• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KYB rear maxing length?

Corvus

Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm re-doing suspension on my 67 coronet 318. I got 4452982 and 83 heavy duty leafs and KYB-KG5512 shocks. I noticed when I pulled the old shocks (likely original or vintage replacements labeld Sears Heavy Duty) the KYB were about an inch shorter fully extended. I also had to compress the leafs some to get the shocks on.

I've set the car down and it's sitting lower than I like still. I have 215/75R14s though.

So my question is if anyone is running these Gas-a-just on the rear with bigger tires or a raised rear end. I know Mancinis has the super stock length

Well, unless they're maxed out completely, the shocks don't affect your ride height. I wouldn't worry about that inch, but if you think the rear tires are hopping up off the ground over big bumps you could always add some old-school 2" shock extensions.

Well, unless they're maxed out completely, the shocks don't affect your ride height. I wouldn't worry about that inch, but if you think the rear tires are hopping up off the ground over big bumps you could always add some old-school 2" shock extensions.

Ah yeah good point on the extensions. I don't think they'd make wheels hop now, but a couple extra inches of tire had me concerned.

Yeah...OR choose a better shock. The KYBs seem to be a popular choice for the guys that don't know much about them. They have what is known as a DIGRESSIVE design....They are pretty stiff within the first couple inches of travel and get progressively softer.....exactly the opposite of what makes a great shock. What is odd is that they give a car with otherwise stock leaf springs and torsion bars the impression of better handling due to their firmness....UNTIL you really drive the car hard or corner aggressively.
Koni, Fox, Viking and Bilstein all make shocks that give a better ride and better handling. The Bilsteins have a PROGRESSIVE design where they get firmer through the range of motion.
Good luck.

Yeah...OR choose a better shock. The KYBs seem to be a popular choice for the guys that don't know much about them. They have what is known as a DIGRESSIVE design....They are pretty stiff within the first couple inches of travel and get progressively softer.....exactly the opposite of what makes a great shock. What is odd is that they give a car with otherwise stock leaf springs and torsion bars the impression of better handling due to their firmness....UNTIL you really drive the car hard or corner aggressively.
Koni, Fox, Viking and Bilstein all make shocks that give a better ride and better handling. The Bilsteins have a PROGRESSIVE design where they get firmer through the range of motion.
Good luck.

10-4 agreed. I just wanted a cheap option to get the thing on the road again. Not hard to improve over the ones that I took off that didn't expand at ALL after I compressed them lol. Everything will get another look when the 440 and bigger torsion bars go in. Was just concerning me that all the weight/shock of the rear end may slam on the outstretched shocks instead of being absorbed by the leafs at full rest

Auto Transport Service
Back