• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Junkyards

1STMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
Who on this forum loves walking thru a junkyard?
The stories old relics could tell. How they ended
up where they are, the condition they're in, the
possibility of restoration. I've spent entire days
just wandering around amongst classics,
pickup trucks, the family station wagons. The
evolution of the automobile becomes clear.
Opening the hoods to gaze at long past
powerplants, opening doors to see past designs
of dashes. Knobs, switches, and speedometers.
Sad to see most just rusting away.

I used to. Unfortunately, most yards don't allow much browsing any more around here. I talked to the owner of one that I turn to for parts. They now operate more like a parts store, and pull the used parts as needed. He said that his liability insurance would not allow him to let customers in the yard any more.....

They were great in the 80’s when you still saw cars from the 60’s and 70’s. Now it’s just junk.

Yep, any of them around these parts have been crushed out of the old stuff - and in the case of
some of the local ones, they've gotten in trouble with the state over taxes and can't sell to the
public anymore, either.
I do miss the days 40-50 years ago when a fella could wander around one and pluck "goodies".

Absolutely.

Auto archaeology.

One of my first ventures outside the time/space continuum.

Just like time on a computer, 9 hours can seem like 25 minutes when in a junk yard.

Couple good yards still in my area, U-pull-it setup and everything. Unfortunately, most of the good old iron has been crushed - they rotate their stock just like anyone else, and while they still have 30 year old cars there...that puts them in the '90s now.

I need to make a run soon, now that I think about it, and stockpile some stuff for my turbo Mopars before all THOSE parts cars get crushed, too!

There isn't much in them of interest any more but it was a regular pastime back in the '70's and 80's. I and a friend would go every weekend, sometimes travelling hours to one looking for elusive Mopars.

Miss it I do. We had a place we always went to for parts. The owner and employees knew us by name and let us browse on our own because they knew we weren't going to steal anything.

Fortunately the LKQ franchises "near" me (60 miles) occasionally still get interesting stuff.

One currently has a 74 scamp and another has a 5th Ave, also a few 80's and 90's vans (PS bracket is in demand).

...and one of the best scrap/salvage operations I've ever been to is a bout a 75 minute drive the other direction.

Not only classic cars but other stuff that's worth "more than scrap" prices.

I was addicted to that place for a few years and quite a bit of my shop came from there at great prices vs retail or even used.

I worked at one for about 5 years. Still go in and cover for them every now and then. So i still see it all the time.

Any good yards in ohio that have old stuff?

Around here there's one or two that you can still browse through that get some usable stuff once in awhile...but for the most part all the pick-n-pulls are full of newer crap. In the last year there's been a couple late 60s A-bodies in good "junkyard" condition, a couple C-bodies that were actually pretty nice except someone had already gotten the engines and transmissions, and a '74 360 Satellite in such clean complete shape I'm still shocked it ended up in the yard...just gotta keep an eye on them.

Who on this forum loves walking thru a junkyard?
The stories old relics could tell. How they ended
up where they are, the condition they're in, the
possibility of restoration. I've spent entire days
just wandering around amongst classics,
pickup trucks, the family station wagons. The
evolution of the automobile becomes clear.
Opening the hoods to gaze at long past
powerplants, opening doors to see past designs
of dashes. Knobs, switches, and speedometers.
Sad to see most just rusting away.
Quality time!

In the 80s I would comb the junkyards, mostly for motors. Here is just some of what I found. Complete 426 hemi with 4 speed and Dana, A complete 413 max wedge, rebuilt and never run! 302 Chevy motor, 396-425HP BB chevy, 409s, countless 340s and tons of early hemis for $100 each. Things were good and cheap. I took a road trip upstate once with an engine dismantler. He bought engines to send to South America. He said to me mark anything you see with a yellow grease pencil and I will buy it. I got 20 pairs of 2.02 340 heads for $17 each. Times were good.

I used to also...

not too many good ones around anymore

all mostly newer crap now

20201207_165821.jpg
20201207_165858.jpg
20201207_165920.jpg
I'm lucky to live in desert country where rusting
away is a longer process. There are four yards
close by that still have lots of 50's on up.
I found a 1 ton '40 Dodge for parts I needed
for my build, in a yard about a mile from my
house. He's got quite a few Mopars. The next
time I get out there, I'll take some pics.

Last edited:
Yes enjoyed roaming them in 70’s and early 80’s. Dad had a junk yard connection. He drove 10
Wheel dump trucks and traded gravel for car parts. Door and hood for my 69 Charger. Small block Chevy and a Munci 4 speed to put in the Williys wagon.
Good times

This is one of my favorite passtimes. I was in a yard lasr mon th that had all of the eye candy lined up in the front of the yard. Several complete 1950s hemis right down to accessories and air cleaners. The real highlight for me was a complete Packard straight 8. They said it ran and asked if I would like to hear it. What else could I say but yes?
I have been using junkyards since the 1970s and have found lots of treasures. Real joy in sleuthing for interesting stuff. Sometimes I go just to look around and see what I can find.

Rolland

Auto Transport Service
Back