• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saw that 2 more Tracks closed...

QuickBpBp

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
Sucks to see this as it's happening all over the US. I64 Motorplex in KY and Battlefield DragStrip MS. Any of you guys race there? Two Tracks I raced at years ago here are longer most Recent was Atco and the other was Englishtown. As if it isn't expensive enough to do now those racers will have to drive further or just stop racing.. Happening to BIG tracks and small.
1704754368942.png

I-64 Motorplex

January 5 at 2:33 PM ·

Dear Racers and fans,
It is with a sad heart as I inform you today, that I 64 Motorplex will not be reopening this season. As most of you know, the land was put up for sale by the owner last summer. The first potential buyer came to us and said everything would remain as is, but unfortunately, that sale fell through. The second buyer was unsure of what he was going to do with the property, but in mid fall, he said to carry-on. He has since decided that he has other plans for the property and after much contemplation and discussion we have decided not to reopen.
We will always cherish the friends and memories made at I 64 Motorplex. We have loved watching our Jrs grow and become confident racers. We have applauded your successes and sympathized at your losses, prayed at your accidents and grieved at the passing of our beloved racers and fans. We want to thank each and everyone of you for racing with us over the years.  YOU ARE FAMILY!
We have loved the way that many of you have stepped up and helped when we were shorthanded, fed us on long weekends when all we’ve had was concession stand food, provided things when you saw a need, advertised and promoted us and helped watch out for our grandson.
YOU ARE FAMILY!
The race track had become an integral part of our every day lives. The constant hustle and bustle, planning, buying, repairing, making schedules and getting ready for the race each week will definitely be missed. We always strove to provide the best racing experience possible. To give you an affordable, safe, family oriented atmosphere. YOU ARE FAMILY!
This is not exactly the way we want to wanted to end things, but sometimes circumstances are out of your control. Keep your ears open maybe something will happen in the future.
 Stay in touch with us. I’m sure there are not very many of you who don’t have Tim‘s phone number. I’m sure will see you at some races.
Love
Tim and Donna Baldridge
All reactions:

Last edited:
Unfortunately as major and small run tracks are closing around the country, many small unsanctioned tracks are reopening in those very same communities and vicinities that have strange off peak hours. It's just a reaction to no action by local representatives. Definitely lots of people will be keeping their ears open and many more will hear the howls of engines whether the moon is full or not.
I wonder how all of this is affecting organizations like SEMA.

Cecil, Beaver, Maplegrove, Mountain, though too far for most of us Zoo Yorkerz are still open for many racers in those regions. Fingers crossed.

We have to face the fact that we are seeing the end of the era we love. There is another thread about ice lawn equipment being outlawed.
Can you imagine what our overlords would think if they saw the smoke and noise going on and the fuel being burnt at a drag strip?
Our days of enjoying the freedom and speed of our cars are numbered. That’s why I am doing it as much as I can now.

We are the last ones, “to whom speed means freedom of the soul.”

^^^^^^ He gets it......

Exhaust sound of EVs is just not the same.....& they are the future.

Unfortunately im afraid its a dying sport/hobby/lifestyle. The save the planet forces are probably going to kill it. In a few short years state legislatures will likely make driving anything like an old musclecar or truck totally illegal everywhere.

It's also the fact that legal costs have gone up so much. The insurance and required modern day safety elements a track must have are a very heavy financial burden. It must be very difficult to make decent money where a few racers come Friday and Saturday in the summers if the weather is decent - the rest of the time, the track sits idle

It's also the fact that legal costs have gone up so much. The insurance and required modern day safety elements a track must have are a very heavy financial burden. It must be very difficult to make decent money where a few racers come Friday and Saturday in the summers if the weather is decent - the rest of the time, the track sits idle
Back a few years ago when we had phone books (and machine shops), I used to tell people if you want to know what’s wrong with the country, compare machine shops in the yellow pages (about 1.5 pages) to lawyers (about 20 pages.)

There’s an old track opening up at the house. These guys have invested a lot of money opening it back up but it seems like these 1/8 tracks around home never survive. I hope they do good but I’ve got a bad feeling about it. I believe there’s 1 track close to home that has survived and it’s a 1/4 mile.

E78E90D1-01F7-4DD0-823B-DB4CCB450F29.png

If you think you have it bad back east come pout west and try and be a racer. I am lucky enough to have a world class facility miles from my house. Unfortunately its rarely used. My next option is 300 miles away. Either to the south or the west. After those three options its 600 for the next closest.

