• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Junkyard 5.7 check?

TDMoparGuy

Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
What's is the quickest way to verify that a 5.7 hasn't dropped a valve in the junkyard? Can you remove the throttle body and run a magnet into the intake to check for shrapnel or are you better off buying one of those bore scopes and removing the intake to check down the ports?

Buy at a junk yard that gives at least a parts warranty. I usually get engines from places that offer parts and labor warranty. Next never install without making your own verification. A gasket kit is a lot less expensive than doing the job over again.

I'm wanting to verify that they haven't dropped a valve before I spend the time and effort to pull it.

What's is the quickest way to verify that a 5.7 hasn't dropped a valve in the junkyard? Can you remove the throttle body and run a magnet into the intake to check for shrapnel or are you better off buying one of those bore scopes and removing the intake to check down the ports?
I guess a bore scope would be the best option, unless you can make the engine turn over with a battery and do a compression test.

Auto Transport Service
Back