• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Looking For Feedback For A Move (Western States)

streetmachine

Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
Hello. Just as the title states, I've had a lot pondering my mind and considering a move to a Western State. The choices I'm considering are Eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana. So far, from what I've researched Idaho and Eastern Washington might be slightly better than Montana. Back in the day (2006) I did consider a move to the West/Pacific Northwest but, instead moved here to the Midwest (Central Indiana) due to different reasons at that time with the intent to go west someday. I haven't been to the West since then and miss the scenery and nature. I was stationed in North Dakota for three years and then two years in Japan prior to that with temporary duty assignments sprinkled in. Have traveled through my mentioned states back then.

I'm just wondering how these states are for quality of life and such. I'm not sure how crowded it is these days and how crime is? Cost of living depending on where you are seems to be a mixed bag. Anyways, I'm just seeing what type of feedback or suggestions others have. I'll mention that it would be just myself here. I realize there is pros and cons to every place. I'm just trying to carefully weigh my options and where I go from here. Thank you in advance.

Any specific areas for those 3 general locations that you are considering? It's a wide patch of land for each. Are you retired and older or middle-aged/still working?

Sounds like you’re looking for the ascetics of the West and the conservative nature of many of its citizens. I’ve been thru what you’re going thru and would of course skip the state I’m stuck in via marriage. Western WA is nice but ruled by Seattle. My wife and I were building a custom home in Idaho in which several of our friends moved to from here. The Treasure Valley is very nice, very conservative and a stones throw from the Sawtooth Mtn range. Prices have gone up because of the influx of many transplants from the coastal states. We unfortunately did not make the move because my wife had a return of our “C” diagnosis. How could I take her away from her family after that. My friends love it there - people, culture and all. I don’t know if you’re still working or plan to work - but I will add there’s not much industry there. It seems to thrive mostly on medium to small business. Cost of living is very tolerable.

It’s difficult to find just the right place but I wish you the best of luck.

Hello. Just as the title states, I've had a lot pondering my mind and considering a move to a Western State. The choices I'm considering are Eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana. So far, from what I've researched Idaho and Eastern Washington might be slightly better than Montana. Back in the day (2006) I did consider a move to the West/Pacific Northwest but, instead moved here to the Midwest (Central Indiana) due to different reasons at that time with the intent to go west someday.

Lemme get this straight; you currently live in Indiana and are considering moving to several states including Montana, but the location in your avatar says that your (current) location is Northwest Montana.

1712313034632.png

Lemme get this straight; you currently live in Indiana and are considering moving to several states including Montana, but the location in your avatar says that your (current) location is Northwest Montana.
I figured he was projecting ahead to the near future and Montana is the front-runner.

Get ready to open up the wallet and cough big time!!! The cost moving companies are charging, is out of this world. Even for a cross town move, the quotes are nuts!!! cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

5 years ago. We made the move from Northern Ky to Southern AZ area.
Mostly I was ready for a change, partially for the weather and scenery.

I had always said once retired, I was moving someplace warmer and less rain

My wife's sister has lived here for over 20 years now. We had visited a few times and what started as a joke. Became reality end of Aug 2018
After some life events , I Decided I wasn't until retirement. SO,,,,,
Jan 2018 it was time. Did some remodeling on the house , listed it early July, sold it in 11 days.
So made the move and zero regrets.

Now I’m confused as well. I had noticed your Montana avatar but answered your question anyway. Where exactly do you live now? If it’s Montana - not sure I get the question……

Eastern Washington and Oregon want to secede and join with Idaho because of the liberalism of the coastal cities. Don't move to Montana until you experience the winters there. I've been in Colorado for 24 years and it has become way too liberal since liberals from other states come here with their politics. I would go to Wyoming and find a place where the wind isn't such a factor. Maybe a pretty place in South Dakota.

In 2020 we moved to Prescott Valley AZ mild winters and does not get as hot as Phoenix. I’m still working but there is not much industry. We love it the only issue is medical out here.we moved from the west suburbs of Chicago.

Auto Transport Service
Back