If you think you have it bad back east come pout west and try and be a racer. I am lucky enough to have a world class facility miles from my house. Unfortunately its rarely used. My next option is 300 miles away. Either to the south or the west. After those three options its 600 for the next closest.
I guess these kind of trends come along in the times that they are meant to happen for some strange reason. There may be a downtrend as far as the love of muscle cars, but people are frustrated for whatever reasons and there will be a need for a purge through speed. I just hope sensible heads will prevail and tracks will be protected either through private investments or public programs, because 8 second cars are roaming around here and they're hungry.

I feel lucky to live in Ohio because I would bet we have more tracks than any other state. Not all of them are perfect but there are some nice ones.
Gus

We have 1 track 140 miles away , from ours. All the rest are 300 or more.
We have consistent racers/members drive 200 miles or more to race at SIR. Our track opened in 1966.

I found a phone book from the early 80s.
Went to the wrecking yard section.
I can remember when EVERY city had at least one or more junkyards.
One by one they were closed by environmental lawyers to steal the real estate!
Now there is only 1 large one left and it is owned by a company that is owned by a corporation that is owned by China.

Look in a modern day phone book and it’s a lawyers handbook.
Back a few years ago when we had phone books (and machine shops), I used to tell people if you want to know what’s wrong with the country, compare machine shops in the yellow pages (about 1.5 pages) to lawyers (about 20 pages.)

IMG_8593.jpeg

IMG_8592.jpeg

IMG_8591.jpeg

IMG_8589.jpeg

IMG_8590.jpeg

In my lifespan so far (since 1959), I was young when many closed
been to them all, seen or raced most of them too
We used to have 28+ (IIRC) maybe more Dragstips here,
a couple are or were 1/8th mile, most are or were 1/4 mile,
all started in 1947-1948, birth of drag racing
IIRC we now have 7 sanctioned dragstrips/tracks
& 2 dry lakebed races, very limited access

encroachment from development/urban sprawl
insurances, or property taxes/are big deal
even with Prop 13
you only ever pay 1% of org. purchase price annually to the county
But;
people usually from points east, that move in by
or near & a long-standing existing racetrack
& then bitch about the noise, they knew it was there when they bought
it's always disclosed

&
we still have plenty of wide open country, a shitload of open/rural land here
70% of the state is still rural open country, much of it flat valley bottomland
plenty of places they could still run/build easily
except for the red-tape, govt. BS, makes it almost impossible now

Insurance co.'s, it the legal extortion/especially liability
is a huge part of the costs to operate, probably 35%-45% of every dollar
then paying for $2500+ a day mandatory ambulance services,
anytime the gates are open
T&T sessions are a wash if only 20 people show,
it all goes to the ambulance co.

Sacramento isn't too long off either, been for sale forever it seems now
urban sprawl catching up
Famoso/Bakersfield, Sears Point/Infinity, I think are safe for now
not too close to town/s
Redding probably too, but it's too close to the city now also

all closed/gone
NorCal
Baylands/Fremont, Lake Oroville (me & 2 buddies tried to buy it, no go),
Vaca Valley, Lodi Airstrip, Kingdon (Lodi), Halfmoon Bay, Cotati/Santa Rosa

SoCal
Riverside, Santa Ana, Ontario Motor Speedway, Orange Co. International,
Fontana (recently new closed & the old), Lions, Long Beach, LACR,
Irwindale (the org. & new is questionable), San Fernando
I'm sure I've missed quite a few too

Last edited:
Our railways have to by law blow their whistles an all uncontrolled crossings. The city expanded housing to across the road from the tracks. A trendy upscale area was built? Then people demanded that he city stop the railway, from blowing the whistle at the crossing.
City could not do a thing, it was a Federal Government mandate. Too bad !!

Our railways have to by law blow their whistles an all uncontrolled crossings. The city expanded housing to across the road from the tracks. A trendy upscale area was built? Then people demanded that he city stop the railway, from blowing the whistle at the crossing.
City could not do a thing, it was a Federal Government mandate. Too bad !!
That's the way it is here with the trains... It's too dangerous NOT TO BLOW THE WHISTLES.

It will simply be a growing fallout and as a result, rampant street racing will be back. It has already ramped up here. 9 second cars are the norm with a healthy sprinkle of 8 second pieces in the mix. Sad and true.

Auto Transport Service
Back