• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just ordered a Borgeson power steering box

I can see if someone is faced with the choice of the two, the Borgeson is a better move. I have considered one. If I ever did, I'd move my Firm Feel box to one of my other cars. I try to save my hand-me-down parts to use on another project, usually to a car that I plan to sell. THis allows me to spread the costs across multiple cars.

When I found out how much it was gonna cost just to ship my OEM battleship anchor to FF from California - that alone was enough to convince me to go with the Borgeson.

Core charge and the part puts you at $650.
Shipping additional, x2 if you send your core in which might be less than the 250 core charge. Also a 125 powder coat charge, which I would do as it'll get banged around getting installed at the larger size and heavier weight. Should be done just to protect your investment.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/brg-800126/overview/
With free shipping. Hoses and pump you can do on the cheap if necessary, but you do get what you pay for sometimes.

Last edited:
Stage III box: $399 (plus $250 core charge)
Steering Pot: $35
Powder Coat: $125
Hose Kit: $65
Fast Pitman: $195
Fast Idler: $90

Who does NOT have a core to send?
Who gets a new steering coupler?
Who powder coats the case?
Who doesn't already have hoses?
I am not against the Borgeson but you padded the total with stuff that not everyone needs.
Shipping would probably add $90-120 just to ship the core....

I have a '69 Charger with ps. I've been going back and forth between the Firm Feel stage 2 box and the Borgeson box for a while. I like the idea of the 14:1 ratio without changing the arms. I know there have been complaints about the fitment of the Borgeson in the past, but others have said it's a perfect fit. I'm going with the Bergman direct-fit coupler as mine needs replacing anyway and I don't want to cut the shaft.
I've already done the shim mod and it's an improvement in steering effort, but that's it. Not sure how much of an improvement (if any) the Borgeson box will be, but I'm going to give it a shot. Hope to have it installed within a few weeks.
I'll report back.
Let us know how it goes. I'm thinking about doing the same thing, I'm just not sure if I can swap it out with everything in the car or if some engine components have to be removed to get to it.

Let us know how it goes. I'm thinking about doing the same thing, I'm just not sure if I can swap it out with everything in the car or if some engine components have to be removed to get to it.
I've done an install of the Borgeson steering box on A, B, and E body cars. If you leave the header attached, you have to raise the engine a couple of inches; I did that and it allowed me to remove the box.

If you remove the header, you can usually snake the OE box out with some creativity, and you might have to remove the torsion bar for clearance (we did on the last E body we installed it on). With stock manifolds it might be a little easier, but I think that needs to be removed as well.

It's tight, and you're also going to have to modify the column so that will need to be removed and installed a couple of times, plan on that. The other option is the extended coupler that Bergman AutoCraft makes. It's pricey, but will spare you from having to cut the column shaft.

The Borgeson box will go in much easier, but if you raise the engine a little it is far easier to install. Raising the engine means unbolting the mounts and a cherry picker (or carefully jacking up the engine with a block of wood) but it opens up lots of room to remove the OE box.

I've done an install of the Borgeson steering box <snip>
It's tight, and you're also going to have to modify the column so that will need to be removed and installed a couple of times, plan on that. The other option is the extended coupler that Bergman AutoCraft makes. It's pricey, but will spare you from having to cut the column shaft.
<snip>

Unless it's a manual steering column, then you will need to cut the shaft.

not with the Bergman AutoCraft coupler mentioned.... that's designed to maintain shaft length.

On the non-collapsible earlier manual columns you do have to cut it, I've done it. Manual box has a longer column.

Either way, you do have to shorten the shaft if going from manual to power steering.

Edit: added a sentence

Last edited:
On the non-collapsible earlier manual columns you do have to cut it, I've done it. Manual box has a longer column.

Either way, you do have to shorten the shaft if going from manual to power steering.

Edit: added a sentence
I'm confused. You said:
"Unless it's a manual steering column, then you will need to cut the shaft."
That implies that you will need to cut the shaft if it's a Power Steering Column.
I responded:
"not with the Bergman AutoCraft coupler mentioned.... that's designed to maintain shaft length."
Meaning: if you have a Power Steering column and use the Bergman coupler, you do not have to cut the shaft. I've done two of them.
Here you're talking about manual columns... however I was referring only to power steering columns, responding to your comment.
Just wanted to clarify.

I'm confused. You said:
"Unless it's a manual steering column, then you will need to cut the shaft."
That implies that you will need to cut the shaft if it's a Power Steering Column.
I responded:
"not with the Bergman AutoCraft coupler mentioned.... that's designed to maintain shaft length."
Meaning: if you have a Power Steering column and use the Bergman coupler, you do not have to cut the shaft. I've done two of them.
Here you're talking about manual columns... however I was referring only to power steering columns, responding to your comment.
Just wanted to clarify.

I was trying to clarify that using the bergman coupler doesn't stop you from having to shorten/cut the column if doing a manual to power steering conversion with the borgeson box. Your original comment wasn't clear on that point.

Auto Transport Service
Back