Friend of my brothers ran the place and fired me after maybe a month or two. The best thing about that was he honestly told me why in a very nice way. So from that I learned a very valuable lesson that I took to heart.

There were a few that would make my post too long - but have pretty comical durings and endings to them. Another time. From each of these I took something away - I’m in my teens to about 21 and said to myself and the gal I eventually made a wife - “I simply cannot do this kind of stuff for the rest of my life - There has to be a better way.” We were not a college directed family - only my oldest brother, ten yrs my senior went to college and ROTC. I really did little to nothing in high school save make sure I did the bare minimum to graduate. I just never envisioned college nor did I think I had a prayer of ever getting even part way thru. Nevertheless I decided to try - Applied for govt grants and loans. Freshman at 22, put my head down and my ears open and worked my flipping *** off in every class. I simply went on a mission that no one could stop me from. I worked during school and during the summers. Made very few friends because I did nothing but go to every class, worked as much as I could, and played sandlot sports, baseball, tennis, racquetball and lifted weights. I had no time or desire to party or socialize much. I was hell bent. Graduated .02 under the honors designation but w/two majors and a minor. Unbelievably just 4 credits that did not specifically apply to one of those. So I wasted no money or time on superfluous classes.

Created a resume full of nothingness in terms of tangibles except of course my college degree and having made my way completely on my own. Sent to every big deal Corp around Mpls. The rejection letters came fast and furious if at all. I was once put on hold by a corporate recruiter for over an hour before I naively realized she purposefully did that and wasn’t coming back on line. Then I caught my break - an interview for a trainee in marketing w/the arguably the most blue chip insurance company in the US. After quite a few interviews in Mpls and then in Chicago - they offered me the job. My job for one solid year was to permeate every single dept in the office, study huge Insurance manuals and take tests - and learn every function and contract and program etc. so as to be able to deal with insurance brokers, get business written and develop as much success for them as possible. I took this on the same way I took on college. I worked for them for 15 yrs in two different tours and 4 different states. A couple other competitors for 15+ yrs for an all told 30+ yr career ending in the upper ranks - when I’d had enough with the politics and ruthlessness I simply walked away and never went back one day. I had ensured my financial house was in order and a lovely wife I did not want to waste any more time away from. My biggest want to was to leave on my terms when I wanted and how I wanted - no one else was going to put me in retirement besides myself. So at 56 and one massive heart attack latter I bid adieu to what I felt was a very successful, however challenging and difficult career.

My lone “failure” by my score was the auto grunt job I was fired from because I wasn’t showing initiative and correctly so.
Thanks for the memories….

Father or mother never providing “any” mentorship, life lessons, guidance of any kind. I suppose they never had any either. And they were very good folk, hard working and faithful in spiritual beliefs. But honestly I’ve always kind of resented the fact that they basically let you on your own and frankly criticized most of what you did or didn’t do. How was a very young kid supposed to know unless helped along, even just a little. Consequently I learned most everything the hard way. Probably a lot of us can relate to what I saying here.
Wow, Kevin, your commentary on parental guidance hit close to home. I remember well, one of my greatest heartaches as a young adult, was realizing I had to find my own way, my parents were of little help. My mother was on what is now known as the spectrum, an accountant by training, who never held a job more than a year because of lack of people skills. She hammered on me from elementary school on that good grades were the only path to survival. My dad told me there was no moral way to make money in business, I needed to work in the public sector. I held different, better cards than my parents, but they couldn't see it.

For me, Julie Clark (original owner of my Mopar, for those who are new to the story) filled the gap, from the day she handed me the keys to the GTX. I took every word of advice and encouragement she gave me to heart for nearly three decades, and she provided a visible role model. When I emulated what I saw her do in the business world, it served me well. On the flip side, my daughter watched what I did, and said she would make sure she never worked that hard.

Last edited:
I guess I can't say I have ever failed. I have only had 2 jobs.

My first job I started under the table at 13-14, until 15 when I could get a work permit while in school. Worked part time during school and on some weekends and full time during school breaks and summers. Stayed there until I was 22-23. Only left because it was steel erecting/construction/material handling work with no insurance or benefits. Once I started having kids. I needed insurance for them.

I have now been at my second job now 30 years last month on 02-27-24.

Last edited:
Besides the grass cutting and snow removal and my brothers and mine paper routes when we where just kids......
Honestly, well my first real job was a busboy a block down from my high School at 14yrs old, that lasted exactly 4 hours! I had to get the **** out of there, restaurant business was never for me..?

Then I got a job at Highland Appliance.... worked my way up from stock boy to small apliances to car audio, and then to home audio in less than one year..at 17 years old I was making as much in wages and commission as many men where making for there family.
Payed my own way to college at lawrence tech univesity, with help from state of michigan programs that I applied for personaly, no help from my family!

Then I started.....

Higland appliance was owned by Dave and Eugine Mondray, honestly good guys!

Their biggest competition at that time was Fretter appliance. (I'll give you 5 pounds of coffee if i cant beat your best deal) wonder if anyone remembers Oliver?
He took me into his arms.
We became close friends along with his son Howerd.
Together we made a ******* **** load of money that most only dream of!

Then another great man belived in me, and gave me an industrial property on a handshake, all said and done it set me into my own company when I was just 24 years old!
At that point I was on my way.....
Retired at 48 with more than most would ever need in a few lifetimes.
All in all I am quite blessed, but don't kid yourself, it wasn't easy.

Why dont I have a **** load of old cars you say, well I have the one I want... and I keep my money in real estate where it makes me even more money every day.

Warren Buffett said... if you don't know how to make money while you sleep, you never will!
How about some reality ........i will always say that my university years where absolutely wasted time.... my money spent and ridiculous hours spent never made me a dime!
I could have retired at 40 easy without all that crap.

Neither my Father nor mother never providing “any” mentorship, life lessons, guidance of any kind. I suppose they never had any either.

They were like most other parents for their time.
A trend began later where the parent was TOO supportive, TOO encouraging and too afraid to scold. From that, the "Everyone gets a trophy" trend emerged and now we have spoiled, entitled and blameless youths that cannot deal with stress and adversity.
There HAS to be a middle ground though.
Somewhere between a parent ignoring a kid and a parent hovering, meddling and pestering them.
My Dad never came right out and verbally told me what to do with my life but he did try to guide me.
He saw that my "career" in fast food was pointless so he suggested the Army.
That didn't work out. I have a hearing disability that was destined to get worse so I was discharged early.
I tried selling new cars.
That didn't work out so Dad suggested I look into construction.
I quit my first job after 3 hours and multiple blisters but I did soon find my way which led to 36 years of rewarding work.
Many of today's parents have instilled a bunch of BS in their kids minds...to the point where the kids blame others for their own failures, they often think they deserve raises for just showing up, they think every boss owes them a debt of undying gratitude...
There are good, balanced parents out there though. THEY raise kids to be grateful for their education and jobs.

As a teenager I worked in a ladder factory.
I quit after 3 days, as I realised I would never make it to the top. :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back