• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kudos to SPAL Italian electric fans, Durale flex fan, and Cold Case aluminum radiators

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
I'll be as concise as possible.
1965 421cu.in. Tripower GTO
and
1970 Roadrunner 440 6bbl
I have finally had success, so far, with the Roadrunner!
I bought the right electronic parts, 2x 70 amp relays, 2x 30 amp circuit breakers, heavy gauge wiring, 140 amp alternator.
The vendor my wife and I bought $5K worth of product from and Sam, the owner of Cooling Components brand electric fan and shroud assemblies have thus far left me with 2 Cooling Components brand primary cooling system radiator fans and neither have worked for either car. I have to say that I believe the 421 has a Pontiac specific problem in the gap between the water pump impeller vanes and the divider plate is too big. It is going to require removing/moving many of the Wraptor components and main mounting bracket (billet aluminum) in order to get the front half of the water pump off and the divider plate, and then I can check the gap. I absolutely think that I am going to find the gap larger than 1/10th inch, and a 70+ page thread on the Pontiac forum addresses that issue, and that small of a gap is critical for proper water pump function. My point is it may not be the 16" fan but that gap is the reason why the GTO ran hot, as it now has a large blade flex fan and it is running around 202-215 on the Interstate. Temps don't run quite as high at lower RPMs.
On to the Roadrunner...
I had Cooling Components largest, highest CFM electric fan and shroud assembly on my 26" Cold Case radiator. The 17" two speed fan and shroud assembly pulled enough air (3,600 CFM) on high speed through the radiator and AC condenser to hold a shop rag against the condenser, which is a "benchmark" the shop owner uses as a general pass/fail for fans. The problem is I had 3 fan motors burn up, and I'm out $350 for the fan, $200 for next day AM delivery of fan motor #2, and before I installed fan motor #3, I found a critical ground with a major problem. The small gauge battery ground wire termination was not grounded. The outer jacket of that wire was the only thing crimped in the eyelet termination, none of the wire. So both me and Sam, the fan manufacturer who was working with me on troubleshooting the problem figured that had been the reason why the fan motors had burned up, and in went fan motor #3, another $100...That fan motor burned up about 30 minutes into my drive, whereas the first 2 had lasted about an hour, so instead of the ground problem being resolved making things better, things were worse.
Because it's a 2 speed fan, it has 3 wires, 2 +12 VDC power wires and 1 negative ground. One 70 amp relay fed one 12V power wire and the other 70 amp relay fed the 2nd power wire. The ground went straight to the battery per the manufacturer. Each 70 amp relay has a 30 amp circuit breaker for over current protection. Every time the fan motor burned up, the process was the same: I smell the fan motor burning, and about 30 seconds later the MAIN 200 amp breaker would trip, shutting down power to the whole car. No wires got hot, the 30 amp breakers don't trip, and I have no idea why. While it was working, it kept the temps in a fair range, appx 190-204, but with a 180° thermostat, and an aluminum 541 cu.in. 6XX HP/TQ stroker in the works, and never having used the AC, "fair" performance isn't good enough. My engine actually ran cooler at 50-70 MPH without the fan than with it. So I have no faith in an electric fan as my primary cooling system radiator fan, and that leads me to where I am now...
I tried a Durale 17" low profile flex fan, not the full size blade flex fan, but because of the limited 3" of space between the Wraptor components and the rear of the radiator, it's got smaller, less efficient triangle shaped blades.
This is the full size blade flex fan I'm using on the GTO right now:
pdint_2_fal-2017.15721181030556.jpg

and this is the Durale flex fan I'm using on my Roadrunner:
der-19118_w.jpg

It does a great job when cooling is "easy" like driving 40 mph or faster. I am going to get a factory fan shroud and trim it down to have the fan positioned in the opening in the most efficient way, roughly half way in the rear opening edge, and half out. I found the 17" fan failed to maintain an acceptable temperature in slow moving traffic or stopped. Temps got in the mid 220s with the AC off, and that is way too hot.
I decided to get the 18" size, and that is my final step for the main cooling system fan, as I have utterly no confidence in an electric fan in that position. If adding the shroud keeps the engine from hitting the 205 or higher mark, I'd feel better, under 200 would be great. I added 2x SPAL 790 CFM 10" pusher fans to the AC condenser. One comes on at 185° and the 2nd one kicks in at 190°. Those are the settings I have chosen to start with. They both come on when the AC is on, and they shut off at 55 mph because they aren't needed. I'll tweak the settings for them to run as little as possible, yet maintaining 190° or less is ideal to me. I am still going to add the shroud, but what I've found so far are temps from 185-192, and no problem sitting still with the AC on.
So thanks to Cold Case, Durale, and SPAL for making really good products.
The 2x SPAL fans fit like Plymouth could have installed them on the assembly line.
20201016_173639.jpg
20201016_173835.jpg

Heading to Crowley next month still need that ride and a look at the RR. Maybe we can meet up. An extra pair of eyes can’t hurt and I will bring that fan blade.

