• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Johnny Lightning rear wheel fender "Plymouth" decal

Ritchie Valens

Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
I know I will get a lot of tomatoes thrown at me, but I'm planning on putting the Johnny Lightning's "PLYMOUTH" rear wheel fender decals on my 1971 Roadrunner. In all fairness, I don't know Johnny Lightning other than the fact it's a brand of die cast models from 1969. I'm 42 years old, so I'm slightly wet behind the ears to recall the die cast models.

I saw a picture of the Johnny Roadrunner (pictures provided below) and I really dug the rear decal on the rear wheel fender. Plus, it's only a decal. I figured I'll put a good quality coat of wax and then see how it goes! I have the decals ready... they're about 35" long and 4.5" wide.

I've done my fair share of decals.. but this might be the longest one. I'm open to any tips or advice. Thanks guys... and I know some of you purists will want to hunt me down!! But go easy on me... the girl leaning on my violet Roadrunner likes the idea of the decal... so yeah, you guys know how that goes!! And yes, I'm the guy in the pic! Hahaha

My RR is the violet with the white top and the model I'm using as a guide is the orange red. As you can see the model I have to go off of is a little rough around the edges, so I'm hoping someone out there can provide a good guide to use like the side fender light. Thank you guys!!!

Ritchie Valens (and his flying guitar)

My71RR.jpeg

MyRR.jpeg

RearPlymouth Decal.png

Use masking tape to secure on and step back to see what looks good to you. Use a soapy water spray to help in positioning and a squeegee. You probably know that already. A member here may have some measurements for you as I’m not familiar with that but I like your idea.

Gosh that is a great looking Plymouth. The Go Wing adds pizazz to that ‘71, chrome mirrors and a functional pop up hood, White interior, your good to go and show!

Do you have A/C too?

Is the car’s nickname “Fender” or “Stratocaster”?

This would sure look good in the rear seat behind You and your Gal.

84C171B6-1243-468B-BF41-355730739F1A.png

9B3FF9A7-7949-4C5D-B844-6905FD21771C.png

Nice 71, the decal in white will look good, with the top and interior .

In 1970 my next door neighbor bought a new 340 4 speed in-violet Duster and applied the Plymouth logo.
Looked good then and would today .

Use masking tape to secure on and step back to see what looks good to you. Use a soapy water spray to help in positioning and a squeegee. You probably know that already. A member here may have some measurements for you as I’m not familiar with that but I like your idea.

Gosh that is a great looking Plymouth. The Go Wing adds pizazz to that ‘71, chrome mirrors and a functional pop up hood, White interior, your good to go and show!

Do you have A/C too?

Is the car’s nickname “Fender” or “Stratocaster”?

This would sure look good in the rear seat behind You and your Gal.

View attachment 1398248

View attachment 1398249
Thanks brother! Man, that fender would love nice in the back seat against the white seats!!! It's a 383 4-speed with Hurst pistol grip, but no A/C. Drives better with the windows down anyway!

Putting the decal on wet is the key.

First position it dry with the backing paper still on until you get it where you want it. Then use masking tape to mark where it should go so you can reliably position the decal in the right spot using the masking tape as a guide.

Then make the solution. For a pint, use 15 oz of water, 1 oz of denatured alcohol, and 1/8 tsp of dish soap. Spray this on the quarter panel and get it good and wet. Then peel off the backing paper from the decal (the paper coving the adhesive, NOT the paper over top of the decal). Get the decal adhesive good and wet too. Then wet your quarter panel again and lay the decal in the right spot. You should be able to gently move it around to position it as needed.

Get a plastic bondo applicator and start from the center of the decal and squeegee out the water towards the edges. Don't try to do it on one stroke; instead use multiple strokes to gently begin to adhere the decal down. Look for air bubbles before you press too hard and work these to the edges of the decal and out. Keep doing this until the decal is mostly dry and is adhered to the car. Then start SLOWLY pulling the top paper off the decal. Do this with a severe angle - if you just pull away from the panel you can pull the decal off.

When the paper is off, look for any larger air bubbles you may have missed. Don't panic if you find one after the decal is dry, use a small pin and work the air out and you'll never notice it.

Good luck.

From actual, real-life experience back in the day, applying that Plymouth decal on the rear quarter panels was a popular thing to do. Many Plymouth owners/drivers wanted to be Richard Petty in their neighborhood !

Putting the decal on wet is the key.

First position it dry with the backing paper still on until you get it where you want it. Then use masking tape to mark where it should go so you can reliably position the decal in the right spot using the masking tape as a guide.

Then make the solution. For a pint, use 15 oz of water, 1 oz of denatured alcohol, and 1/8 tsp of dish soap. Spray this on the quarter panel and get it good and wet. Then peel off the backing paper from the decal (the paper coving the adhesive, NOT the paper over top of the decal). Get the decal adhesive good and wet too. Then wet your quarter panel again and lay the decal in the right spot. You should be able to gently move it around to position it as needed.

Get a plastic bondo applicator and start from the center of the decal and squeegee out the water towards the edges. Don't try to do it on one stroke; instead use multiple strokes to gently begin to adhere the decal down. Look for air bubbles before you press too hard and work these to the edges of the decal and out. Keep doing this until the decal is mostly dry and is adhered to the car. Then start SLOWLY pulling the top paper off the decal. Do this with a severe angle - if you just pull away from the panel you can pull the decal off.

When the paper is off, look for any larger air bubbles you may have missed. Don't panic if you find one after the decal is dry, use a small pin and work the air out and you'll never notice it.

Good luck.
Bad-*** instructions HawkRod. Thank you for sharing! I will definetly follow this to the letter! So if something goes wrong, I can blame you! Haha, I kid. But thank you and I'll post photos of the final product. Unfortunately, we've had some unexpected weather and it's too cold to apply the decal. I mean, I guess I could go for it, but I feel like decals are more willing to cooperate in slightly warmer weather.

Auto Transport Service
Back