• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

kickdown linkage

Kessler21

Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
I just got my engine running trans is good and drive shaft is perfect however i got a cable linkage for my car,
wondering how much the throttle should be pushed back when the car is in full throttle is it completely back or
slightly forward "some room not bottomed out at the back" also how much give should it have toward the front of
car as well when the carb is at a full rest.

You want full sweep of the carb linkage . Carb should be allowed to fully close and full open. With no slack in your cable at close

You want full sweep of the carb linkage . Carb should be allowed to fully close and full open. With no slack in your cable at close
i understand now thank you full sweep at open throttle till bottom out on the kickdown lever and not much slack on the front end either

The kickdown typically doesn't "bottom out "

Make sure your throttle has full motion without kickdown hooked up.

Once throttle is good connect and adjust kickdown

The info on adjustments is in your Factory Service Manual.
I don’t have it unfortunately the transmission is from a Chrysler 300 from 1968 and the engine is from a road runner from 1969. My buddy gave me the transmission for 150 bux I don’t want to destroy it it’s my first car build. I’m suprised it works honestly

The kickdown typically doesn't "bottom out "
But it can, the valve spool in the valve body can bottom out and you don't want get any bind up in the linkage.
With the carb at WOT the throttle linkage should be almost fully operated, you should be able to push the linkage another 1/16" - 1/8" by hand before that bottoms out.
As said, it is important to check your throttle linkage is 100% and always returns to fully closed and there is no binding anywhere in the linkages. Stuck throttle is scary.

Auto Transport Service
Back