• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saved this 68 Road Runner 4 speed from the crusher. Any way to tell by the sales order number when it was made (month)

No title, No data build plate, no sales broadcast sheet. Just the vin on the dash. Car is rough and stripped of everything. It's a shell. Original color of car is that dark red (Moulin rouge?) The VIN says it is a 383 car. Pedals still in car. Any way to tell by the sales code numbers on the driver's trunk rail of when it was made. Reason is trying to figure out if it was an early made car in the year which would have the Inland shifter and later that year switched over to a Hurst shifter. Also, what would be the month date code I would need to look for in searching for a 383 motor and 4 speed to make it numbers matching? Also, the rear 8 3/4 and springs. Going to restore it back to stone stock.

Thanks,

Wizard

View attachment 1321817

View attachment 1321818

View attachment 1321819

View attachment 1321998

View attachment 1321999

View attachment 1322003
You and I are a lot alike. I'd do the same with it. Glad you saved one mire from disappearing. Hope to see it at one of the big shows in the future.

Back then I never looked into production date or fender tags or build sheet. All I know is I felt great driving a brand new red Road Runner. Only option was sure grip 3.23 rear, clock, because stock tach was useless, light package, Power steering and extra foam in seats. Being in the service at that time that was all I could afford. Was a 4 speed car. Kept car 3 years and traded it for a fully optioned 340 Duster.

Nice save on your 68. I saved a 70' parts car now dubbed the Roached Runner from the crusher. It was probably almost to far gone to be saved, but I did it any way. Now a super sleeper with a built 383, 750 D.P. built trans w/3500 10" converter, headers, 2 stage 125/250 NOS plate system. 3" exhaust, 4:88 w/spool, widened steelies with 275 drag radials.

20170311_163254.jpg

20170311_163316.jpg

20210530_123448.jpg

20210530_123505.jpg

First of all thanks for rescuing this car. Nobody should be 'crushing' ANY of these cars at this point in time. I've restored 3 road runners so far and have tons of parts left over including an 833 transmission from a 68 RR. So feel free to PM me regarding parts if you want. (I'm not looking to make money selling parts, I just have a lot of extra stuff that I should part with).

As far as restoring it back to original, I think that should be entirely up to you and what YOU want the final car to look like. I disagree with simply doing the restomod thing instead. It will wind up costing the same amount or more anyway and you won't have an original looking road runner when finished, especially if you put the 'big wheels' on it! But that's obviously a personal choice and I understand everybody had a different opinion about that.

Just go into it with your eyes wide open and don't let anyone discourage you from restoring this classic Mopar muscle car.

After restoring 3 of these cars I have no regrets about any of them. I didn't do it to 'make money' I did it because I love Mopar muscle cars and enjoy working on them. And so far, to my wife's surprise, I haven't lost any money on any of them! In fact I wish I'd bought and restored more Mopar muscle cars!

What ever you do, good luck and keep us posted on your progress. This forum has a wealth of information on every aspect of your restoration journey. :)

No title, No data build plate, no sales broadcast sheet. Just the vin on the dash. Car is rough and stripped of everything. It's a shell. Original color of car is that dark red (Moulin rouge?) The VIN says it is a 383 car. Pedals still in car. Any way to tell by the sales code numbers on the driver's trunk rail of when it was made. Reason is trying to figure out if it was an early made car in the year which would have the Inland shifter and later that year switched over to a Hurst shifter. Also, what would be the month date code I would need to look for in searching for a 383 motor and 4 speed to make it numbers matching? Also, the rear 8 3/4 and springs. Going to restore it back to stone stock.

Thanks,

Wizard

View attachment 1321817

View attachment 1321818

View attachment 1321819

View attachment 1321998

View attachment 1321999

View attachment 1322003
My '68 RM21xxx274085 was built on April 17, 1968. Lynch Rd. plant. Perhaps youcan narrow down your assembly date from that.

I agree... restomods bring big money. I saw a ‘69 Satellite with a Gen 3 and 6 speed go for $90k on BAT. But who says it has to restored “correct”. I turned down a free 383 recently as I already have a couple. You could put a 383 and a TF in that for cheap, and do it with an Autozone tool kit. Doing a Gen 3 and all the electronics isn’t cheap or easy.
Hey 440 PHIXX, do you know if that free 383 is still available? If not, do you know of any other ones for sale, or maybe one of yours?

Hey 440 PHIXX, do you know if that free 383 is still available? If not, do you know of any other ones for sale, or maybe one of yours?
I heard it got junked. It was a ‘69 Newport 4 door. They made over 2 million 383’s. Even though 1971 was the last year, they are out there. For comparison 750,000 440’s made.

I heard it got junked. It was a ‘69 Newport 4 door. They made over 2 million 383’s. Even though 1971 was the last year, they are out there. For comparison 750,000 440’s made.
I am an hour south of Philly so if you hear of another please let me know. Been looking for about a year now.
Thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back