Heading to Crowley next month still need that ride and a look at the RR. Maybe we can meet up. An extra pair of eyes can’t hurt and I will bring that fan blade.
I definitely want you to come by, but I definitely don't want a different fan. I need a 70 RR 26" factory shroud, because I sold mine because "I didn't need it anymore"...:BangHead::BangHead::nutkick:

UPDATE with more :thumbsup: and :lowdown: for the Durale flex fan and to a greater extent the :lowdown::lowdown:SPAL electric fans!
I am still going to try the "factory" fan shroud as its 2½" depth may fall right where I need it to effectively work with the flex fan, but if it needs trimming to make it a little shallower, I'm ok with that too. I believe the shroud will have a significant positive impact on the efficiency of the flex fan doing its job at slower vehicle speed and lower RPMs without having a negative effect on cooling at higher vehicle speeds.
Having said that, I am very happy to say that neither of my SPAL fans have burned up, and they are doing a great job of working in concert with the flex fan. The Cold Case radiator is also superb, and at speeds above 55 (current setting, I may experiment with lowering that speed) the Dakota Digital PAC-2800BT electronic fan control module shuts off both electric fans. Temps today ranged from 184 to 191, and during the AC system "topping off the refrigerant" exercise, car sitting still of course, AC running, hood open, the 2 SPAL fans ran the whole time because they are programmed via the PAC-2800BT module to do so whenever the AC is on. The temperature never went above 191, and was at 189 most of the time.
The AC dryer? (round cylinder w/sight glass on the top) had some air bubbles in the stream, so I had refrigerant added. That dropped the "at the vent" temps down from 62° to about 54°.
:lowdown::lowdown::lowdown:SPAL fans, Durale and Cold Case!
Also the TOTAL voltage drop on the HOT side of my fan power circuit is 1/2 or precisely 0.44 VDC
I certainly don't believe that that small a drop from the baseline alternator output of 14.73 VDC is enough to burn up those Cooling Components brand 17" fan motors!
The 200 AMP breaker has the biggest voltage drop in the circuit, accounting for 0.20 VDC drop.

UPDATE with more :thumbsup: and :lowdown: for the Durale flex fan and to a greater extent the :lowdown::lowdown:SPAL electric fans!
I am still going to try the "factory" fan shroud as its 2½" depth may fall right where I need it to effectively work with the flex fan, but if it needs trimming to make it a little shallower, I'm ok with that too. I believe the shroud will have a significant positive impact on the efficiency of the flex fan doing its job at slower vehicle speed and lower RPMs without having a negative effect on cooling at higher vehicle speeds.
Having said that, I am very happy to say that neither of my SPAL fans have burned up, and they are doing a great job of working in concert with the flex fan. The Cold Case radiator is also superb, and at speeds above 55 (current setting, I may experiment with lowering that speed) the Dakota Digital PAC-2800BT electronic fan control module shuts off both electric fans. Temps today ranged from 184 to 191, and during the AC system "topping off the refrigerant" exercise, car sitting still of course, AC running, hood open, the 2 SPAL fans ran the whole time because they are programmed via the PAC-2800BT module to do so whenever the AC is on. The temperature never went above 191, and was at 189 most of the time.
The AC dryer? (round cylinder w/sight glass on the top) had some air bubbles in the stream, so I had refrigerant added. That dropped the "at the vent" temps down from 62° to about 54°.
:lowdown::lowdown::lowdown:SPAL fans, Durale and Cold Case!
Also the TOTAL voltage drop on the HOT side of my fan power circuit is 1/2 or precisely 0.44 VDC
I certainly don't believe that that small a drop from the baseline alternator output of 14.73 VDC is enough to burn up those Cooling Components brand 17" fan motors!
The 200 AMP breaker has the biggest voltage drop in the circuit, accounting for 0.20 VDC drop.
Have a fan like the 2nd one in your first post. Kept the /6 pretty cool with the stock radiator and factory AC on a 100 degree day. Noisy little bastid though lol. On your AC temp....54 ain't bad but it's not that great either. Are you running 134 with a converted stock setup?

It's a Wraptor serpentine belt and accessories system provided compressor, not the butt ugly one that Vintage Air provides.
It was pretty hot and humid, and the idle speed was marginal. I'm going to probably bump up the idle when the AC comes on using the timing MAP of the Progression Ignition system, but I haven't got it yet. I may try using the idle solenoid for the 6bbl in the meantime, and just energize it when the AC is turned on.
I still have work to do on the cooling system, starting with adding the factory fan shroud. ALL of the chromoly stuff I added to my drivetrain, from the slip yoke to the pinion yoke, caps, and driveshaft, Strange Engineering had the best deals and had all the parts I wanted. 1350 solid U-joints.
The Wraptor, HitMaster launch control for my Passon 5 speed, McLeod RXT dual disc clutch, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing, subframe connectors, torque boxes, leaf spring front reinforcing plates, Calvert split mono leaf springs and sliders, Viking double adjustable front, triple adjustable rear shocks, and Assassin traction bars....and I'm sure I missed some stuff...
NO TIME to drive my car, and I want the QA1 front suspension realigned by the "old school" mechanic owner of an alignment shop nearby, and I have had a power steering fluid leak, I believe since I had the Wraptor added, and the Borgeson power steering unit installed.
It's a damn shame that a year and a half has passed, and I've driven my car less in that time than the 6 months before I had all that done, but it made a lot of bills, and the 2nd house in Mississippi took 3 years to finish. That was the biggest problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back