• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joining pipes

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
Can I hand flare with the tool below a stainless pipe or do I need a hydraulic flare tool?

Last edited:
this

image.jpg

The best that expansion tool will do is straighten out the clamp ridges.

If you have stainless exhaust tubing do yourself a favor and go to a Exhaust shop for pipe expansion.
Ugg ok. Mom and pop have places unfortunately are getting more and more scarce. Midas here is a joke.

Ugg ok. Mom and pop have places unfortunately are getting more and more scarce. Midas here is a joke.
A hydraulic expander gas enough power to enlarge it to the next size. The sectioned tool above won't make it happen, especially stainless.

I've used the Harbor Freight version of that tool to expand outer escutcheons for fire sprinklers
for many years now - and I manage to routinely break the rubber o-rings in them.
It's actually become a disposable tool to me - I just buy a new one for each job now.
Stainless is pretty tough stuff. I suppose you could use the tool on it, provided you can get enough
torque on it and it stay together - but I wouldn't bet on it.

I used one of those recently to expand a 2" aluminized pipe to 2 1/4". I used my 1/2" Milwaukee Fuel Impact. Just had to keep loosening it and rotate the tool to keep the pipe round.
Not sure about stainless though.

Like OKDart, I too have one of those.Hard to get it to work well enough to make it worth it..

The best thing now days is the flat band style exhaust clamps. I have never used them but have heard good things about sealing and the ability to take the joints apart easily. No flaring necessary.

1701351641005.png

Are you attempting to join two pipes with the same diameter ? You can insert a short sleeve-pipe inside both to join them, and either clamp or weld together.

Ok what I am doing is this. I have currently a 2-1/4 exhaust into a 2-1/2 tIl pipe. I plan to use something like this either in steel or stainless pending actual dimensions of the tips which I have on order. I plan to make a tight fit then tack with a mig. May need to expand or shrink just a bit based on fitment.

Don’t like any clamps. Have used band clamps before but I prefer welds. I dont plan to tig on my back either.

IMG_0366.png

IMG_0367.png

The best thing now days is the flat band style exhaust clamps. I have never used them but have heard good things about sealing and the ability to take the joints apart easily. No flaring necessary.

View attachment 1566068
There are two versions of this clamp,stainless or aluminized steel. I have both on my car. I prefer the aluminized steel version because they are softer and conform better. my local store stocks stainless so if I want one quick I use what they have. I have had both versions on and off many times and they continue to seal great. I am sure there is a limit to how many times you can take them on and off but I have not gotten there yet. Also,you can overtighten one untill the clamp bars touch together and at that point it may or may not seal good the next time you take it off and and try to reuse it. One other thing... the stainless ones have super sharp edges on them so BE CAREFUL ! I cut the crap out of one of my fingers the first time I used one. the plain steel ones are not sharp like that.

I have the harbor freight version of this and it is probably one of the best tools I have ever bought. Don't expect too much from it though. I use it to reshape pipe ends. It will NOT expand stainless. It might expand 16 gauge mild steel if you really work with it. It will expand 18 gauge mild steel.

Last edited:
I found the pieces to the magic puzzle. They all fit snug too! Now its time to weld em up! Thanks for the inputs guys!!

IMG_0438.jpeg

IMG_0437.jpeg

IMG_0436.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back