• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought a Milwaukee 2" sander/polisher

sam dupont

Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
I debated with myself buying it because its use is limited. It only sands and polishes, but it does it nicely. A friend has one so I used it and liked it so much, I bought one. What I like is the control, you can idle this thing right down to nothing. But for $200, yikes. That's how specialized tools are, but I wish I could do more with it. I'll be using it to prep some aluminum pieces for paint and the Roloc discs come in a lot of variations, including wet and dry. I will also be good for gaskets, but I still wonder what else can it be used for?

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 7.28.43 PM.png

Cleaning/polishing plastic headlight lens' on newer cars?

Cleaning/polishing plastic headlight lens' on newer cars?
Milwaukee says the small battery will last long enough to do: " All the trim on a car or polish a pair of headlights". It's a brush type motor.

I must admit I am a member of the Red Army. I have a bank of 6 chargers in the shop with a range of battery sizes to supply all the tools.
You can't go wrong with them in my opinion.

I've been a DeWalt guy for decades, still love them but we've been buying Milwaukee's at work and I'm super impressed! We've got a 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 impact plus drills and drivers and they are downright nasty little boogers. I'm especially in love with the compact 3/8 impact, super small with ridiculous torque capacity.. puts my 1/2 pneumatic impact to shame!

I have several of the newer Milwaukee coreless tools. Very impressive. I charge the batteries every couple months to keep them fresh. And of course I still have the 25 year old 1/2" corded drill, which could still break my arm.

I had been buying strickly Milwaukee tools since the 80's with no complaints. I have finally switched over to Dewalt and Bosch for corded tools because Milwaukee power tools have turned to $hit imo, especially their Sawzalls and 1/2" drills. I do however love my Milwaukee M18 cordless stuff. I have piles of that, it is tough as nails and gets abused regularly.

I have this and love it! Great for polishing small areas and when I need a quick grind on something with a Roloc disk. You will be happy with it.

I love my Milwaukee tools, I have a load of them. But when I looked for a sander and polisher for bodywork I decided on a plug in Bosch instead. I just didn't need the cordless feature when my sanding is right beside power outlets and I knew I'd be sanding for long enough to have to change the battery anyway. The minor inconvenience of a power cord is offset by the lighter tool that doesn't have to carry the weight of a battery.

Milwaukee is a fabulous choice, but keep in mind any variable speed polishing tool can produce varying results if you don't maintain consistency across all the pieces.

Congrats on the score though!

Milwaukee is a fabulous choice, but keep in mind any variable speed polishing tool can produce varying results if you don't maintain consistency across all the pieces.

Congrats on the score though!

She clearly knows her stuff & what works!

I debated with myself buying it because its use is limited. It only sands and polishes, but it does it nicely. A friend has one so I used it and liked it so much, I bought one. What I like is the control, you can idle this thing right down to nothing. But for $200, yikes. That's how specialized tools are, but I wish I could do more with it. I'll be using it to prep some aluminum pieces for paint and the Roloc discs come in a lot of variations, including wet and dry. I will also be good for gaskets, but I still wonder what else can it be used for?

View attachment 1427182
You will find a ton of uses for it.
We have a similar one at the shop with 2 spare batteries, monday when I'm back there I will get you a 3m part # for replacement polishing pads.
When buffing on a cars finish these will fit many areas the large buffer will not.
Not near the chance for burn through also on edges ect.
Nice purchase.

I love my Milwaukee tools, I have a load of them. But when I looked for a sander and polisher for bodywork I decided on a plug in Bosch instead. I just didn't need the cordless feature when my sanding is right beside power outlets and I knew I'd be sanding for long enough to have to change the battery anyway. The minor inconvenience of a power cord is offset by the lighter tool that doesn't have to carry the weight of a battery.
I too, have a Bosch 6" orbital. I like it, but it doesn't reach into the 90 degree angles like the 2 inch sander does. The Bosch has a number of speed settings and a soft start, but it's not variable speed with the trigger, so it's still too fast for what I'm doing. Otherwise, I like my Bosch corded more than my 6" pneumatic orbital.

I think this Milwaukee 2438 sander weighs two pounds or less.

Who was the seller for that? All the prices I see online are a bit higher, as much as 80.-

Who was the seller for that? All the prices I see online are a bit higher, as much as 80.-
JB Tools. They have a $10 coupon making it $189. Free shipping, $202 with tax.
2438-22x is the kit

Polished a cloudy headlight. Used Carnauba car wax for a few minutes.

P1017660.JPG
P1017661.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back