• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KYB out. Bilstein in.

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
Got around to swapping the rear Bilstein shocks into my 69 GTX. The upper sleeve for the Bilsteins was shorter than the KYB so I put the KYB sleeve in the Bilstein upper bushing. Very easy swap. I measured the travel of both for comparison.
KYB. 22 5/8" to 14 1/2"
Bilstein. 22 3/4" to 14"
20230610_112619.jpg

Thanks. Here are the fronts I did last year.
20220813_113345.jpg

I went from KYBs to Bilsteins two years ago and it really feels like a more modern ride. I had the same sleeve issue. I have yet to experience that old faithful mopar frame/bump stop slam over a pothole or bump when it's unavoidable. :) Enjoy!

Did the same in all 3 of my cars, you will like them.

so many glowing reviews on the bilsteins im just trying to rationalize the cost to get them to canada lol. I missed out on getting a set down to the Carlisle mopar show in july, and keep kicking the can down the road as it were. may have to jump on them this week.

Compared to KYBs, Bilsteins are like comparing this “man”……
92E2A6CD-ED26-4C98-A12F-92CCBDB1BAB7.jpeg

…. To this MAN.

638C6BD1-2C94-40A2-B8B1-B5C92EB37337.jpeg

What is the part number for bilsteins that fit a 69 b body? Bilstein does not show that fitment as being available. The places showing it do not list the part number, or at least not one you can find listed elsewhere.

Got around to swapping the rear Bilstein shocks into my 69 GTX. The upper sleeve for the Bilsteins was shorter than the KYB so I put the KYB sleeve in the Bilstein upper bushing. Very easy swap. I measured the travel of both for comparison.
KYB. 22 5/8" to 14 1/2"
Bilstein. 22 3/4" to 14"
View attachment 1477513
I'm curious, why?
KYB. 22 5/8" to 14 1/2"
Bilstein. 22 3/4" to 14"
View attachment 1477513
I'm curious, why?

I'm curious, why?

I'm curious, why?
I can jump in since I did this. The Bilstein sleeves were either too loose and/or too short. I used the ones from my KYBs as well. I will say I wondered if the Bilstein thing was hype after not having the correct sleeves, but let me tell you, I've never had any mopar with stock suspension take bumps like these bad boys. :) No more mopar slam bang over potholes in the road. Just a gentle/firm bump and it keeps going.

Look at this thread...
Bilstein rear shock help

Last edited:
The Bilsteins just soak up the bumps. Harsh shocks will not let the suspension move so the tire takes all the impact. Soft shocks let the suspension move too much to where you bottom out.
KYBs are a crutch that work okay with soft stock springs.
If you're running bigger torsion bars, leaf springs and sway bars,. the KYBs will be too harsh.

I can jump in since I did this. The Bilstein sleeves were either too loose and/or too short. I used the ones from my KYBs as well. I will say I wondered if the Bilstein thing was hype after not having the correct sleeves, but let me tell you, I've never had any mopar with stock suspension take bumps like these bad boys. :) No more mopar slam bang over potholes in the road. Just a gentle/firm bump and it keeps going.

Look at this thread...
Bilstein rear shock help
Sounds like what I’m after. Not sure what these shocks are, but my car handles like a dump truck. Would love to find an old set of edelbrock shocks, I know those work.

it’s a curious thing that bilstein can make a shock that gets rave reviews, yet they fumble the sleeve.

Sounds like what I’m after. Not sure what these shocks are, but my car handles like a dump truck. Would love to find an old set of edelbrock shocks, I know those work.

it’s a curious thing that bilstein can make a shock that gets rave reviews, yet they fumble the sleeve.
The deal is Bilstein makes the shocks, but they don't actually make a shock for our application.... If you buy the shocks from Firm Feel or Just Suspension you'll see an RCD sticker & part number...

What RCD has done is search the Bilstein catalog & found shocks designed for cars with similar weight to our cars, and similar suspension travel... the mounts are modified to suit our application... And naturally they couldn't get it right.... Just to much to ask..

But at the end of the day Bilstein makes a damn good shock & we can deal with the shortcomings....

Thanks, I didn’t think of them. Interesting that part number doesn’t show up in bilsteins own listings.
Also, if you do buy new shocks through PST, they give a 10% discount to FBBO members.

Mercy, they're proud of those rascals, eh? $$$

Auto Transport Service
Back