• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick panel insulation adhesive?

Hilljack68

Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
What have you guys used for the adhesive that holds up the kick panel insulation?
20231230_171027.jpg

Really? I had to get under it with a putty knife to remove the original one... and there was some kind of adhesive on it.

20231231_143139.jpg
20231231_143202.jpg
20231231_143215.jpg

The interior is currently removed from the Charger and I have all the small pieces that need attention here under the bench. I'm 99% certain these are original parts, at least they appear to be to my novice eye.
I don't see the 1/4" thick fiberboard backing on the new insulation in your pic. Do they still offer them this way? In any event you can see there is adhesive present behind my old insulation (just as you described). Still tacky on both the plastic surface and the cardboard surface. Contact cement perhaps? I imagine a spray adhesive the likes of 3M "Super 77" would do the job.

I don't see the 1/4" thick fiberboard backing on the new insulation in your pic. Do they still offer them this way? In any event you can see there is adhesive present behind my old insulation (just as you described). Still tacky on both the plastic surface and the cardboard surface. Contact cement perhaps? I imagine a spray adhesive the likes of 3M "Super 77" would do the job.
Thanks. Yeah, I was actually talking about the insulation that mounts on the sheet metal behind the kick panel. It does have the thicker fiberboard backing on it, and it was definitely glued at Lynch Rd. There is adhesive all over the back of the original piece. I ended up using 3M Super 77 to put the new one on - worked like a charm.

20231231_154739.jpg

I've taken apart dozens of cars.
And don't remember ever having the insulation glued to the kick panel

I've taken apart dozens of cars.
And don't remember ever having the insulation glued to the kick panel
This is the first one I've taken apart. It's possible a previous owner could have changed things up a bit?

Don't know what to tell you guys. This Coronet had glue. I'm no expert.. I just know what I found

Auto Transport Service
Back