• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Labor Day Marred By Labor

Bruzilla

Local time
9:56 AM
Reaction score
We decided to take our Roadrunner down to our lake place for a Labor Day event on Sunday. It's about a 30-mile drive, and the car ran awesome. At the one point we were in a 65 MPH zone, I opened it up to 80 MPH and the car ran straight as an arrow with no shakes, jitters, or issues. I felt the way and SR-71 pilot does when he gets to speed and his plane acts like a plane. :)

So all is well, but I had to leave at 2:30 to go pick up my wife when she got off work. My son and I got about five miles from the lake when I started hearing this scraping/grinding sound start to come and go. At first I thought I had blown a speaker, so I shut the radio off, but the noise was still there and started getting worse. It definitely sounded like metal to metal contact, but I didn't feel any feedback through the steering wheel and the car was tracking fine. I thought maybe the traction bars were rubbing one of the rear tires, but when I took my foot off the gas the car didn't decelerate abnormally. Then I thought it was the brakes, but the noise was there before, during, and after hitting the brakes so I ruled that out.

We stopped at an O'Reillys Auto Parts, and did some maneuvering through the parking lot, and found the sound worsened when turning to the right and lessened when turning to the left. The only thing I could think of was a bearing was starting to go bad or a rod end had slipped and was making contact with the hub. So we decided to go back to the house and swap cars instead of taking the Roadrunner back to the lake like we wanted.

I went out yesterday and went to pull the passenger tire and immediately found the problem. The Rallye center was loose as crap! I checked the other side and that one was even worse. I had just gotten new tires a couple of weeks ago, and apparently the guy who changed them at Discount Tire didn't want to take the time to tighten the bolts on the centers, or forgot to, and they had been slowly coming loose until they reached a point where they were rattling and chattering like crazy.

So I tightened the bolts properly, the noise is no more, but my Labor Day wasn't all I had hoped for. :(

Last edited:
Hacks.

More than once I've seen them break the edge of Mopar centers trying to pry them off.

At least they didn't do that.

You lost me with a torsion bar rubbing the rear tire:realcrazy:. So are you referring to the lug nuts (ralley centers)? Hope it didn't egg the holes out, had a tractor rim work loose and destroy the holes.

Horror stories!
Bru, lucky you got the tire off!
Some "Hacks" will super torque the lug nuts on!
I'd tell the manager....
Tell them they lost your Biz....

What?
You let someone else do it?
I've gotten to where I put my tires in the back of the truck and just drop them off for replacement.
I got drafted to work on Labour Day.

We decided to take our Roadrunner down to our lake place for a Labor Day event on Sunday. It's about a 30-mile drive, and the car ran awesome. At the one point we were in a 65 MPH zone, I opened it up to 80 MPH and the car ran straight as an arrow with no shakes, jitters, or issues. I felt the way and SR-71 pilot does when he gets to speed and his plane acts like a plane. :)

So all is well, but I had to leave at 2:30 to go pick up my wife when she got off work. My son and I got about five miles from the lake when I started hearing this scraping/grinding sound start to come and go. At first I thought I had blown a speaker, so I shut the radio off, but the noise was still there and started getting worse. It definitely sounded like metal to metal contact, but I didn't feel any feedback through the steering wheel and the car was tracking fine. I thought maybe the torsion bars were rubbing one of the rear tires, but when I took my foot off the gas the car didn't decelerate abnormally. Then I thought it was the brakes, but the noise was there before, during, and after hitting the brakes so I ruled that out.

We stopped at an O'Reillys Auto Parts, and did some maneuvering through the parking lot, and found the sound worsened when turning to the right and lessened when turning to the left. The only thing I could think of was a bearing was starting to go bad or a rod end had slipped and was making contact with the hub. So we decided to go back to the house and swap cars instead of taking the Roadrunner back to the lake like we wanted.

I went out yesterday and went to pull the passenger tire and immediately found the problem. The Rallye center was loose as crap! I checked the other side and that one was even worse. I had just gotten new tires a couple of weeks ago, and apparently the guy who changed them at Discount Tire didn't want to take the time to tighten the bolts on the centers, or forgot to, and they had been slowly coming loose until they reached a point where they were rattling and chattering like crazy.

So I tightened the bolts properly, the noise is no more, but my Labor Day wasn't all I had hoped for. :(
It's a sad day in hell when you have to personally check so called "professional's" work to ensure you get what you paid for. That's getting to be the case not just with classics but newer cars as well. A quick oil change shop ( well known and advertised on TV) thought my truck took four quarts of oil instead of 6.5. Lucky I pulled the dip stick. They could paint the drain plug for tampering but couldn't put the right amount in to begin with. A tire shop used an impact gun and torque stick on my 2010 Escape when they rotated the wheels and ended up paying $575 for a distorted alloy rim. I even told them to hand torque only. The only places I have found that do things right the first time is a dealership. I guess a $100 and hour is the price to maintain a vehicle properly.

You lost me with a torsion bar rubbing the rear tire:realcrazy:. So are you referring to the lug nuts (ralley centers)? Hope it didn't egg the holes out, had a tractor rim work loose and destroy the holes.
Ooops... meant traction bar! :)

Glad it wasn't anything major.

He wrote "Traction" bars.
I don't know why he has traction bars on a Mopar, but hey.... :poke:

Glad it was a simple fix.

I had tires mounted and balanced for my 62 at Big O Tire. Dropped them off and picked them up, mounted them onto the car but had a bad vibration. I slid under and not a damn wheel had a weight attached. How in the hell do 4 wheels make it out without a balance!

He fixed it after I poked a little fun with him. Yes Mopars have pinion snubber that do the same thing but some just like that look, brings back memories I suppose?

Glad it wasent anything major, still a pain in the *** though.

I always drop them off, between left and right lug nuts, center caps and trim rings I know they'll screw something up. I feel lucky if they mount and balance properly without messing up my wheels.

Because they SCREAM 1970s. :)

18268646_10212848042417953_5184625974373268114_n.jpg

That's why I always change my own oil, rotate my tires and everything else that is within my abilities.

Now if we could only find some M/T Indy tires the look would be complete!

My brother is my Mechanic, and I am his Plumber.

He makes sure my cars are fixed right and I make sure his toilets flush right

End of story

What?
You let someone else do it?
I've gotten to where I put my tires in the back of the truck and just drop them off for replacement.
I got drafted to work on Labour Day.
I do the same thing especially when it comes to tires. In fact, up until a few weeks ago, I had my own manual tire machine and thinking about selling my balancer too. There's just been way too many instances where some tire tech (hack) over tightened lug nuts or left them loose or worse. Just have never liked anyone touching my cars and that got worse as the years rolled by.

Back in 2001 i had a 91 'gnat' ford festiva(kia/mazda). Took it to the lube outfit across Westminster blvd from Santini's where i was contracting cut & polish jobs on His custom paints. I was busy as hell & the 'gnat' needed an oil change. I asked them to change transaxle fluid too which they did, but with 90 weight......those t-axles run ATF. About 5 K miles later the differential developed a noise akin to an axle bearing goung south, which got louder & louder, but it never broke.
How could someone drain the axle, see red fluid & then refill with grease.....ay caramba.

Auto Transport Service
Back