• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just triple checking my logic here....

ToddMcF2002

Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
I have my distributor at 20 degrees BTDC and I'm running into interference with the valve cover due to the MSD cap bolts. I can just rotate this thing to get away from that interference and move the #1 plug to a new terminal with the same relative 20 degrees BTDC correct? Just double checking it won't be a problem with the intermediate shaft etc

msd_confict.jpg

Yup. Exactly what I did to get the tach drive location in a workable spot. There is nothing sacred about "the #1 plug wire has to be HERE".

I have my distributor at 20 degrees BTDC and I'm running into interference with the valve cover due to the MSD cap bolts. I can just rotate this thing to get away from that interference and move the #1 plug to a new terminal with the same relative 20 degrees BTDC correct? Just double checking it won't be a problem with the intermediate shaft etc

View attachment 1282573
To be clear, you’ll need to reposition the distributor drive gear in relation to the cam. Looks like about one tooth counter-clockwise, no need to move the wires in the cap.

Last edited:
Sorry maybe I'm being dense but why would I need to shift the gear? Why can't I just turn the distributor body to a new terminal and leave the rotor in its current position?

Sorry maybe I'm being dense but why would I need to shift the gear? Why can't I just turn the distributor body to a new terminal and leave the rotor in its current position?
you could if you relocate the wires to the corresponding terminal! 33imp posted "nothing sacred about location" other than somebody unaware of the changes might get a surprise when replacing wires if they didn't check first!

you could if you relocate the wires to the corresponding terminal! 33imp posted "nothing sacred about location" other than somebody unaware of the changes might get a surprise when replacing wires if they didn't check first!

Yes relative to the ROTOR the #1 wire HAS to be in the same place regardless of what terminal it is after turning the distributor. That is the rule I think. You can accomplish it by relocating the wires (after turning) or moving the distributor drive gear. That's what I'm hearing I think?

After re-reading the original post and noticing the aftermarket distributor (likely no vacuum advance). Let me clarify my clarification. You could just move the wires, maintaining the rotor position in relation wire position. No issues but makes for a minimum of a 45-degree rotation of the distributor housing. Most stock applications may not have room for a 45-degree rotation, vacuum advance unit being the limiting factor. Repositioning the drive gear is easy and allows for a 20-degree increment housing adjustment and no need to move wires.

Mallory "MP" distributors require also relocate the gear into the block around 90° off to match the cap number one. On this case would be aprox the same to keep the wiring position on cap. Pretty much easy

Auto Transport Service
Back