• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

K Member problem

snakeoil24

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
1967 Coronet 318 car swapped with many upgrades 426 Hemi Mopar block using schumacher Spool mounts.

1. Front ears of K member bolt up no issue to k member. Back two ears will not get closer to frame then 3/4 of an inch. Ive looked every where for possible hang up. Nothing is interfering. If i push uip on tail of auto trans trying to move it up we begin to have body lift. Second issue traditional oil canister filter body rubs against K member below it. No or minimal clearance. Any idea and also considering shimming.

k member 2.jpg

k member1.jpg

Engine must be to far back and the bell is up against the tunnel.

Inspect to see if there is contact between the steering gear, trans, or engine with the floor pan or frame rails. If there is cleance? the motor mounts may be in a bind holding the k-frame at a rear downward tilt. Loosen the mount and see if that helps. are these traditional Hemi mounts on a stock block? or are they big block style mounts on an aftermarket block?
Doug

The mounts are Schumacher spool mounts on mopar block
Is this a hemi or wedge block? if hemi is it one with the mounting ears like a wedge? Does the transmission mount and cross member fit?

Inspect to see if there is contact between the steering gear, trans, or engine with the floor pan or frame rails. If there is cleance? the motor mounts may be in a bind holding the k-frame at a rear downward tilt. Loosen the mount and see if that helps. are these traditional Hemi mounts on a stock block? or are they big block style mounts on an aftermarket block?
Doug
Its a
Is this a hemi or wedge block? if hemi is it one with the mounting ears like a wedge? Does the transmission mount and cross member fit?
Mount thR bolts to 3 holes in block no ears like 440

Will the transmission mount and cross member line up? This would tell you if the motor is sitting right as far as forward and back.

When I did that conversion the only thing that fit and worked properly was the Schumacher mounts. But I dropped the engine in from the top, k-member already in place, no headers. That was a Hemi into a 440 Superbird. Engine landed in the perfect place as evidenced by the fan in the middle of the radiator shroud. I hate to say drop it in from the top because of the amount of work it would be but it would be easier to see whats going on. Sorry for your pain.

When I did that conversion the only thing that fit and worked properly was the Schumacher mounts. But I dropped the engine in from the top, k-member already in place, no headers. That was a Hemi into a 440 Superbird. Engine landed in the perfect place as evidenced by the fan in the middle of the radiator shroud. I hate to say drop it in from the top because of the amount of work it would be but it would be easier to see whats going on. Sorry for your pain.
ThaNk you rick Seeman your Mr Keith black
In my book

Auto Transport Service
Back