• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just love this pic with the fatties....

65RoadRacer

Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
FalkenFatties.jpg

Looks awesome. How's the new suspension working out? Better times?

The 65 Belvedere is one of the best looking cars ever built, in my opinion. Great picture, you should use that as your Christmas card.

Looks awesome. How's the new suspension working out? Better times?
I went out in October but I was having those issues with the loose ball joints, thanks to the crappy installation. So I didn't even complete two sessions, and called it a day. I got home and found all four ball joints were never tightened, and one was backed out a ways. I did knock a couple seconds off, but my hope was to get a feel for the new suspension and lower the car a little and play with the adjustable settings. I'll have to do that in March when I go back out there. Hopefully my health will be fine by then and my doc will clear me to race.

:thumbsup:RoadRacer, nice hearing the updates on your car and best wishes until March!

Wow I love how flat she corners too
looks mean low & full of meats

gotta' love the suspension & rim/tires upgrades too

looks great, loving the look. Was wondering what kit you used to change your steering wheel and what setup you are using for that
I initially had the QA1 front suspension with a Borgeson steering box and I loved that set up. With the current setup I'm running a Control Freak Suspension with QA1 coilovers and a Flaming River column and rack and pinion. Both systems felt great on the track, and equal around town. It would be difficult to say one is better than the other.

I initially had the QA1 front suspension with a Borgeson steering box and I loved that set up. With the current setup I'm running a Control Freak Suspension with QA1 coilovers and a Flaming River column and rack and pinion. Both systems felt great on the track, and equal around town. It would be difficult to say one is better than the other.
im running AJE front tubular k member and running a flaming river rack and pinion, are you running a rack and pinion from a mustang? because mine is meant for a mustang and im not getting that much angle out of my turn, drives great just not much angle. Do you have the same problem?

im running AJE front tubular k member and running a flaming river rack and pinion, are you running a rack and pinion from a mustang? because mine is meant for a mustang and im not getting that much angle out of my turn, drives great just not much angle. Do you have the same problem?
The Control Freak Suspensions uses a Flaming River rack, I believe it's a Mustang unit. My problem is that it turns too far (it's a newer Power unit that has 6-inches of travel)

The Control Freak Suspensions uses a Flaming River rack, I believe it's a Mustang unit. My problem is that it turns too far (it's a newer Power unit that has 6-inches of travel)
oh wow ok. I have the opposite problem. Also, my sway bar would hit every turn, was a Hotchkis sway bar that was supposed to fit finest ended up having to take it out because of clearance issues. I need to get this suspension all dialed in:D

Both systems felt great on the track, and equal around town. It would be difficult to say one is better than the other.
I am REALLY excited to hear that!
I just received my complete front suspension including the tubular K-member. All parts are QA1 except for the UCAs which are SPC.
I recently had a huge problem with my stock front end from a UCA bolt nut that was stripped. Since I haven't been able to get even the most experienced alignment mechs to get the front end 100% right, due to "not enough adjustability" I have wanted to upgrade anyway.
My goal was a better front end, mainly for the quarter mile and cruising. It was difficult not to spend the extra money for a rack and pinion setup, but I got everything for $1,740 and it would have cost another appx $3k for that rack and pinion, and the coilovers would have just been because that's how those systems are designed. I already have 18 way double adjustable Viking front shocks.
From forum feedback, it looks like my expectations are going to be exceeded by the results!

I am REALLY excited to hear that!
I just received my complete front suspension including the tubular K-member. All parts are QA1 except for the UCAs which are SPC.
I recently had a huge problem with my stock front end from a UCA bolt nut that was stripped. Since I haven't been able to get even the most experienced alignment mechs to get the front end 100% right, due to "not enough adjustability" I have wanted to upgrade anyway.
My goal was a better front end, mainly for the quarter mile and cruising. It was difficult not to spend the extra money for a rack and pinion setup, but I got everything for $1,740 and it would have cost another appx $3k for that rack and pinion, and the coilovers would have just been because that's how those systems are designed. I already have 18 way double adjustable Viking front shocks.
From forum feedback, it looks like my expectations are going to be exceeded by the results!
I think you'll be very happy with the new set up. While I've seen rear-steer racks, I don't think one would work on the Mopars, plus, you'd have to swap to a rear sump oil pan. To go to a front-steer rack you would need to get a different K-member, and going that route, might as well do the whole coilover deal, like with Control Freak Suspensions. That entire front kit, including Viking coilovers, rack, K-member, is about $3200.

One side note that I really admired about QA1:
Their UCAs won't allow you to fit a coilover shock for one reason: They don't want you to mount a coilover to the Mopar aprons, they're not strong enough to support the car. Other companies, like Magnum Force, have flip kits for the shocks and wide UCAs to mount a coilover shock and do away with the torsion bars, but it's not recommended. I talked to the owner a few years back and he said he had that setup on his Road Runner (?) for about seven years and had no problems. I asked, "but have you ever run the car at the track and pushed on it?" He said he just drove it to and from work, mostly, but admitted that he was going to add a support tube from the firewall to the front frame horn, welded to the apron for support.

Those aprons can't support the weight of the car as is, and it's just wrong to sell kits that convert the front suspension to coilovers.

I couldn't find a "ready to run" kit for less than about $3,750
mount a coilover to the Mopar aprons, they're not strong enough to support the car.
Another reason to keep the torsion bars, and for drag racing, I think torsion bars are an advantage.
I think you'll be very happy with the new set up.
:thumbsup: and :praying:
While I've seen rear-steer racks, I don't think one would work on the Mopars
I think Budnicks uses or used one, but he said he wouldn't recommend it.
Thanks for the input! :moparsmiley:

Auto Transport Service
Back